SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #39,616 of 45,723
Ok a few hours into Orion 7, here are my observations compared to Solis:

The sound is richer and even more holographic than Solis even though it has less width presence. Orion has more height and depth.

Solis is faster and leaner with the notes and compliments darker sounding headphones better.
Both should do great with neutral headphones, Solis would bring excitement with its impact and slam and Orion lushness and warmth.

Orion paired with a brighter headphones would be ideal in my opinion as it gives a warm organic sound which could be more muddied on a darker sounding one.

Detail retrieval is great on both, but Solis only seems more detailed because of its leaner sound. Nothing is lost on both of them.

Treble retrieval is not sibilant on both and I didn’t feel that any of them needed anymore bass on my gear. Vocals I felt were closer with Orion and Solis a bit further back. Also nothing wrong with both approaches.

So basically both are great tunings in addition to the excellent WM1Az revision B tuning which I found is closer to Orion than Solis.
So choose a tuning that best matches your gear and you will be covered with exceptional sound.

Thank you to all the creators 🙏🏼 you guys are amazing.

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #39,617 of 45,723
Hey guys, need your honest answer. When using either the MDR-Z7M2 and MDR-Z1R, what volume output is your player at High Gain when using the 4.4mm? Is it 80 or 75? I find that 45 is comfortable when using either the IER-Z1R and MDR-1AM2. If someone can let me know, this might help me find the right volume to use to get the best performance for those cans and perhaps understand why they felt underwhelming in performance when using the 1Z and 1A. Might be that I just didn't put in enough volume juice but want to make sure I don't go deaf.

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #39,618 of 45,723
Hey guys, need your honest answer. When using either the MDR-Z7M2 and MDR-Z1R, what volume output is your player at High Gain when using the 4.4mm? Is it 80 or 75? I find that 45 is comfortable when using either the IER-Z1R and MDR-1AM2. If someone can let me know, this might help me find the right volume to use to get the best performance for those cans and perhaps understand why they felt underwhelming in performance when using the 1Z and 1A. Might be that I just didn't put in enough volume juice but want to make sure I don't go deaf.
Unfortunately the answer will be different for pretty much every user...

Some, to me - have laughably low volume levels, on the flip of that, if you ever get the opportunity to go to a CanJam, you wonder how everyone isn’t deaf!

I remember the sheer look of horror as one member (I believe accidentally) powered up a pair of Utopias at a volume powerful enough to clip the drivers, quite sure they were toast after that!

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #39,619 of 45,723
Unfortunately the answer will be different for pretty much every user...

Some, to me - have laughably low volume levels, on the flip of that, if you ever get the opportunity to go to a CanJam, you wonder how everyone isn’t deaf!

I remember the sheer look of horror as one member (I believe accidentally) powered up a pair of Utopias at a volume powerful enough to clip the drivers, quite sure they were toast after that!
I would still like numbers, so anyone who can let me know would help. Thanks in advance

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #39,620 of 45,723
I use a volume between 80-100 on high gain, depending on the recording on my Focal Clear. Anything lower than that and I don’t get any enjoyment. The Clears have an impedance of 55 Ohms, which is comparable to Z7M2, the Z1R are 64Ohms which is also in the same ballpark.

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #39,621 of 45,723
I use a volume between 80-100 on high gain, depending on the recording on my Focal Clear. Anything lower than that and I don’t get any enjoyment. The Clears have an impedance of 55 Ohms, which is comparable to Z7M2, the Z1R are 64Ohms which is also in the same ballpark.
Ok. So if I don’t go past 100, it should be considered dangerous. Good to know. Thank you

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #39,622 of 45,723
Ok. So if I don’t go past 100, it should be considered dangerous. Good to know. Thank you
Each headphone has different power requirements, but those stated should be in the same ballpark power wise. An HD800s would probably require you to go all the way up to 120, and still wouldn’t be loud enough to drive them comfortably.

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #39,623 of 45,723
Each headphone has different power requirements, but those stated should be in the same ballpark power wise. An HD800s would probably require you to go all the way up to 120, and still wouldn’t be loud enough to drive them comfortably.
Those 300 ohms are crazy. I tried a pair of HiFiman headphones and even at the max
120, they were barely audible. It’s nuts!

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #39,624 of 45,723
Although HD800 is rated by Sennheiser as 300Ohms. The actual input impendence across the frequency isnt linear. It can as high as 600ohms and more. In my opinon, to make HD800 sound it's ultimate best, you will require really high powered desktop class amps or something like the DMP-Z1. The WM1 series is more suitable for IEMs and lower impedance headphones.

In my experience, the amplifer ability make the headphone sound loud isn't good enough, the amp must be able to make it sound dynamic on transient.

See the hd800 impedance graphs here:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/brilliant-sennheiser-hd-800-page-2

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #39,625 of 45,723
Although HD800 is rated by Sennheiser as 300Ohms. The actual input impendence across the frequency isnt linear. It can as high as 600ohms and more. In my opinon, to make HD800 sound it's ultimate best, you will require really high powered desktop class amps or something like the DMP-Z1. The WM1 series is more suitable for IEMs and lower impedance headphones.

See the hd800 impedance graphs here:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/brilliant-sennheiser-hd-800-page-2
So 64 ohms is considered low impedance?

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #39,626 of 45,723
Jun 14, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #39,627 of 45,723
Jun 14, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #39,628 of 45,723
What volume do you listen to your Z7M2 on?

I have not yet received them. But my tia noir iem are at 70 to 80 and dsd can go to 95 at low gain.

But I most often listen at 68 regularly low gain

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #39,629 of 45,723
I have not yet received them. But my tia noir iem are at 70 to 80 and dsd can go to 95 at low gain.

But I most often listen at 68 regularly low gain
Sounds good. Thank you and cheers. Gotta see what high gain gives me

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #39,630 of 45,723
Sounds good. Thank you and cheers. Gotta see what high gain gives me

Reason why I dont use high is I feel it mess up the frequencies balance. Feel uneven and some what ot as linear as the low gain.

It is possibly because I have an iem and high gain is better for headphones... it is to try Id go for sure high gain in your case for headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back