SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #43,397 of 45,723
And on 3.02 you hear that 1Z Vocals seem slightly less forward, more towards the backstage
than those on 1A?

Yes... but it’s more that they are fleshed out. The position isn’t as changed so much as the perception of the space around the voice, if that makes sense. But yes, in most cases there’s a sense of the voices being slightly back or less in your face which is something I’ve felt with Campfire Audio iems.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #43,398 of 45,723

Got my WM1Z and I’m listening.
It’s one of those odd seemingly incremental differences that is also a huge difference. Definitely stronger in the bass but mostly just more real sounding. Vocals seem slightly less forward but I think it’s that they are more organic and “rounder” so they have more depth. Some of my vocal test tracks are spookily real sounding.
There’s more definition in every way... more musical information.. The price difference wouldn’t seem to make the upgrade from the 1A worth it but as said somewhere, that 10% difference is all the difference in the world.
Soundstage is definitely more open with greater depth. That forwardness of the Campfire Audio sound that I’ve felt I had to adjust to is basically not really what it was. That is quite a change from the 1A.
The WM1Z shocked me when I first picked it up being twice the weight of the the 1A.
Totally agree:)
Finally someone to pull the 1Z up from the pool of 1A hype!!
Enjoy your new beast:gs1000smile:

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #43,399 of 45,723
Help needed here.
my wm-1A is behaving very awkwardly.
Shows balanced sign on with no headphones inserted. Shows charging when the charging cable is not attached.
The buttons all perform different operations than what they should and no music is playing.
Tried reseting (holding power for 8 secords but at no avail)
Any help would be appreciated

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #43,400 of 45,723
Help needed here.
Shows balanced sign on with no headphones inserted. Shows charging when the charging cable is not attached.
The buttons all perform different operations than what they should and no music is playing.
Try loading the 3.02 stock firmware and see if it helps. You can’t access the factory reset?

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #43,401 of 45,723
Help needed here.
Try loading the 3.02 stock firmware and see if it helps. You can’t access the factory reset?

I would recommend doing a full factory reset instead. Reinstalling a firmware does really nothing.

All parts of the firmware that are being installed are always read-only, so reinstalling a firmware will just replace those parts with those exact parts again.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #43,402 of 45,723
I have the 3.02 on.
I have done a factory settings reset - no result.
If i do a full factory reset i will then lose my music and have to re-transfer it so i am trying to avoid it.
Thats why i am asking if anyone has had a similar experience.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #43,403 of 45,723
I have the 3.02 on.
If i do a full factory reset i will then lose my music and have to re-transfer it so i am trying to avoid it.
Thats why i am asking if anyone has had a similar experience.

If you do a full factory reset you will only lose the music in the internal storage, just saying.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #43,404 of 45,723
I am sorry, I meant Catalina, I don't understand how I wrote that, middle of the night writing.
Catalina won't work as Sony never updated their installer for what Apple told developers were told back in 2017. Technically it's not supported on Mojave but works.

You can use a Mojave or Windows 10 VM on Catalina to install firmware.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #43,405 of 45,723
Hello guys !!!

I have been following the thread and I am delighted with the chameleon mod my wm1a is MX and I had passed it to the J region is there any sustainable change after installing chameleon?

Thanks I'm new to the forum ..

HD800s + WM1A is my set :)
You should try the WM1A/Z++ firmware to give a boost in volume for your hd800..

Hi all. My 1z doesn't recognize 512gb or 1tb card. It works fine with 256gb. Tested all three cards with my other daps without any issue. Still using 1.20 fw. Do I need to update to new fw in order to use the 1tb card? Any suggestion or advice of how to fix this? Thanks.
Can't believe you're on such an old firmware.
You losing out on all the benefits of upgrading.
Especially the modded firmwares.

Holding power does nothing but turn it off..
That also does nothing but reset your settings...
You need to do what Mr.Walkman said.. and do a factory reset.
Just load your internal music onto a computer or memory card before doing it..

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #43,406 of 45,723
That also does nothing but reset your settings...
You need to do what Mr.Walkman said.. and do a factory restore.
Just load your internal music onto a computer or memory card..

Well, unless it's some kind of hardware issue.

While experimenting with various things, something happened. When I was turning the display off while playing music, instead of the music continuing playing, the last ~500ms of music was just looping over and over.

A full factory reset helped solving that.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #43,407 of 45,723
Well, unless it's some kind of hardware issue
Yes I agree..
At first I was thinking maybe the balanced socket could have an issue, but then he said he was having an issue with other functions, which would mean the processor is being affected.
So most likely software..

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #43,409 of 45,723
Have done a full factory reset
Still nothing!

Then it has to be a hardware issue. Maybe someone can tell you otherwise, but unfortunately I think there is a small chance for that.

Aug 21, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #43,410 of 45,723
@Maxx134, 1.20 is warm and this is what I need. I've been to 3.0 and it starts to sound more like my other dap (sp2k and lpgt). If I got only 1 dap, I would definitely choose 1z and stay with the new software.

First of all, thank you to all replies of my help. Bought 1z when it first came out and always used 256gb. Rarely change anything until now. I remembered back then I used Sony MediaGo and transfer my music to the dap. This service is no longer available and not sure I must go thru this type of software to transfer music files. Here is what I did. I took the 1tb card out of my sp2k and just plug into the 1z. The 1z did not recognize the card but everything is fine with the sp2k. It was on FAT32 I believed. Anything I need to do before plug the 1tb inside the dap? Please advise. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back