SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #39,706 of 45,723
Ok, so I'm listening to my CD recording of Green Day's song that is 320kb at 44.1MHz sampling frequency. Yet I listened to E-Onkyo's file which is FLAC file which is 192 KHz at 24/bit and my CD file has more drum bass yet I'm able to hear all the details no problem. Am I missing something and perhaps should not buy Hi-Res? O_o

Some people hear differences and others don’t. I usually hear small differences but can’t always tell which is the higher res version unless I really sit down and concentrate on minute differences which isen’t how I normally listen to music. Anything belowe 320kb aac gets fairly noticable though and I have very few files that go lower

Jun 16, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #39,707 of 45,723
My source: Windows PC to PHA-2A to my IER-Z1R as well as my 1Z to my IER-Z1R

Same song, slightly different titles:
1592293958181.png

1592294005192.png

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #39,708 of 45,723
C05BEF71-7D69-4458-84B2-38799CDCBCD3.jpeg

And there are probably more over the years

Just to let you know, HDTracks shut down their UK site a couple of months ago; very annoying and I'm not sure why.

On the plus side, there's another couple of resources that I can add to this list:

1) www.bandcamp.com Although I imagine this website is known chiefly for being a place where independent artists can release their own music, I've found quite a few artists I already liked who have released stuff on there too (Club 8, Curve, The Ataris, etc) . And it's also helped me to discover quite a few very good new artists too (Cigarettes After Sex, Jasmine Thompson, Wise Blood, Aurora, etc).
It allows downloads in various formats (inc. WAV and FLAC) and here's the thing; some of them turn out to be hi-res.
The problem is, there's no way of knowing until you buy it, at which point you can go to the file download section and see the file sizes.
You can however message the artist to ask, so that can help.
One of my favourite artists actually personally sent me FLAC versions of an album that I couldn't find anywhere in lossless from his own masters, so that was pretty sweet :)

2) https://uk.7digital.com
I don't know whether this site has international versions or not. It seems to be a weird thing where there used to be a site called 7digital, which may have ceased operating or something, but now I found this fully legitimate UK version by chance. It's very good in terms of the variety of music available; most genres, big artist selection, even Chinese, Japanese artists, etc.
You can select search filters for what type of file you want (e.g. 24 bit FLAC only, or 24 bit MQA FLAC, etc).
Unlike most such sites, this one often (but not always) allows you to download hi-res versions of specific tracks, rather than having to buy the whole album.

Finally, to finish up, I'd add that it pays to shop around. There were hi-res albums I found on HDTracks that were half the price charged by uk7digital or HiResAudio (Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast) and the reverse was true for other albums. Each of these sites (plus Bandcamp) have been the cheapest option for different albums.
And that's comparing like for like, in terms of format (e.g. 24-192 FLAC). Also, occasionally I've found higher hi-res versions on one site than the others, e.g. 24-96 on one site, but 24-192 on another.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #39,709 of 45,723
My source: Windows PC to PHA-2A to my IER-Z1R as well as my 1Z to my IER-Z1R

Same song, slightly different titles:

I’m going to contradict myself here, however I normally find 48khz (and multiples) files (DVD Audio as it was) sound better than those clocked at 44.1khz - that doesn’t really help though, considering in this case the higher res file is 96khz...

Different masters could play a part here to muddy the waters further.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #39,710 of 45,723
I’m going to contradict myself here, however I normally find 48khz (and multiples) files (DVD Audio as it was) sound better than those clocked at 44.1khz - that doesn’t really help though, considering in this case the higher res file is 96khz...

Maybe if I get the TA-ZH1ES and play with the DSD it will make a huge difference with that file? Didn't seem the case with the PHA-2A or the 1Z. Don't get me wrong, they sounded wonderful, but would love to see how I can fully expose those sounds.

And no Hi-Res debate. If it can’t be done, the DSD from the TA should suffice for that end game sound

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #39,711 of 45,723

I was going to say that. Different master editions.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #39,712 of 45,723
Hi, received my WM1Z recently, I have question about first time battery charging procedure.

Currently the battery is half full with two bars, should I use until the battery is completely flat, follow by charging to 100% battery full, then set to battery saver, turn off NFC, turn off Bluetooth and never power off until the last bar alert then repeat the battery charging process?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #39,713 of 45,723
I’ve just found an oddity, really not sure if it is the 1A or iOS 13.6 (beta) on the iPhone - using USB DAC mode and Amazon Music HD, always running at 24/192 - I’m kind of used to that, where it goes really screwball though is that I swapped to YouTube, and instead of the audio being at 48khz, it’s at 44.1, but - not down sampling - instead, the audio runs slower than the video.

Odd!

Edit: Just checked, and the same thing doesn’t happen with the DF Cobalt, it plays fine.

And no Hi-Res debate. If it can’t be done, the DSD from the TA should suffice for that end game sound
It should be noted that I wasn’t debating anything to do with hi-res, merely saying that if your file was an 88.2khz source then it would be different clocks, which could play into my school of thought, but as 96khz is a direct multiple of 48khz (so using the same clock) that eliminates that school of thought!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #39,715 of 45,723
Hello, received my WM1Z recently, I have question about first time battery charging procedure.

Currently the battery is half full with two bars, should I use until the battery is completely flat, follow by charging to 100% battery full, then set to battery saver, turn off NFC, turn off Bluetooth and never power off until the last bar alert then repeat the battery charging process?
Hi, I recently got the WM1A, I could be corrected but I think it is good to set battery saver, then fully charge and go from there. I recharge when the last bar comes up. I constantly change albums requiring the screen to be on briefly but often so I'm otherwise very conservative with the battery, setting brightness to 1, direct source on, nfc and Bluetooth off

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #39,716 of 45,723
I’ve just found an oddity, really not sure if it is the 1A or iOS 13.6 (beta) on the iPhone - using USB DAC mode and Amazon Music HD, always running at 24/192 - I’m kind of used to that, where it goes really screwball though is that I swapped to YouTube, and instead of the audio being at 48khz, it’s at 44.1, but - not down sampling - instead, the audio runs slower than the video.

Odd!

Edit: Just checked, and the same thing doesn’t happen with the DF Cobalt, it plays fine.

It should be noted that I wasn’t debating anything to do with hi-res, merely saying that if your file was an 88.2khz source then it would be different clocks, which could play into my school of thought, but as 96khz is a direct multiple of 48khz (so using the same clock) that eliminates that school of thought!
Oh I know. I've just seen on Facebook and the forums here how that could get hectic. But if someone can teach me how to max out the potential of the sound files, I want to learn. Pardon for not being specific :)

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #39,717 of 45,723
Hi, I recently got the WM1A, I could be corrected but I think it is good to set battery saver, then fully charge and go from there. I recharge when the last bar comes up. I constantly change albums requiring the screen to be on briefly but often so I'm otherwise very conservative with the battery, setting brightness to 1, direct source on, nfc and Bluetooth off
Thanks for your reply. But for the first time charging, I thought need to full charge 100% capacity? Subsequently charging I will set to battery saver. Just need some clarification.

Yes, like my WM1A, i set brighteness to 1, all DSP off, direct source on.

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #39,718 of 45,723
Thanks for your reply. But for the first time charging, I thought need to full charge 100% capacity? Subsequently charging I will set to battery saver. Just need some clarification.

Go all the way, then set it to Battery Saver.

Jun 16, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #39,719 of 45,723
So Quboz isn't the greatest now I've heard

I use mainly bandcamp as it has all file format options and wav!
Many of my artists are there and offer 24bit sound quality.

To complete my purchase I also love nativedsd.com they have rhe best dsd quality...

And also hdtracks.

By the way what you heard with cd quality sounding better then high res, its probably different studio releases and different mastering.

When comparing always make sure its exact same studio, like in bandcamp you can download the same album in wav, flac, mp3 and many many more that gives an opportunity to test how each file format sounds...

Yes Ta will offer more performance but 1z is really not that much behind.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #39,720 of 45,723

Good point, I can't remember now - I hope someone may confirm this for you. The first charge even though already at 2 bars seemed to take quite a while for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back