SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #37,306 of 45,723
As always many thanks @morgenstern09; i tried your WM1Aᶻ B with my denon 9200
Against the WM1Az1 have slighty more resolution but i feel the timbre less oganic,slighty small soundstage and bass more artificial.
i'm stuck on the WM1Az1, it's a wonderful custom firmware :)

May 10, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #37,307 of 45,723
Against the WM1Az1 have slighty more resolution but i feel the timbre less oganic,slighty small soundstage and bass more artificial.

Glad you like it! Hopefully I can do even better one day :)

May 10, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #37,308 of 45,723
Did you compare to the last version ZTAZ1 ?
Also,
Thats a great combo of Sony with that Denon.
:)

May 10, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #37,309 of 45,723
After trying out all the new firmwares, I have to admit WM1Az-B is my new favorite next to Autumn+ and Solis. It has the most balance, coherent, and natural sound compared to any recent releases, such a pleasant sound

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #37,310 of 45,723
Can anyone here repair the termination end of a 4.4 balanced cable that cuts out?

May 11, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #37,312 of 45,723
Hello, and meet...

WM1A Bass+ (revision C)

This tuning mod is the normal WM1Az warm sound, with
silky smooth highs, but now also with the DMP-Z1 deep
bass.

You can try it out, here (click).

As always, the tuning mod is based on the 3.02 firmware,
and on the J region. It is also meant to be used on a WM1A.

Also, if you used other tunings before, it's recommended that
you first flash back to stock, and then apply any other tunings.
Stock 3.02 is available here (click).

I hope that nobody minds so many versions. Everyone
has different tastes and it's good to have different options
to choose from. :)

Thanks to @aceedburn for giving it a listen, and for the idea!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #37,313 of 45,723
So I started using my Shure IEM's with the 1Z and am loving it - they're super precise, but are slightly bright and lack a little bass, but otherwise very nice combination.

So this begs the question, should I consider the IEM-1ZR's? I've read they sound great, but aren't particularly ergonomic and are a bit too heavy??

Being a bit of an old hippy at heart, I was listening to this last night and it was absolutely shimmering. I swear I could sense the shape of the room from the choir...

This has the Deluxe reissue art, but the mix is the original 1978, which I find much better.

1589189118706.png

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #37,314 of 45,723
So I started using my Shure IEM's with the 1Z and am loving it - they're super precise, but are slightly bright and lack a little bass, but otherwise very nice combination.

So this begs the question, should I consider the IEM-1ZR's? I've read they sound great, but aren't particularly ergonomic and are a bit too heavy??

Being a bit of an old hippy at heart, I was listening to this last night and it was absolutely shivering. I swear I could feel the shape of the room from the choir...

This has the Deluxe reissue art, but the mix is the original 1978, which I find much better.

I would also give a try to the SE846, especially with a balanced cable, and maybe to the Sony XBA-Z5 (which are cheaper than the SE846, and use a BA for highs, another BA for mids, and a dynamic driver for lows). The Z5 has bigger soundstage than the Shure, plus a lot of punchy bass from the dynamic driver. They certainly feel like listening to normal/big headphones.

The IER-Z1R are a bit on the expensive side, and I didn't hear them yet, so can't really say anything about them.

Edit: About the SE846, they really mean it when they say "true subwoofer". The low bass is really clearly audible, but it's more like the quality of it rather than the quantity, which is a pretty normal thing for balanced armature IEMs. With the Z5 you also really feel the bass, hence the sensation that you listen to headphones.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #37,315 of 45,723
I would also give a try to the SE846, especially with a balanced cable, and maybe to the Sony XBA-Z5 (which are cheaper than the SE846, and use a BA for highs, another BA for mids, and a dynamic driver for lows). The Z5 has bigger soundstage than the Shure, plus a lot of punchy bass from the dynamic driver. They certainly feel like listening to normal/big headphones.

The IER-Z1R are a bit on the expensive side, and I didn't hear them yet, so can't really say anything about them.

Edit: About the SE846, they really mean it when they say "true subwoofer". The low bass is really clearly audible, but it's more like the quality of it rather than the quantity, which is a pretty normal thing for balanced armature IEMs. With the Z5 you also really feel the bass, hence the sensation that you listen to headphones.
I agree. Tried the 846, tried campfire, tried z1r, but nothing gave me the satisfaction of the Z5. It just has a nice analogue live sound with the best bass impact I’ve ever heard.

May 11, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #37,316 of 45,723
i have been since 26.04 on WM1Az FW , in fact i had to look my txt file where i keep score to see which FW i am on

great job , i need to try all those new FWs at some point but i am good now.

ps : i counted how many FWs i have from @Morbideath and @Whitigir and @RobertP and @morgenstern09

and i counted 50 , all for use with my WM1A so great job guys you are the stars of the thread

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #37,317 of 45,723
Thanks guys. Ergonomy is very important for me, which is why I get on OK with the Shure's, I think, they sit nicely in the ears - although the cable around the back of the ear is a bit annoying, so I'll certainly look at the 846's.

You mention Campfire Audio - I've seen a few people with these, but they look like the Z1R's, big lumps of metal. I can't imagine they're remotely comfortable? They do come with a balanced cable though, I see (the Solaris ones, that is), and they're not crazy expensive at around €1400.

May 11, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #37,318 of 45,723
Thanks guys. Ergonomy is very important for me, which is why I get on OK with the Shure's, I think, they sit nicely in the ears - although the cable around the back of the ear is a bit annoying, so I'll certainly look at the 846's.

The Shure's true subwoofer statement is especially true, as they have these plates put together in front of the 15 - 200 Hz balanced armature. The plates create a 4 inch long pathway that the lows have to go through before they get out to your ear, effectively reducing distortion/artifacts.

1589200808578.png
1589200830328.png

I didn't use them for a while, as I prefer using normal headphones when at home. Using them now and the lows are indeed delicious, especially with a warm sound signature (currently using the WM1Az Bass+).

You maybe already know this, but on the 846 you can also easily adjust the sound signature by replacing those filters in the nozzles that are detachable. There are three options, warm, balanced, and bright - and modding the filters is also possible, I read a lot on the SE846 thread here on the forum.

May 11, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #37,319 of 45,723
The Shure's true subwoofer statement is especially true, as they have these plates put together in front of the 15 - 200 Hz balanced armature. The plates create a 4 inch long pathway that the lows have to go through before they get out to your ear, effectively reducing distortion/artifacts.

1589200808578.png 1589200830328.png

I didn't use them for a while, as I prefer using normal headphones when at home. Using them now and the lows are indeed delicious, especially with a warm sound signature (currently using the WM1Az Bass+).

You maybe already know this, but on the 846 you can also easily adjust the sound signature by replacing those filters in the nozzles that are detachable. There are three options, warm, balanced, and bright - and modding the filters is also possible, I read a lot on the SE846 thread here on the forum.

I might grab a pair - considering I like the 535's, I'll likely be good with these - plus they're half the price of the Sony's IEM-1ZR's

I'm seeing two types on Amazon though - SE846-CL and SE846-CL-EFS, any idea what the difference may be, if any? I Googled fo it, but didn't find anything as of yet.

May 11, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #37,320 of 45,723

You mention Campfire Audio - I've seen a few people with these, but they look like the Z1R's, big lumps of metal. I can't imagine they're remotely comfortable? They do come with a balanced cable though, I see (the Solaris ones, that is), and they're not crazy expensive at around €1400.

Campfires (all of them) are much lighter then Z1Rs. I own Solaris and Andromedas and they’re very comfortable in my ears. Never had issues either at home or walking outside (not much walking outside these days I’m afraid).

Solaris are my goto with the WM1 series!

173C0FC8-B87B-4ACF-8091-97BADBB29E0C.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back