SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #42,991 of 45,723
I promised a short impression on the HD400S. So here goes. It arrived today. Off the bat the sound was a little closed in but just after about 2 hours of burn in the sound changed. I honestly can’t believe the sound I’m getting for a sub USD60 headphone. The unmistakable Sennheiser silky smooth treble with good definition. Mids that are airy and vocals sound very alive. Not too forward but very much in the mix. Bass is very deep and impactful. A superb all rounder. Nothing comes out as overly done. Probably one of the best audio purchases I’ve ever made. And it’s below USD60. Unbelievable and it’s not even fully broken in yet. Will be enjoying more of it the better part of tonite.
F1728C41-8EBD-4275-879D-260493860F54.jpeg

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #42,992 of 45,723
Hmm wonder what is it that your missing? Tidal? 🙃😄

Cant wait to see this to happen. Do it Do it ! 😁

We will never know but if sony not releasing it for older devices maybe it has some reasons to it.

That's cool not many folks here that owns so many sony gear...

How would you describe the dmp-z1 overall? In comparison to Th, 1a, 1z, zx507?

Is dmp-z1 a strong contender to eliminate desktop rig?
I have the money to get it, but would prefer to wait for the tax return next year. But whether it is still worth it or not is another matter. I mean, it would be around the same area where the TA is. So whether it's worth it more than the TA which I still use with my 1Z and cradle is up for debate. That, in itself, is a sweet setup.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #42,993 of 45,723
I have the money to get it, but would prefer to wait for the tax return next year. But whether it is still worth it or not is another matter. I mean, it would be around the same area where the TA is. So whether it's worth it more than the TA which I still use with my 1Z and cradle is up for debate. That, in itself, is a sweet setup.

My tax returns are small as I refuse to give the government interest free loans. The TA seems like a great buy compared to the DMP Z1 to me, but they do have different uses with one being battery operated and the other AC powered.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #42,994 of 45,723
My tax returns are small as I refuse to give the government interest free loans. The TA seems like a great buy compared to the DMP Z1 to me, but they do have different uses with one being battery operated and the other AC powered.
Being a freelancer has its positives in Japan, so I'm probably lucky. But who knows? Do I need it? No. I mean, the 1Z was pretty much IS a nice machine. When I sampled it, I still couldn't detect any huge improvement over the TA if at all? But the setup itself is nice. It uses the 1Z menu with a few extras, so the all in one makes it at least unique

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #42,995 of 45,723
Well, it's a different story with the Z1 :)

It's not laggy anymore on latest versions of the firmware. Those videos are probably with pre 3.0x versions.

I have no idea if 2.0x is still as fast as 3.0x, but 1.xx versions were surely laggy.

I had a FiiO M11 Pro, Android, and the OS was a real let down. It was a good reason why I decided to try WM1A and not ZX507 - and I'm really glad with the choice!
Dear Sir
Is there any chance to add eq preset funtion on wm1z firmware?
Or "all to DSD" function on wm1z?
Thanx in advanced.

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #42,996 of 45,723
Dear Sir
Is there any chance to add eq preset funtion on wm1z firmware?
Or "all to DSD" function on wm1z?
Thanx in advanced.

Nope, I can't modify the app in such way yet, especially without having access to the app's source code.

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #42,997 of 45,723
That's cool not many folks here that owns so many sony gear...

How would you describe the dmp-z1 overall? In comparison to Th, 1a, 1z, zx507?

Is dmp-z1 a strong contender to eliminate desktop rig?
I cannot comment 1A nor zx507 as I never try them.

IMO, DMP-Z1 >> TH > WM1Z. When running DMP-Z1 in battery mode, the SQ is so good, together with the wide sound stage and silent dead background, it is very easy to spend hours with it.

We can always find desktop combo that performance close to or exceed DMP-Z1, but DMP-Z1 provide me an integrated and transportable solution so that I can enjoy music in the home office, reading room, etc.

btw, i am still using WM1Z, TH, DMP-Z1 almost everyday and they serve difference purpose.

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #42,998 of 45,723
I cannot comment 1A nor zx507 as I never try them.

IMO, DMP-Z1 >> TH > WM1Z. When running DMP-Z1 in battery mode, the SQ is so good, together with the wide sound stage and silent dead background, it is very easy to spend hours with it.

We can always find desktop combo that performance close to or exceed DMP-Z1, but DMP-Z1 provide me an integrated and transportable solution so that I can enjoy music in the home office, reading room, etc.

btw, i am still using WM1Z, TH, DMP-Z1 almost everyday and they serve difference purpose.
I agreed with your findings, and there are desktop systems that can outperform DMP Z1, but it is neither cheap nor easy to get there

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #42,999 of 45,723
Does anyone who own 1Z compare the stock 1z sound vs WM1A/Z+ mod on 1a ?

I installed it quite awhile ago on wm1a, definitely sound better to my ears compared to stock firmware :)

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #43,000 of 45,723
I'm not 100% how it works, but maybe Roon analyzes the file while the 1Z tries to read some tags to determine if it's MQA or not.

I encountered this as well, and I'm gonna try checking on the file if it has some tags or not.

I have the same file twice (from two sources somehow), and one of them is being recognized as MQA by the 1A, while the other one is not recognized.

On another note, A55 arrived as well, and it's just a little bigger than the A45. It's funny that A55L models don't have FM Radio, but the hardware is there. You just need to change the region off CEW2, to J for example, and FM Radio will show up.

The WM relies on tags to recognize mqa. At one point I cleaned up tags and suddenly my mqa files were no longer recognized as mqa but just as flac. There are 2 tags required (can’t remember the tag names) one to indicate that it is mqa and one to indicate sample rate

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #43,002 of 45,723
Does anyone who own 1Z compare the stock 1z sound vs WM1A/Z+ mod on 1a ?

I installed it quite awhile ago on wm1a, definitely sound better to my ears compared to stock firmware :)

I've been going through different combinations and currently have my 1Z with stock 3.02J vs 1A with Chameleon (to 1Z) and am finding that I prefer the Chameleon 1Z. Going to try the 1A/Z+ mod next... if I can get away from listening lol.

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #43,003 of 45,723
The WM relies on tags to recognize mqa. At one point I cleaned up tags and suddenly my mqa files were no longer recognized as mqa but just as flac. There are 2 tags required (can’t remember the tag names) one to indicate that it is mqa and one to indicate sample rate

Ok, then that clears it up. Those tags could be added via MP3Tag for example, but you would need to know what they should contain.

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #43,004 of 45,723
I've been going through different combinations and currently have my 1Z with stock 3.02J vs 1A with Chameleon (to 1Z) and am finding that I prefer the Chameleon 1Z. Going to try the 1A/Z+ mod next... if I can get away from listening lol.
what headphone/iem u test with? i done it all on ier z1r, might be different result

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back