SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #43,066 of 45,723
Soundstage on the ZX507 has improved with FW 2.00.10

Previous 1.2 firmware has the same soundstage as stock ZX300. Warm and intimate sound with the vocals very forward and with the soundstage size of a small room. Bass feels more closer and stronger in mid bass which makes it fun to listen to with bass heavy genres.

With the new 2.00.10, Sony seems to have tuned the ZX507 soundstage to be like a small concert hall. Vocals sounds more spaced out with a sense of airness/spacing to instruments. Bass has less mid bass and more distant sounding sub-bass. It’s no longer as warm as before, it has more treble details than before, with more emphasis on high tone and strong transient notes(splashy cymbals and deep bass impact)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #43,067 of 45,723
It is . It has many new features, new sony gold caps, new soldering that has some % of gold and a fun signature sound.
Apparently they made new fw and it has improved on Soundstage now but I havent heard it... as I sold it before they released it.

From when I had it and my a/b vs wn1z it was not that far behind honestly.
I still found android sucks and it made rare hickups but like small artifacts in the sound occured but rare enough that you wont notice to it. I did as I listen 5 hours a day...

Still 1a and 1z os is the most stable one. Android no matter gonna inject its poison in 1 way or another rrrreeerrree

This is why the Sony WM1A/Z, LPGT AND LP6k are the DAPs with my interest. I do not want Android.

Aug 13, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #43,068 of 45,723
This is why the Sony WM1A/Z, LPGT AND LP6k are the DAPs with my interest. I do not want Android.

Hehe now you got lp6k on ypur radar hehe woopy!

Have you also considered the master questyle?

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #43,070 of 45,723
Hi @MrWalkman,
I realy love your mod, it's very suitable for my taste and i also love fw2.0. Could you bring this mod on fw 2.0? Very appreciate. Thanks

Yep. Will take care tomorrow most probably - I still haven't slept, and it's 5:31 am here, so it's actually today, haha.

I just realized that while the WM1 firmware doesn't currently work on the A45 due to the different touchscreen, the ZX300 firmware should work just fine. Testing it now quickly :D

Edit: Yes, the ZX300 firmware works with the A45 touchscreen. More testing required now, but it's exciting to have the high gain setting on the A45, and stuff like the VU Meter or other visualizations, lol

1597376267572.png
1597376383503.png
1597376467470.png

Ha, look at that, Direct Source, 10-band EQ, plus all the other ZX300 stuff, it's crazy!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #43,071 of 45,723
Yep. Will take care tomorrow most probably - I still haven't slept, and it's 5:31 am here, so it's actually today, haha.

I just realized that while the WM1 firmware doesn't currently work on the A45 due to the different touchscreen, the ZX300 firmware should work just fine. Testing it now quickly :D

Edit: Yes, the ZX300 firmware works with the A45 touchscreen. More testing required now, but it's exciting to have the high gain setting on the A45, and stuff like the VU Meter or other visualizations, lol

1597376267572.png
Well, hope you complete it soon. I am looking forward to hearing from you. Many thanks

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #43,073 of 45,723
Dude, to shell out another $3,000 for another high end Sony DAP, I'm good with the 1Z and 1A. They feel like the music treasures I never had as a child. Super spoiled with everything I have in my signature. But I can say for a fact I earned it all through hard work and I still have money save for emergency. But I will say that I truly did WORK HARD for it all, but the results of my fruits of labor are these joyous toys. I feel fortunate to be in such a position. Then again, I took the cheaper route and mostly bought used. But all the equipment I bought I made sure had a warranty. And so far everything is working pristine. Really hope I can continue to share in this hobby with others. I'm thankful to the man upstairs (my way) for what I have, but most importantly, my wife, parents, and puppy to still be a part of my life. To everyone, keep appreciating what you have, even if you can't buy that next item on your shopping radar. It makes sense to just love what we were fortunate enough to get. :)

Well, that’s just the thing. When does a piece of equipment do it’s job and decidedly remain in place. My Grandparents had a fridge in their garage that had been running from 1955 till 2000. Why, because it did it’s job. And actually refrigerators are funny things as they are one of few pieces of purchased appliances which never stop running. But because the fridge did it’s intended function then it was allowed to stay in continuous use. Also my Grandparents were thrifty having lived through The Great Depression. The question is if the players leave you wanting more? Audiophile purchasing is based on both factual research and fickle emotions. In my history I’ve never experienced the sound of the 1Z/1A........as they simply sound better than any gear I’ve ever owned.

Now maybe the Walkman 1Z/1A Mark 2 will also be an improvement as that’s typically what we have come to expect? And who knows maybe MrWalkman’s firmware opened what sound possibilities were what was planned for our purchasing future by Sony?

What we have seen is that technology does not come at a gradual pace. Technological improvements come in bursts of progress with fall out refinement. It may be a clue as to the missing 1A/1Z MK2 models?

They can’t make better yet?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #43,074 of 45,723

1597376267572.png 1597376383503.png 1597376467470.png

Ha, look at that, Direct Source, 10-band EQ, plus all the other ZX300 stuff, it's crazy!
This is a very very long shot, by any chance were you able to get “receiver mode” into it? I’ve been wondering if the a45 might be able since I don’t think they added anything but the software option available when they Implemented it in the a55, man... as I said, it would be amazing to see the a45 becoming the best entry dap in full beast mode

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #43,075 of 45,723
This is a very very long shot, by any chance were you able to get “receiver mode” into it? I’ve been wondering if the a45 might be able since I don’t think they added anything but the software option available when they Implemented it in the a55, man... as I said, it would be amazing to see the a45 becoming the best entry dap in full beast mode

Yes, it works just fine :)

Screenshot_20200814-064117_Settings.jpg

Will release it in a few hours, I need to rest, haha

Guess I will change the name shown via Bluetooth to A45.

And it also has the DSEE HX AI, like the WM1 and ZX300 mods :)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #43,076 of 45,723

Dude, take as long as you need, I promise that as soon as I get some cash. I won’t get you a beer, I will get you a whisky bottle. Seriously man, impressive!

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #43,077 of 45,723
Well, that’s just the thing. When does a piece of equipment do it’s job and decidedly remain in place. My Grandparents had a fridge in their garage that had been running from 1955 till 2000. Why, because it did it’s job. And actually refrigerators are funny things as they are one of few pieces of purchased appliances which never stop running. But because the fridge did it’s intended function then it was allowed to stay in continuous use. Also my Grandparents were thrifty having lived through The Great Depression. The question is if the players leave you wanting more? Audiophile purchasing is based on both factual research and fickle emotions. In my history I’ve never experienced the sound of the 1Z/1A........as they simply sound better than any gear I’ve ever owned.

Now maybe the Walkman 1Z/1A Mark 2 will also be an improvement as that’s typically what we have come to expect? And who knows maybe MrWalkman’s firmware opened what sound possibilities were what was planned for our purchasing future by Sony?

What we have seen is that technology does not come at a gradual pace. Technological improvements come in bursts of progress with fall out refinement. It may be a clue as to the missing 1A/1Z MK2 models?

They can’t make better yet?
Good point. My DAPs work as intended. The DMP-Z1 is probably not going to last that long. Then again, when all the items in my home reach no where near the price of the DMP-Z1 including the TA, makes a person wonder how they can value their surroundings including kitchen items and the dining table.

I’m just glad that the WM1Z could be had for over 50% less than the $3,000 price tag. For that, I’m thankful and lucky. Whew

Aug 14, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #43,078 of 45,723
It is . It has many new features, new sony gold caps, new soldering that has some % of gold and a fun signature sound.
Apparently they made new fw and it has improved on Soundstage now but I havent heard it... as I sold it before they released it.

From when I had it and my a/b vs wn1z it was not that far behind honestly.
I still found android sucks and it made rare hickups but like small artifacts in the sound occured but rare enough that you wont notice to it. I did as I listen 5 hours a day...

Still 1a and 1z os is the most stable one. Android no matter gonna inject its poison in 1 way or another rrrreeerrree

It also has a weak output volume in european versions and mediocre battery in comparision to WM1 series. No need to excitement for me, I've had my history with Android based DAPs.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #43,079 of 45,723

It’s beginning to look like I should not have sold my A45 ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back