SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #40,861 of 45,723
Am I sensing that the Tiger is about to unleash the 1Z Romi at the buy & sell forum? :relaxed:

Haha it may be who knows whos the lucky one who will get the super BG Romi dap!

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #40,862 of 45,723
Haha it may be who knows whos the lucky one who will get the super BG Romi dap!

The dreaded “new-toy” phenomenon being the absolute delusion affecting reviewers from time infinite. Lock your 1Z in a safe till this excitement falls away.

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #40,863 of 45,723
The dreaded “new-toy” phenomenon being the absolute delusion affecting reviewers from time infinite. Lock your 1Z in a safe till this excitement falls away.

Haha we are never safe! Thingss will always move forward to new horizons

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #40,864 of 45,723
Haha we are never safe! Thingss will always move forward to new horizons

The reality that there is very little true audio reality subjectively. After now going back to the 1Z after a night of 1Z model-switcher 1A the original 1Z seems to have slightly less bass than I remember? First world problems with both of us.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #40,865 of 45,723
Now the $64,000 question...

If Sony does release another firmware update for our beloved Walkman will it be locked down and prevent downgrading?
Maybe Sony should reconsider its strategy for the wm1a and wm1z. A good approach in my opinion, would be to offer the player with a very sound hardware and software basis (as it is done now already) but open for software mods and maybe also supporting the modders with hosting sharing platforms and other technical support. I think, the relative open platform of the wm1a and wm1z is one essential part of the sale success. For me this was crucial to purchase a wm1a and not the Fiio M11....but maybe I am a dreamer....

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #40,866 of 45,723
The reality that there is very little true audio reality subjectively. After now going back to the 1Z after a night of 1Z model-switcher 1A the original 1Z seems to have slightly less bass than I remember? First world problems with both of us.
No matter how much technology tries to improve music, I think it’s going to be capped no matter how much we spend and change the equipment. Best to keep what I have for at least the next 10 years if not more as long as I stay in Japan

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #40,867 of 45,723
No matter how much technology tries to improve music, I think it’s going to be capped no matter how much we spend and change the equipment. Best to keep what I have for at least the next 10 years if not more as long as I stay in Japan

Amazingly the new 2021 devices will be so big as to attract the attention of law officers thinking the owners are inebriated as they try to make it from point A to point B.

That’s how maybe you save up for the 2021 Sony Walkman 1ZXL the larger more heavy Walkman called the Sony Staggerman. You buy it 6 years from now.

Jul 15, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #40,868 of 45,723
Amen !

You said everything right. It is exactly how I feel it!
1a is no downgrade in sq to 1z at all. Today its my first long listen with 1a and wow. So natural lifelike sound, better frequency balance no treble spike and more controlled bass.

I am at a point right now do I prefer 1a or 1z!
Yes 1z is the all mighty but, its very colored, thick and warm , substantially bassier and in treble too.

1a is neutral natural balanced I really like 1a with my Tia Noir very nice pairing 0 fatigue

hey tiger , did you try the latest '1A to 1Z' mod ? how did you find it ?

Jul 15, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #40,870 of 45,723

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #40,871 of 45,723
Any measurements somewhere ?
I doubt Sony didn't optimize NW-WM1A and NW-WM1Z to their respective hardware !!! It should be amazing to noticed that a WM1A could be improved to perform as well a WM1Z and a WM1Z to a DMP-Z1 !!!! Probably it can sound different, but can it be called improvements ?.

And if all to DSD is not active, it's probably also due to some underperformance of the hardware in a way or another and results will probably often a disaster than an improvement.

What is really pity, is that those 3 models were just a kind of proof of concept for hires DAP and that there won't be (like every time with Sony) any future models with USB-C port, Wifi, 2 microSD, Super Capacitor for hungry instant peak voltage headphones, and speed improvement to build music library.
Atually the WM1A is my best DAP compared to Hiby and Fiio (by far).. I cry that Sony don't explore further this way of TOTL DAP.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #40,872 of 45,723
Any measurements somewhere ?
I doubt Sony didn't optimize NW-WM1A and NW-WM1Z to their respective hardware !!! It should be amazing to noticed that a WM1A could be improved to perform as well a WM1Z and a WM1Z to a DMP-Z1 !!!! Probably it can sound different, but can it be called improvements ?.

And if all to DSD is not active, it's probably also due to some underperformance of the hardware in a way or another and results will probably often a disaster than an improvement.

What is really pity, is that those 3 models were just a kind of proof of concept for hires DAP and that there won't be (like every time with Sony) any future models with USB-C port, Wifi, 2 microSD, Super Capacitor for hungry instant peak voltage headphones, and speed improvement to build music library.
Atually the WM1A is my best DAP compared to Hiby and Fiio (by far).. I cry that Sony don't explore further this way of TOTL DAP.
Perhaps the differences between capacitors and interior cables are just not as vast as some would have us believe. I'm curious to hear for myself.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #40,873 of 45,723
hey tiger , did you try the latest '1A to 1Z' mod ? how did you find it ?

Will do it soon had work til 1 am yesterday. Run out of time.
Will load it in a few

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #40,874 of 45,723
Edited

Do to the recent discovered sound quality issue on my WM1A. OrionV2 will be rewrite.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #40,875 of 45,723
Cheers, All! :)

Just jump on board the 1A bandwagon -
someone who has a good experience with both 1A and 1Z sound signatures vocal wise -
are they more or less the same regarding the vocal presence?

Does a 1Z have more "standing out" vocals in the sound (a 1A - respectively a bit more "pushed back") or more or less the same?

Take care!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back