SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #31,891 of 45,723
I find it shameful what Sony has officially replied about the repair of your screen ... That is, we pay more than 1000 dollars for one of their devices that they say are discontinued and therefore offer no guarantee but they follow the sales in stores as new devices and with theory, 2 years warranty (at least it is so in Europe)

I wanted to buy the NW-WM1A but seen what I saw I will continue with my Shanling M5S that ruptures will not cost me twice my salary

Bye bye Sony

I have no intention to defend the sony but I think you missed the point. If it was something that guarantee is covering he would receive new device. Unfortunately in this case it was damaged by the user so it would not be covered by the guarantee. Altough I must admit it is strange that they are already out of parts in the US? They are all available in europe. As for Shanling I don't think you can buy any spare parts for it if something goes wrong.

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #31,893 of 45,723
it is not Sony, it is the people representing the calls. This is the reason why Sony choose to go with “Dealer networking services”
See? Authorized dealers is capable of being more indept in what you need, aka your music players, dealers may also be capable of hiring good technicians and trained them to provide repairs and servicing

I can repair The players and I know where to get part. It isn’t that hard, but these players are not exactly Smartphones where you can find a small shop here and a small screen replacement services there. Then another problem is that...how many of those shops survived ? Some....just cause smartphones move on too fast to spend money for fixing old phones

So, the differences applied here, music players are personal and a hobby. There are people who dedicated their life into the “hobby” for servicing and working with it. But the market and the demands are so very “little” where as the “salary” is also “very little”. So, how do they manage the system ? Ofcourse by the dealer networks

Dealer are independent contractors, but has the authorized power to access data and info, some part of financing to enable these services and hobby to strive on. Have you seen other “hobby” yet ? RC cars/planes....cameras....camcorders....etc

What I am saying is that you don’t call Sony customer services for these stuff, they know nothing !!!!! You call Sony Authorized Dealers, and they will have you an idea.

In the end, if you love your player that much, you find a way to fix it. If you don’t, then it is just another smartphone cycle. You took up a good excuses to trash it to the recycle bin, and buy another. WM1A/Z is 3 years strong. Now treat it as a new smartphone each year....and you have it

You buy a product manufactured by a company, not by its authorized distributors or not. If the person who produces it sells it at these prices, it must give a response of the repairs according to the price

One thing is to be a fan boy and the other is for them to make fun of you and your money

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #31,894 of 45,723
I've found service manual for WM1A and WM1Z and for the looks of it you only need to buy LCD screen for 140$ "LCD1 X-2594-163-1 SVX LCD ASSY (Including LCD chassis, LCD support (bottom), Adhesive sheet)". The only tricky part is that it must be almost completely disassembled.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #31,895 of 45,723
You buy a product manufactured by a company, not by its authorized distributors or not. If the person who produces it sells it at these prices, it must give a response of the repairs according to the price. To give just one example, Bryston, https://bryston.com/ which is a company much smaller than Sony, gives its products a 20 year factory warranty, according to their prices

One thing is to be a fan boy and the other is for them to make fun of you and your money

That is the key words. You do know how Big Sony is right ? Like try and call Samsung general CR and ask about replacing your washer machine Lid

This is services that you are asking for and not warranty. If it is warranty, the unit would be replaced

All I ask is that you have to be responsible on your parts. Sony Do have the service provided, but you need to get to the “right place”. I just spent my time to “spell out” for you what the right place is

But if people just want to debate instead of reading and trying to solve the problems, then I refuse to discuss further

I've found service manual for WM1A and WM1Z and for the looks of it you only need to buy LCD screen for 140$ "LCD1 X-2594-163-1 SVX LCD ASSY (Including LCD chassis, LCD support (bottom), Adhesive sheet)". The only tricky part is that it must be almost completely disassembled.

tricky part ? No....that is a hell Load of works. Speaking from experiences

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #31,896 of 45,723
You buy a product manufactured by a company, not by its authorized distributors or not. If the person who produces it sells it at these prices, it must give a response of the repairs according to the price. To give just one example, Bryston, https://bryston.com/ which is a company much smaller than Sony, gives its products a 20 year factory warranty, according to their prices

Bryston would be a great example if the were producing portable DAPs and not big power amplifiers :) Go ask Bryston if warranty covers you dropping 10kg amplifier on the floor.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #31,897 of 45,723
You buy a product manufactured by a company, not by its authorized distributors or not. If the person who produces it sells it at these prices, it must give a response of the repairs according to the price

That dependens on where in the world you are. In Denmark (and probably all of EU) you ALLWAYS interact about service with the seller you bought from and they have the full responsibility not the manufacturer. The manufacturer has respnsibility towards their sellers not the end customers.

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #31,898 of 45,723
tricky part ? No....that is a hell Load of works. Speaking from experiences

In this case we have both: parts and full service manual with detailed instructions how to disassemble the whole device. For a skilled person who services mobile phones everyday I don't think it would be much harder than changing a screen in a Samsung or Iphone. If Sony service doesn't want to do this I would print the service manual and go ask in some third party centers who services phones if they are willing to provide such a repair. Even if they charge 250$ for labor it wouldn't more than 400$ for everything. Still much less than buying another WM1Z.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #31,899 of 45,723
I did not intend to create a stupid discussion, my intention was that, given the prices we pay, I think that production companies, in this case Sony, should take more care of their customers

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #31,900 of 45,723
I do not intend to create a sterile discussion, my intention was that taking into account the prices we pay I think that the production companies, in this case Sony, should take more care of their customers

You have wrong impression that when you buy a more expensive electronic device you get a special service. When you buy a 100$ Samsung phone you have exactly the same warranty as in 2000$ model. The only difference is that when you crack the screen on a 100$ phone you just buy a new phone and when you crack the screen on 2000$ phone you pay 400$ for a repair. These are all electronic devices which can break by themselves or by the user. If you're not comfortable with it, just buy cheaper device.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #31,901 of 45,723
Oh damn, just bought Acoustune HS1695Ti damn it is so beautiful with WM1A on 4.4mm.
My heart keep racing with the songs I listen to, breath taking.
And I am using firmware 3.02

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #31,905 of 45,723
I wonder how the Final 8000 do with 1A/Z

I had a brief test of the 8000 with the 1Z couple of weeks back while in SG. I must say I was very impressed with the transparency and clarity and big big sound despite the fact that it had only 1 DD. Slightly less warm than the Z1R but still very good on vocals. Amongst all the TOTL IEMs I tested in my last trip to Sg, I must say the 8000 impressed me most. Had some issues with fit due to the sharp corners on the body. Def need to audition more when I’m back again. I hear good things about Luna too. Exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back