SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #41,851 of 45,723
As penance for my terrible puns, those of you in the UK, Amazon have reduced the prices of the Sandisk micro SD cards, eg 512gb extreme pro is £135.
I love this particular SDcard. If that is an authentic one then it is a good buy. Totally recommended for Sound performances, read and write speed, reliability
Sandisk, not Sandusky...

Lol, you can edit it

Jul 27, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #41,852 of 45,723
As penance for my terrible puns, those of you in the UK, Amazon have reduced the prices of the Sandusky micro SD cards, eg 512gb extreme pro is £135.
Got mine for about USD135. And they’re made in Malaysia just like the walkmans.

Jul 27, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #41,854 of 45,723
I agreed

Anyone who have tried installing and couldn’t get it recognized, try to do a reset all setting and see if it help ? May possibly have the play hours wiped clean as well ?

It does not contain any region code at all, and it was intentional. If region codes are included, sound performances would have been changed . If EU can’t have it to work out then my apologies. However, it seems random ATM that some of the same regions has it worked out and some doesn’t. It may be something else as Cerberus tuning has Zero region codes of any regions, period.
It would be nice to see if someone whoSe model is EU, also has not yet installed 1A/Z + modified firmware to directly try that Cerberus + and see if it install. I have got words that people need a Reset (if they have installed 1A/Z +). Just as @tieuly1 mentioned, his is probably not EU, but failed to install at first, and afterward got it done
Two ways to do a restart are:
1. Reset All Settings - will force a restart
2. Do a Power Down/Up

The Reset All Settings just resets the user settings. i.e. EQ, High Gain, DSP, etc.
It returns the settings to stock: NFC=ON, Direct Sound=ON, High Gain=OFF
BookMark list is not affected. Probably Playlist will not be affected either. (I am not using Playlist)

> Settings/Device Settings/ Reset/Format/ Reset All Settings

The Audio Play Time counter is not affected. It will only be affected if RESTORE TO FACTORY CONFIGURATION is done.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #41,856 of 45,723
It does not contain any region code at all, and it was intentional. If region codes are included, sound performances would have been changed . If EU can’t have it to work out then my apologies. However, it seems random ATM that some of the same regions has it worked out and some doesn’t. It may be something else as Cerberus tuning has Zero region codes of any regions, period.
It would be nice to see if someone whoSe model is EU, also has not yet installed 1A/Z + modified firmware to directly try that Cerberus + and see if it install. I have got words that people need a Reset (if they have installed 1A/Z +). Just as @tieuly1 mentioned, his is probably not EU, but failed to install at first, and afterward got it done

The Software Update tool needs a 00020000 in the SWUpdate.xml in order for European devices to be recognized. It works for Universal devices as there is at least one 00000000.

So unless someone will add a 00020000, it will never work for European devices.

Anyway, this is why technically it's not working. If you guys will find a way, good luck.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #41,857 of 45,723
I know MrWalkman is keeping some secret with his cooked Z+ firmware for WM1A, but it's probably more than 30 hours, that I have spend now with this firmware and almost all of Steven Wilson remixes analysed in all aspects.
I did some A/B comparison with an M11/H6Pro and I am still amazed how deep low frequencies can be retrieved with 2 of my TOTL headphones (Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas and Heddphone)... and it's still keeping high frequencies so "clean".
Can't we get some indication of what is applied in this Z+ firmware to extend so far the low frequencies ?
I tried to apply some EQ to a 3.02 firmware and M11 or H6Pro, but none will work in this range à frequencies or like that.

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #41,858 of 45,723
I know MrWalkman is keeping some secret with his cooked Z+ firmware for WM1A, but it's probably more than 30 hours, that I have spend now with this firmware and almost all of Steven Wilson remixes analysed in all aspects.
I did some A/B comparison with an M11/H6Pro and I am still amazed how deep low frequencies can be retrieved with 2 of my TOTL headphones (Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas and Heddphone)... and it's still keeping high frequencies so "clean".
Can't we get some indication of what is applied in this Z+ firmware to extend so far the low frequencies ?
I tried to apply some EQ to a 3.02 firmware and M11 or H6Pro, but none will work in this range à frequencies or like that.

Sorry, can't get into details, or indications :D

tenor.gif

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #41,859 of 45,723

Well said. Now the bass on my Elysium uni with 1Z+ J region can amazingly match the bass on my M5 paired with N6ii E02, both in quantity and texture. I’m just blown away. What is this sorcery that you’re using @MrWalkman ? :wink:

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #41,860 of 45,723
Sorry, can't get into details, or indications :D

Even, with a couple of more beers :thinking: .. :grin::smile::smile:

Basically, the sound is really impressive, but now I am wondering if it's not on the way of being too unnatural!!
In fact, it's really near the result I was looking for months to get a portable way of my Laptop+M500+THX887, and I ordered some portable amp like Centrance M8 V2 to try to reach more or less the Z+ WM1A results.
I was imagining that available peak voltage with WM1A connected to a powerful amp or even go tp some extra capacitors like DMP-Z1, would be the way to reach this type of sound... and it seems I was wrong !

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #41,861 of 45,723
The Software Update tool needs a 00020000 in the SWUpdate.xml in order for European devices to be recognized. It works for Universal devices as there is at least one 00000000.

So unless someone will add a 00020000, it will never work for European devices.

Anyway, this is why technically it's not working. If you guys will find a way, good luck.

looks like a simple enough edit. nice to see you are continuing development on your packages. although I am giving my ears a much needed ruler flat retuning for the next day or two.

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #41,862 of 45,723
looks like a simple enough edit

Yep, looks simple, but adding a 00020000 might alter the sound signature the tuning is aimed to bring.

Not my business :D

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #41,864 of 45,723
Nope, the same indications apply. You don't need to have 3.00 or 3.01 preinstalled.

And yes, the 3.00/3.01 firmware mods have the 3.00/3.01 sound as base.

Now thats a nice touch! we even have the freedom of 3.0 and 3.01! I wish I had a zx-300 to try your mod on there tooo.

I love the new walkman orange logo on the boot load! Its a perfect match !!! I like orange it fits with my truck color which is also orange ;P hahaha

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #41,865 of 45,723
Now thats a nice touch! we even have the freedom of 3.0 and 3.01! I wish I had a zx-300 to try your mod on there tooo.

I love the new walkman orange logo on the boot load! Its a perfect match !!! I like orange it fits with my truck color which is also orange ;P hahaha
So your truck is tiger orange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back