SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #35,956 of 45,723
I read the article of enjoy the music, a bit laughable.

But my files are always including DSD
* cover art max 950x950 less than 500kB in size only front cover no more
* basic tags Artist, Album, Genre, Year, Composer, Title, Track Number, Disc Number, TrackTotal, DiscTotal.
* For files that I have control (CD rip) always FLAC 5 level.. I trust what labels provide to be good.

Btw this what I meant by constantly flickering access lamp (continuously reading)
Made a GIF from a clip you must click the image to see the animated GIF
20200408_133235_1.gif

I get no light flashing no matter what file I play be it mp3, aac, flac or dsd

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #35,958 of 45,723
My final contribution to the endless debates before i leave this thread:
1.gif

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #35,962 of 45,723
I just spoke with a studio where I bought music from and I asked them about audio quality formats and I got this answer its a quote to quote !!!

Its ultimae record studio from france
https://ultimae.com/

Dear Vitaly,

Glad you got the records you enjoy the most !

Indeed the 24 bit wav files are the originals from the studio, that’s the way they are recorded in each artist’s studio and then mastered by Vincent Villuis / AES Dana at Ultimae.

Theoretically the wav sound is better than a flac file one which has some form of compression but some audiophiles tend to argue about this.

Take care,

Sandrine

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #35,963 of 45,723
I just spoke with a studio where I bought music from and I asked them about audio quality formats and I got this answer its a quote to quote !!!

Its ultimae record studio from france
https://ultimae.com/

Dear Vitaly,

Glad you got the records you enjoy the most !

Indeed the 24 bit wav files are the originals from the studio, that’s the way they are recorded in each artist’s studio and then mastered by Vincent Villuis / AES Dana at Ultimae.

Theoretically the wav sound is better than a flac file one which has some form of compression but some audiophiles tend to argue about this.

Take care,

Sandrine

I can say for sure that Sandrine doesn't know what she's talking about :) She just says "compression", which is not a 100% complete affirmation. The full term is lossless compression. Let's not forget:

Digital audio compressed by FLAC's algorithm can typically be reduced to between 50 and 70 percent of its original size and decompress to an identical copy of the original audio data.

Note the "identical".

It's really sad and frustrating at the same time that people are misinformed and spread false or incomplete info like this.

I will personally message them with the correct info, as I think this is unacceptable from their side, as a record studio.

Edit: Again, I get that for some people WAV sounds different. However, let's not spread misinformation!

Edit 2: With all due respect, Vitaly, based on this trend you're presenting us, which is you thinking FLAC being a lossy compression, then "accepting" that it's not lossless but still sounds different (which I'm totally fine with) and then now presenting us this "info", I'm wondering if you would share her quote if she would say that there are no differences.

Edit 3: I messaged them with all the necessary info, also advising them that they should correct their statement to you.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #35,964 of 45,723
I can say for sure that Sandrine doesn't know what she's talking about :) She just says "compression", which is not a 100% complete affirmation. The full term is lossless compression. Let's not forget:

Note the "identical".

It's really sad and frustrating at the same time that people are misinformed and spread false or incomplete info like this.

I will personally message them with the correct info, as I think this is unacceptable from their side, as a record studio.

Edit: Again, I get that for some people WAV sounds different. However, let's not spread misinformation!

Edit 2: With all due respect, Vitaly, based on this trend you're presenting us, which is you thinking FLAC being a lossy compression, then "accepting" that it's not lossless but still sounds different (which I'm totally fine with) and then now presenting us this "info", I'm wondering if you would share her quote if she would say that there are no differences.

Well just to start, if you decide to contact them please dont say that you heard it from me....

As I only asked them if in studio what was the original recording format...
And slso if wav was any how different from flac...

That was the answer I got!

So yes it the 24bit original wav.
Then she said wav sounded better due to that fact as there is a compression and uncompression process involved.

This was question to that studio

Can I ask you a question about the quality of the file format.
Is the music recorded into a wav file format in studio? What was the original file format? As I see there is formats in 24bit/44.1 I downloaded the wav files instead of flac as I believe wav is better then flacs....
Is that true?

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #35,965 of 45,723
I’m really curious what the reason is for installing the 0.94 firmware which is known to be buggy and very unstable. Audio performance? What kind of SQ jump do you get? And is it worth the trade off for a buggy experience as well as missing out on some o for key features of the player like dac and bt streaming?
some people was very affond of 1.20 i guess I should lack the resolution and ve very warm and bass boosted wich might be of interest for a change...

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #35,966 of 45,723
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0716/Why_Do_WAV_And_FLAC_Files_Sound_Different.htm

Why Lossless FLAC Compression Degrades Uncompressed WAV File Quality
1. Resolution of metadata associated art (MDA).

2. Degree of MDA compression as created in typical photo-editing software.

3. Degree of FLAC compression according to settings in dBPowerAmp.

4. CPU load during decompression and conversion of FLAC files to PCM format.

5. Allocated buffer size in playback software, music server, and/or digital to analog converter.

If you hear it, GREAT!! If you don't hear it, GREAT!!
Rhis is why i dont love flac lol

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #35,967 of 45,723
For me it's about the music and I'll opt for the best quality as is reasonably possible. WM1A is very much a portable player and space counts . If I was totally static with unlimited space & time I'd opt for Wav as much as is reasonably possible for no other reason other than you can transcode to whatever format you want.

If wanting the current ultimate Sony portable solution with few bounds, why not opt for the DMP and a WM1A for the fix while on the foot...

Q-6

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #35,968 of 45,723
Well just to start, if you decide to contact them please dont say that you heard it from me....

It's a bit too late now for that... I just meant to share where I know that she said that from.

Then she said wav sounded better due to that fact as there is a compression and uncompression process involved.

Yeah, she said that because she is not well informed, with all due respect. This can happen, you can't know them all. Once someone tells you that you are not well informed, I think it's important that you get informed or not have opinions on the matter.

Is the music recorded into a wav file format in studio? What was the original file format? As I see there is formats in 24bit/44.1 I downloaded the wav files instead of flac as I believe wav is better then flacs....
Is that true?

Audio is probably recorded in WAV in the studio, and then converted to FLAC in order to take advantage of the smaller file size (I am thinking especially about Tidal, for example, which compared to Spotify, has mostly CD quality music, 16/44 or 16/48, or MQA). Technically, as mentioned before, the compression is lossless, so nothing is lost. If nothing is lost, I don't see how WAV can be better than FLAC. Also, the only advantage of FLAC is the lossless compression, which results in the same audio data but in a smaller file size.

I did this experiment myself, converted a WAV to a FLAC, and then back to WAV, and the resulting WAV file was identical to the original WAV file. I will post a video shortly.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #35,969 of 45,723

Converted wav to flac (uncompressed). Flac is a little bit bigger in size. If uncompressed flac is of the same quality but bigger file size, the only point to do so is to embed artwork.

Now when you compress them to save space, to me, there is be some details missing thru my own experience. Regretted converting the tracks I purchased to flacs to save space and deleting them afterwards in my earlier years.

For me, I want to push the envelope with what I have now so no compressed flacs if I can help. That's just my preference.

If you hear any difference or don't care, carry on. This post is not to say who is right or wrong. Just sharing my experience and wishing feedbacks from fellow headfiers to better my understanding. I thank all that has contributed their knowledge and experience.

In the mean time stay safe and healthy and enjoy our audio journey.

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #35,970 of 45,723
Here's a WAV to FLAC to WAV conversion test, using FLAC 1.3.2.

After the conversion, both the original WAV file and the resulted WAV file were compared at a binary level (using the /B switch) using the "File compare" tool available in Windows (more info here).

As it can be seen, there are no differences between the original and the resulted WAV file.

Also, I used the maximum level of compression, which is 8, with the help of the "--compression-level-8" option.

Hope this clears things up.

Edit: @endlesswaves check this out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back