SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #40,471 of 45,723
Jul 5, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #40,472 of 45,723
Both flac and wav are lossless so you can always transcode between them without any loss. With wav you loose tags. Some people seem to be able to hear a difference between the formats, I can’t so go for flac for convenience and space saving. All my album art is 300x300 wich is fine for me

I am just keeping mine as FLAC files. I always leave my FLACs alone and make a copy album for other formats, like the one I have for itunes (iphones). Everything else accepts FLAC. I can down sample art size when I put the flacs on devices. I just think 1000x1000 JPG gives me better options later in life. I think my 2500x2500 PNG will serve me even better in life if we ever get to the point of high resolution dap screens and I need to make a larger resolution JPG from them.

Just keep saving towards the WM1Z. Almost 2/3 way there.

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #40,473 of 45,723
I am just keeping mine as FLAC files. I always leave my FLACs alone and make a copy album for other formats, like the one I have for itunes (iphones). Everything else accepts FLAC. I can down sample art size when I put the flacs on devices. I just think 1000x1000 JPG gives me better options later in life. I think my 2500x2500 PNG will serve me even better in life if we ever get to the point of high resolution dap screens and I need to make a larger resolution JPG from them.

It’ll be worth it. Best wishes. Cheers!

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #40,474 of 45,723
I have lqi cables and listen balanced out of a Sony NW - WM1A with Shure SRH1540 headphones, and the combination is really delightful. I don't like the phones as much out of my Lotoo Paw Gold. I like the combination so much, that I have considered getting rid of all of my other players and headphones and just sticking with the Sony DAPs and the Shures. I also own AKG K812 headphones and Sennheiser hd650 Headphones. The Sony players don't have as much technical detail as some of my other players but they are by far the most Pleasant to listen to. I did not own the Sony when I had my msr7 originals. I may try the msr7b. The Sony players are the only ones that approach tube amplifier or rich vinyl sound. Just goes to show that technical details don't equate to music enjoyment.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #40,475 of 45,723
Small correction - wav is uncompressed PCM while flac is lossless compressed PCM, this is supposedly where people hear the difference.
While it's true you cannot embed art work for wav files, Wav tag is now supported by the Walkmans but it's kind of hit and miss especially regarding double-byte characters.

This exactly why I use wav format as its like direct source in wm1z... I the compression in the way and want it to be as direct native possible!
It is my choice and folks dont have to follow my recommendation on that but it is a better way to experience music.

Every step counts at end and all have its own affectation on the end results....

By the way I used mp3tags and allllll my wav's files are tagged and have album arts that work in my wm1z!
Yea it was a hell of job to do it nut now its done. Boy I enjoy it!

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #40,476 of 45,723
Given that I posses 3 micro SD cards, decided to put my music as is, splitting across these cards (400GB, 512GB and the 1.0TB). I am removing the covers and using the directory_name.jpg trick from fw 3

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #40,477 of 45,723
Also, we already experience differences in how we each hear things but if there are reviews on here from someone using a certain iem with a WM1A /WM1Z with one region firmware and someone with the same iem buys one based on that review in their country with another region firmware with a significantly different sound signature there may be some disappointment.
Does this mean the Asia/Pacific XBA-N3 is tuned differently to the Japanese version?
(I know it won't be, just making a point).

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #40,478 of 45,723
This is crazy there is major flooding in Japan that happend yesterday, I dont know how that will affect future sony products now. World nature is going wild

It's their rainy season, happens every year, I haven't seen the whole clip yet and this may be more extreme than usual but they are prone to torrential rainfall and severe flooding.
With typhoons, earthquakes, blizzards, and 43c temperatures with 100% humidity the country takes a battering throughout the year.
Kumamoto is near Nagasaki in the south-west, I don't know where Sony factories are.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #40,479 of 45,723
I don’t know how many people were invited to do this (Or even if I should be under an NDA at the moment), however - I’m currently testing an updated version of one of the fw mods for the 1A, and - I can tell that this will bring a smile to a lot of people’s faces :)

watch this space...

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #40,480 of 45,723

After this weekend plus Friday on vacation, I got to 21% complete. WM1Z fund is still about 60% complete.

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #40,481 of 45,723
I make sure all music file are properly tagged and manually embed cover art into all of them. Then i run all of them through music centre to embed the 12 tone analysis feature. Only after all this is done, i transfer them to the walkman. This is my routine because I’m OCD like that. Haha. So all 8000 plus music files i have are perfectly tagged and with proper cover arts and 12 tone analysis.

Glad to see another OCD person. All my FLAC files are proper tagged. I will also run all of them through 12 Tone Analysis when I get my next dap, which I plan to be a WM1Z. Rescanning all of my album covers so every album has exactly the same size 1000 x 1000 JPEG. Of course I will also have a 2500 x 2500 PNG file so I can easily make whatever size JPEG I want to embed for daps. JPEG is lossy like MP3s and PNG is lossless like FLAC. The files are just too big in comparison to JPEG, which is why I embed JPEG. A JPEG and PNG look the same to me at same resolution, but when resized, that is when differences are seen.

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #40,482 of 45,723
Hi, for those of you that live in US I have an Sony Wm1a for sale. Thank you!

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #40,483 of 45,723
I don’t know how many people were invited to do this (Or even if I should be under an NDA at the moment), however - I’m currently testing an updated version of one of the fw mods for the 1A, and - I can tell that this will bring a smile to a lot of people’s faces :)

watch this space...
That makes the both of us. Currently about the test yet another version.

Jul 5, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #40,484 of 45,723
Glad to see another OCD person. All my FLAC files are proper tagged. I will also run all of them through 12 Tone Analysis when I get my next dap, which I plan to be a WM1Z. Rescanning all of my album covers so every album has exactly the same size 1000 x 1000 JPEG. Of course I will also have a 2500 x 2500 PNG file so I can easily make whatever size JPEG I want to embed for daps. JPEG is lossy like MP3s and PNG is lossless like FLAC. The files are just too big in comparison to JPEG, which is why I embed JPEG. A JPEG and PNG look the same to me at same resolution, but when resized, that is when differences are seen.
I never tag any of my albums, too much work for too little return. Just make little sense, so I got a bunch of blank no pic screens. Doesn’t mean I’m a flaky guy 😂

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #40,485 of 45,723
I never tag any of my albums, too much work for too little return. So I got a bunch of blank no pic screens 😂

Lmao too much for little return hahaha

I get crazy and hissing at my screen when I see no album arts. A big no no!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back