SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #43,862 of 45,723
Yes we can say that so as zx507 is not as thick with the sound its more normal somewhat. ZX507 is a very good dap and sound really awesome but its android....

I have posted the most extensive tweak to allow ZX507 to perform it's best for strictly offline sdcard playback:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/post-15823504

Combine this tweak with the new 2.02 firmware improvements to sound processing and tuning, the ZX507 now has a highly refined organic sound quality that very much exceeds it's mid-tier status. I say this Walkman is worth a try for Sony fans who want a preview into what kind of technology and sound quality improvements Sony has done since designing the WM1 if you have cash to spare.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #43,863 of 45,723
Some times I wonder me how much fun could I have if i had kept my classic walkman players (Before hi-res). To compare with WM1A

NW-E507 had 1GB, was only music capable (at that time MP3/WMA/WAV) DAC unknown

NWZ-A818 was an 8GB PMP with a cirrus DAC, aside from the E507 it added AAC support

NWZ-X1060 32GB sony PMP, the first to introduce S-MASTER to walkman, same music formats as A818. Supposedly x1000 was the walkman 30th anniversary model

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #43,864 of 45,723
Exactly, did someone had certain files they wanted to play and they couldn't do that on the WM1 players? :)
Anyone differentiate 768 or even 384 to 192 in WM1A/WM1Z?

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #43,865 of 45,723
Anyone differentiate 768 or even 384 to 192 in WM1A/WM1Z?

It's probably just that thing, that you must have that capability on your device, or have the latest available technology, etc. I also had this fever for a while, when I was younger. It passed, and I'm really happy with the WM1A.

I'm only considering modding it a little bit, at least with the increased battery capacity. I intend of keeping the single-ended output though, but we shall see what the future holds.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #43,866 of 45,723
It's probably just that thing, that you must have that capability on your device, or have the latest available technology, etc. I also had this fever for a while, when I was younger. It passed, and I'm really happy with the WM1A.

I'm only considering modding it a little bit, at least with the increased battery capacity. I intend of keeping the single-ended output though, but we shall see what the future holds.
You should try balanced out. It does improve the sound with more power and I think also cleaner.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #43,867 of 45,723
You should try balanced out. It does improve the sound with more power and I think also cleaner.

I am using the balanced out most of the times. I was just thinking of Nayparm's hardware mod, and that at first glance I wouldn't wanna let go of the single ended output. Who knows when I'll need it :sweat_smile:

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #43,868 of 45,723
I am using the balanced out most of the times. I was just thinking of Nayparm's hardware mod, and that at first glance I wouldn't wanna let go of the single ended output. Who knows when I'll need it :sweat_smile:
I wasn't sure, but I agree I don't want to lose the SE output.

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #43,871 of 45,723
I also also want to mod mine by @Nayparm buy I dony want to loose SE as I use it from time to time as a LO. Also losing the Relays worries.me as I see them as a form of circuit protection.

I'd probably do the battery mod, the hardware modification if he has an option not to lose these two aspects mentioned before

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #43,872 of 45,723
I also also want to mod mine by @Nayparm buy I dony want to loose SE as I use it from time to time as a LO. Also losing the Relays worries.me as I see them as a form of circuit protection.

I'd probably do the battery mod, the hardware modification if he has an option not to lose these two aspects mentioned before

I'm sure he can keep the relays, and also the single ended output. I was gonna ask him about that when I had the possibility to have this mod done.

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #43,873 of 45,723
I'm sure he can keep the relays, and also the single ended output. I was gonna ask him about that when I had the possibility to have this mod done.
The battery mod looks best, 40h straight for FLAC (dont remember if he mentioned 16 or 24bit test)

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #43,874 of 45,723
Next week is the IFA Berlin 2020 (3rd to 5th September) probably the shortest show ever. I am in a mixed status between hyped and not, knowing corona time was a hard hitting event, even for a company like sony. I've seen no leaks of a new walkman device, so not expecting anything this year, but at the same time perhaps a surprise?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #43,875 of 45,723

I've not one single time used the SE in the 3 1/2 years I've had the 1Z so it will go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back