SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #39,001 of 45,723
Hi guys, first off, thank you for all he wonderful FW, it's a lot of fun trying different flavours with my WM1Z and VE8. I've been experiencing sibilant vocals over the last month, even with J and 3.01 which I thought would help. I'm currently using CEV and 3.01 which has reduced it slightly. Has anyone got any ideas on any other region/FW combos which would help reduce this please?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #39,002 of 45,723
Hi guys, first off, thank you for all he wonderful FW, it's a lot of fun trying different flavours with my WM1Z and VE8. I've been experiencing sibilant vocals over the last month, even with J and 3.01 which I thought would help. I'm currently using CEV and 3.01 which has reduced it slightly. Has anyone got any ideas on any other region/FW combos which would help reduce this please?
Region J and 3.02 has the smoothest treble to me on the 1Z. That is using a pure silver cable and Solaris SE IEM.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #39,003 of 45,723
Region J and 3.02 has the smoothest treble to me on the 1Z. That is using a pure silver cable and Solaris SE IEM.

Thank you. I've tried that combo with a Leo II and sounded great but still sibilant with a lot of vocals unfortunately. Sounded a little better with a gold plated copper cable. I have a EA Lionheart coming next week, which I hope will help a little.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #39,004 of 45,723
Try region E/E2

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #39,005 of 45,723
Thank you. I've tried that combo with a Leo II and sounded great but still sibilant with a lot of vocals unfortunately. Sounded a little better with a gold plated copper cable. I have a EA Lionheart coming next week, which I hope will help a little.
That combos doesn't remove it, it just tamed the treble. I found that if the recording is sibilant and you are using a high resolution cable and IEM it's going to be more prominent. For those recordings, like CSN Helplessly Hoping 24/96, I find just turning the volume down a bit helps. But with smooth clean recording that combo sounded the best.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #39,006 of 45,723
Try region E/E2

Thank you, I'll give those two a go and see how I get on.

That combos doesn't remove it, it just tamed the treble. I found that if the recording is sibilant and you are using a high resolution cable and IEM it's going to be more prominent. For those recordings, like CSN Helplessly Hoping 24/96, I find just turning the volume down a bit helps. But with smooth clean recording that combo sounded the best.

Yes, I think the lift in resolution in the chain does highten the sibilance if in a recording. I'll keep experimenting :)

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #39,007 of 45,723

Try also U3 and MX3

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #39,009 of 45,723
Anyone read this?
Seems like this guy actually went out and bought another wm1a to compare the FWs.
You can check out his review here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/gxxdwv/ladder_sony_wm1a/
That doesn’t make sense to me as I can have really hot treble on one fw versus another, or a big bass hump etc etc...

obviously that user has two players, so holds more validity than me with just the one... definitely not convinced that my ears are that faulty / prone to placebo though.

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #39,011 of 45,723
That doesn’t make sense to me as I can have really hot treble on one fw versus another, or a big bass hump etc etc...

obviously that user has two players, so holds more validity than me with just the one... definitely not convinced that my ears are that faulty / prone to placebo though.
I also have two WM1A and a WM1Z and can hear a difference in treble and bass when I compared tunings between the two WM1A's.

In that post he doesn't say how many hours he had on either unit, what cable and connection (balanced or SE). So I would discount it to a typical reddit post, half-assed.

Here on a dedicated site, you will get a better impression, as most members that post here understand how burn-in, cables, IEM and connection can effect sound.

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #39,012 of 45,723
My experience is consistent with that reviewer. I compared with my friend's WM1A directly and couldn't tell a difference. I don't want to ruin your guys' fun though.
Me too, i started FW rolling two weeks ago and I thought i could clearly hear the difference BUT when i compared it with my friend's WM1A (3.02 stock) I couldn't tell them apart from a blind test (conducted by my friend). Both units have over 200 hours and tested on balanced

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #39,013 of 45,723
Jun 6, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #39,014 of 45,723
Jun 6, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #39,015 of 45,723
We are all audiophile psychopaths we hear things, we imagine stuff, we are traveling threw time and space. What are we smoking? It gota be some good shiiuut 😁😉🙃🙂

It is not because 1 cannot hear it that others wont !
Also its not because you dont hear it then the information is abscent... its all in your mind! You got the wrong focus and never heard what is missing due to many factors as you are less experienced audiophile...

But trust me its all there! You just dont want to hear it and dont have the hints to what to listen.....
Things can be subtle. Sometimes more obvious to spot ect ect....

You need 1000 and 1000 of hours of trained ear to hear something new and realize new sound captures....

It goes beyond and beyond.
Havent you ever tought about why same file format sounds better and better on newer gear?
Every year there is a new dap but the file format stays the same ???? But it sounds better????
Yes because new dap acquired new abilities to present music in a more harmonic way, more dynamics go on and on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back