SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #39,646 of 45,723
I decided to get the Z7M2! It was amazing with the TA and DSD!!

I never heard the Ta I wonder how it sound vs 1z?

Congrats you are a true sony fan now 😁🙃🙂
After you heard so many headphones that means a lot! Z7M2 is really good then

Jun 15, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #39,648 of 45,723
I wonder which will sound better?

Firmware and hardware modded WM1Z vs Tazzy vs DMPZ1.

Assuming we are running MDR Z1R or IER Z1R

I cant answer that havent heard them enough. I do know 1z moded is really something, and I also feel its a preferential tonality choice. Dmp is very different in sound tonality vs 1z.
1z is very fun and pleasant sounding while its still an audiophile dap. Dmp goes very linearly tuned and more serious sound presentation. While 1z can more fun oriented.

I think 1z can drive mdr-z1r and ier-z1r farely super well. I am sure it can be better driven by Ta or dmp for sure, a few notches will be improved in sq department

Jun 15, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #39,649 of 45,723
Wow, looking at the volume numbers, I maybe one of those who listen at very high volume. Right now I’m using 1Z for i4 and M5 only. Both in high gain, i4 volume level around 75-85 and M5 around 55-62. Of course when listening to DSD, I need to increase the volume even more (it will depend on the DSD recording though).

Jun 15, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #39,650 of 45,723
Wow, looking at the volume numbers, I maybe one of those who listen at very high volume. Right now I’m using 1Z for i4 and M5 only. Both in high gain, i4 volume level around 75-85 and M5 around 55-62. Of course when listening to DSD, I need to increase the volume even more (it will depend on the DSD recording though).

Yes dsd is often lower recorded due to generally having wider dynamic range

Jun 15, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #39,651 of 45,723
Jun 15, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #39,652 of 45,723
To help the dsd volume I set compensation to 0 and I like sharp roll-off

@nc8000

That sounds about right for m5 in high gain but still pretty loud at 50&+ be careful.
Also M5 is a tubeless design it what makes you increase volume as its like an open headphone effect

@normie610

Jun 15, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #39,653 of 45,723

@nc8000

That sounds about right for m5 in high gain but still pretty loud at 50&+ be careful.
Also M5 is a tubeless design it what makes you increase volume as its like an open headphone effect

@normie610
The Roll-off option for DSD is highly dependent on the genre of music in my experience. Since most DSD recordings I listen to are classical music recordings from NativeDSD.com I tend to favor Slow Roll-off.

Jun 15, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #39,654 of 45,723
The Roll-off option for DSD is highly dependent on the genre of music in my experience. Since most DSD recordings I listen to are classical music recordings from NativeDSD.com I tend to favor Slow Roll-off.

Yes true preference and music genra depending.

I feel fast roll-off kinda more realistic sounding.
Slow roll-off is more warm and lush, to much for me.

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #39,655 of 45,723

@nc8000

@normie610

yeah that‘s mostly for hi res tracks. AAC or 16/44 files usually are louder, so volume level will be 45-55.

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #39,656 of 45,723
Does anyone know if the WM1A has a song limit? I've had mines for about about a year now and recently when I load songs to it via Mediago or the PC Music Center it doesn't show up on the player when I disconnect it. It's weird because when I try to manually rebuild the database the thing just hangs for hours. I have 81,201 songs on it right now and I have about 21 gb left on my micro sd card.

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #39,657 of 45,723
Does anyone know if the WM1A has a song limit? I've had mines for about about a year now and recently when I load songs to it via Mediago or the PC Music Center it doesn't show up on the player when I disconnect it. It's weird because when I try to manually rebuild the database the thing just hangs for hours. I have 81,201 songs on it right now and I have about 21 gb left on my micro sd card.
No, it doesn't has a limit as I think so. Mine has ca. 58.653 tracks and takes to rebuild the entire database (a complete rebuild takes 30 min) 2 minutes

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #39,658 of 45,723

There probably is a limit decided by the size of internal memory (not storage). I have about 42.000 tracks with no problem but the A45 gave up at about 38.000 tracks. Sony have as far as I know not published any info about track limit on any of their players

Jun 15, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #39,659 of 45,723
Even though the walkman is very well shielded from external interference, there's also internal interference in the form of electrical noise being generated by the walkman's own internal electrical components, which includes the micro sdcard.

When the sdcard is being accessed by the walkman, there is electrical noise being generated. This noise varies according to the sdcard's internal design(how much shielding, SLC, MLC, TLC and etc). Usually the bigger the capacity, the more power required to read/write, and also the more faster the transfer speeds, the more likely that more electrical noise is being generated.

Basically the electrical noise generated from the microsd can have an adverse effect on the walkman's internal electrical components(clock oscillators, power supply). This may cause additional jitter to the overall sound.

Now whether you can hear this electrical noise pollution will depend on how golden your ears are and the grade of gear you have. Usually there are other sound quality bottlenecks in lesser grade systems thus you won't be able to hear the difference in sound quality between sdcards for most people.

However when you talk about the high grade WM1 walkman and the kind of high grade audio gear owned by the golden ear audiophiles in this forum, I am very sure there are people here who can hear the sound difference between microsd card. That is along with people who can hear the sound differences between a Loss-less highly compressed FLAC vs PCM .WAV files being played on their system.

For those interested in this topic, here's a related video by Mr Hans which explains how electrical noise and clock jitter affects audio:

I sounds so ... sciency. I trust your words on these 😉

Jun 15, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #39,660 of 45,723
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back