SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #37,321 of 45,723
considering I like the 535's

Yep, that's why I was talking about the bass, I know that the 535 don't have this particular technology regarding the bass, and it's not as present.

I'm seeing two types on Amazon though - SE846-CL and SE846-CL-EFS, any idea what the difference may be, if any? I Googled fo it, but didn't find anything as of yet.

Just found this link: https://service.shure.com/s/article/se215ltd-efs?language=en_US

They mention "Model number for the United States: SE215LTD-EFS" and "Model numbers for Asia: SE215SPE-A; SE215SPE-CHN". Maybe it's related only to this?

By the way, in Europe, you can find them at approximately 650 EUR, on this site: https://www.e-infin.com/eu/category/headphones_and_earphones - the only downside is that you'll have only one year warranty.

I bought the 846 from here, and I also bought some cameras and camera gear. They are all new, so no worries about that.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #37,322 of 45,723
Pulled the trigger on a WM1a ... I couldn't justify the 2x cost for gold plating and Kimber wiring. I also purchased a dock from Japan; hopefully, it can still be shipped to the US.

New Walkman arrives on Wed... can't wait!

May 11, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #37,323 of 45,723
Hello, and meet...

WM1Az Bass+ (revision C)

This tuning mod is the normal WM1Az warm sound, with
silky smooth highs, but now also with the DMP-Z1 deep
bass.

You can try it out, here (click).

As always, the tuning mod is based on the 3.02 firmware,
and on the J region. It is also meant to be used on a WM1A.

Also, if you used other tunings before, it's recommended that
you first flash back to stock, and then apply any other tunings.
Stock 3.02 is available here (click).

I hope that nobody minds so many versions. Everyone
has different tastes and it's good to have different options
to choose from. :)

Thanks to @aceedburn for giving it a listen, and for the idea!

Enjoy!
OMG! This is pure filth (translate that as a term of happiness) with my brand new and shiny FiiO FH7!

May 11, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #37,324 of 45,723
Yep, that's why I was talking about the bass, I know that the 535 don't have this particular technology regarding the bass, and it's not as present.

Just found this link: https://service.shure.com/s/article/se215ltd-efs?language=en_US

They mention "Model number for the United States: SE215LTD-EFS" and "Model numbers for Asia: SE215SPE-A; SE215SPE-CHN". Maybe it's related only to this?

By the way, in Europe, you can find them at approximately 650 EUR, on this site: https://www.e-infin.com/eu/category/headphones_and_earphones - the only downside is that you'll have only one year warranty.

I bought the 846 from here, and I also bought some cameras and camera gear. They are all new, so no worries about that.

WM1Az Bass+ - bro! you got me at bass! bass i mighty good funnily last night i was trying to do something about the tips on the ier m9 and tried a pair that i took from my girlfriend wf1000xm3, the ones with the extra long sleeve, i dont know if the extra silicon touching the ear canal has anything to do with, but soundstage went ABYMALLY big, mainly the 3d effect, i can feel the rumble in another way, even though i have plenty of iems, i always usemy imr r1z, its just a personal attachement i got with em, personal history, they are known for their powerful bass, MAN! your new firmware made it even better adn the feeling of rumble in my ears with this tips... dude... , i was using the second revision of vinyl but this goes far deeper, congrats man, im loving it! seriously impressive

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #37,326 of 45,723
So I started using my Shure IEM's with the 1Z and am loving it - they're super precise, but are slightly bright and lack a little bass, but otherwise very nice combination.

So this begs the question, should I consider the IEM-1ZR's? I've read they sound great, but aren't particularly ergonomic and are a bit too heavy??

Being a bit of an old hippy at heart, I was listening to this last night and it was absolutely shimmering. I swear I could sense the shape of the room from the choir...

This has the Deluxe reissue art, but the mix is the original 1978, which I find much better.

I would also give a try to the SE846, especially with a balanced cable, and maybe to the Sony XBA-Z5 (which are cheaper than the SE846, and use a BA for highs, another BA for mids, and a dynamic driver for lows). The Z5 has bigger soundstage than the Shure, plus a lot of punchy bass from the dynamic driver. They certainly feel like listening to normal/big headphones.

The IER-Z1R are a bit on the expensive side, and I didn't hear them yet, so can't really say anything about them.

Edit: About the SE846, they really mean it when they say "true subwoofer". The low bass is really clearly audible, but it's more like the quality of it rather than the quantity, which is a pretty normal thing for balanced armature IEMs. With the Z5 you also really feel the bass, hence the sensation that you listen to headphones.

I agree. Tried the 846, tried campfire, tried z1r, but nothing gave me the satisfaction of the Z5. It just has a nice analogue live sound with the best bass impact I’ve ever heard.

I opted for XBA-N3 with Sony's own 4.4 Kimber Kabel as has superb tonality and deep bass (too much for some). Z5 being more neutral IMO, with the N3 being the more exciting & engaging.

CF Andromeda lives up to the expectation's as long as you know what a multi BA IEM can present. Comfort wise the latest Gen 2 Andromeda has no issue, however they can and do accumulate condensation in some environment's. Campfire's advice is to remove and dry periodically...

Another worthy mention is Dunu 3001 Pro, similar profile to the XBA-N3, punches well above it's weight, with a killer cable solution, that puts many others to shame. Many rate FiiO's FH7, personally 3001 Pro easily surpasses for my tastes. FH7 is a little on the bright side, 3001 Pro is more mid focused and can take serous EQ in the bass.

Q-6

May 11, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #37,327 of 45,723
We all need some "dirty" in our lives from time to time, so I fully get it as a term of happiness :smiling_imp:

Glad you guys like it. Currently using it as well!

Got that covered :sunglasses:
600x600bb.jpg
Doesn't even come close :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp: to the real deal :sunglasses: Danzig - She Rides, a very pale comparison...

Q-6

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #37,328 of 45,723
For anyone interested in the Romi mod, I just got a quote from his and apparently there's 2 options now:

Version 3.5 is replace most of capacitor on main power supply S master supply, amplifier module output wire replace to REAL occ copper or occ silver PRICE HKD$4800
Blackgate Mod Same as Version 3.5 But replace of Blackgate capacitor This is discontinued Capacitor And the sound become more warm PRICE HKD$12000

Looks like prices has gone up. He can't specify what capacitors he uses on the Version 3.5 mod either.

May 12, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #37,329 of 45,723
For anyone interested in the Romi mod, I just got a quote from his and apparently there's 2 options now:

Version 3.5 is replace most of capacitor on main power supply S master supply, amplifier module output wire replace to REAL occ copper or occ silver PRICE HKD$4800
Blackgate Mod Same as Version 3.5 But replace of Blackgate capacitor This is discontinued Capacitor And the sound become more warm PRICE HKD$12000

Looks like prices has gone up. He can't specify what capacitors he uses on the Version 3.5 mod either.
I personally think it’s insane to pay these prices to mod your device. Well, there’s a sucker born every minute so life goes on, right?

May 12, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #37,330 of 45,723

V3.5 is Elna

May 12, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #37,331 of 45,723
I personally think it’s insane to pay these prices to mod your device. Well, there’s a sucker born every minute so life goes on, right?
The price is more or less a premium IEM cable worths. From my experience on my Blackgate modded 1A, I would say it worths every penny, comparing to different premium cables that I own (please see my signature if interested).:floatsmile:

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #37,332 of 45,723
I have a Romi v4 1Z and bought TWO v3.5 1As for my friends now. I am insane!

May 12, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #37,333 of 45,723
In the pursuit for the last few percentage of gain in SQ in upgrades are insanely expensive. I call these people perfectionist (with means). I can't afford it but I don't go around saying they are suckers. Same as cameras, performance cars or luxury watches. It's a niche market. It's priced accordingly.

May 12, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #37,334 of 45,723
Yes, that can be true. It all depends on your viewpoint, and personal preferences. Ridiculous amounts of money are spent on: wife/girlfriend/children, jewelry, wine, cigars, cars, yachts, personal planes, etc., etc. From one viewpoint, any of the items can be viewed as a total waste of money. From another viewpoint, any of the items can be viewed as essential, and money well spent. It all depends on what is important to you, and your situation in life.

So is everybody a sucker, as everybody has their own foibles and weaknesses? Yes, we are all suckers to our personal weaknesses. And yes, that is normal.

And we all view things as ridiculous if we are not interested, or believe in them, or see no value in them. But that does not mean, or prove, that they are ridiculous, except solely to ourselves.

May 12, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #37,335 of 45,723
In the pursuit for the last few percentage of gain in SQ in upgrades are insanely expensive. I call these people perfectionist (with means). I can't afford it but I don't go around saying they are suckers. Same as cameras, performance cars or luxury watches. It's a niche market. It's priced accordingly.
Agree with everything except it's not a few percentage gain with Romi mod. If so few i wouldn't justify to pay them either. I can be biased, but like @lumdicks said, it's worth every penny to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back