SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #31,021 of 45,723
I feel that summit-fi is not just about how many billions of taps or fancy upsampling code you can squeeze into your high processing power fpga. It is also about careful delicate integration of electrical noise rejection and reduction, prestinely clean muti-point power supplies for each section, thermal control and as well as electrical and radio noise shielding and as well as capacitor design know-how. This is where Sony engineers have the edge over Chord.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #31,022 of 45,723
Wow! That comment could be a game changer for me, as I have been considering the Chord Dave for a two channel system I am building, but know that with a Dave, I still need to find a source, while the Sony DMP Z1 gives me both DAC and source.

@Whitigir , can you say a bit more? We’re you able to compare the DMP Z1 and Dave side by side? Did you hear the Dave driven by the Chord Mscaler (an upsampler with over a million filter taps). If so, how did that combination compare to the DMP Z1? Does the DMP Z1, in one of the Sony modes, also offer up sampling?

For the DMP Z1, is there a way to control song selection remotely, e.g. via an iPad app, so I can keep the DMP Z1 near the stereo system and its control at the place where I listen, in front of the speakers?

Thanks!

I did not have Dave with MScaler. It was from a PC as a source. DSEE-HX is almost an up scaling feature that was detailed as bringing any files into High-resolutions. I never enjoyed it as much before, but now I do with DMP Z1.
Main differences is the soundstage presentation in XYZ expansiveness. Dave is more like Dome shaped presentation where the vertical plane is not as spherical as DMP. The timbres from Dave is dense and also somewhat warmth, but very different than DMP Z1. Dave sounds more like Digital where as DMP sounds more like Analog. The Dave was behind in Fluidity, density resolutions, textures details, and most importantly grainy. The DMP has utmost density resolutions, fluidity, textures details but buttery smooth, very fluid and liquid. The only thing I would pick on the DMP Z1 is the Warmth signature, but even so, every pitch, tempo, Chorus are all precisely and uniquely retrieved and reproduced for each different instruments and plays.

I feel that summit-fi is not just about how many billions of taps or fancy upsampling code you can squeeze into your high processing power fpga. It is also about careful delicate integration of electrical noise rejection and reduction, prestinely clean muti-point power supplies for each section, thermal control and as well as electrical and radio noise shielding and as well as capacitor design know-how. This is where Sony engineers have the edge over Chord.

Yes, and error corrections, Jitter could come from Ceramic Capacitors. They cause Piezoelectric effects which we use on Crystal oscillators as a timing devices. These mechanical vibrations induce both electrical noises and physical noises into the signals, which cause the Signals to be contaminated or... carrying a lot of Error that should not have been. DMP Z1 is using all the Multi Layer Filmed Capacitors at the most important places of Audio signal paths to ensure of negating this effects.

beside that, the algorithms, the DSP techniques behind everything is also very important. The implementation is so vastly different that even within Sony itself, the DMP with DSD remastering to DSD64 is better than TA ZH1ES which does PCM to DSD128. Isn’t that crazy ? The way I see it, this is my observation between DMP which uses a lot of PmL caps as mentioned above and using AK4497EQ as a low bit processors instead of FPGA inside TA ZH1ES. As mentioned FPGA was never meant for dedicated audio processing.

you can read more about DMP Z1 and my impressions here
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/so...r-signature-series.23308/reviews#review-23083

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #31,023 of 45,723
I feel that the game changer that Sony introduced recently is use of AI for DSEE HX. This can even somewhat address the issue of older recordings not sounding good due to lack of dynamics, lack of timbre or grainy sounding or tape hiss or microphone hiss/bad echoing or any of the audio nastiness that cannot be corrected by DAC filtering and conventional upsampling technology. It's really almost like a very experienced sound engineer is remastering your music collection in real time.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #31,024 of 45,723
The high gain option drains A LOT of battery, so i'll stick to mostly flac files. Also i read in the manual that you can save battery by turn in off the "auto off" option. It also seems like the "save battery" option consume battery. I've disable high gain, NFC, bluetooth and that helped, also brightness to 25, but still think there are a few things one can do to improve the battery life.

Jan 1, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #31,025 of 45,723
The high gain option drains A LOT of battery, so i'll stick to mostly flac files. Also i read in the manual that you can save battery by turn in off the "auto off" option. It also seems like the "save battery" option consume battery. I've disable high gain, NFC, bluetooth and that helped, also brightness to 25, but still think there are a few things one can do to improve the battery life.
Can I ask witch charger are you using?I have always use a maximum 1A and with a full charge I am using my wm1a for days with the high gain option on.

Jan 1, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #31,026 of 45,723
Can I ask witch charger are you using?I have always use a maximum 1A and with a full charge I am using my wm1a for days with the high gain option on.

When i receive the wm1a, the first charge i made it with a 5.3v 2.0a charger, out of anxiety to listen it. I listened to DSD 64, 128 and flac 16 and 24 bit. that charge on high gain with "save battery" off lasted me a lot more than with save battery mode on, i know i lose 10% of the battery, but with save battery on, i feel like it drains a bit faster. Also always on direct mode, no EQ. Since that first charge, i only use my laptop to slow charge and not stress the battery.

I will turn off all option and see how it works

Jan 1, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #31,027 of 45,723
When i receive the wm1a, the first charge i made it with a 5.3v 2.0a charger, out of anxiety to listen it. I listened to DSD 64, 128 and flac 16 and 24 bit. that charge on high gain with "save battery" off lasted me a lot more than with save battery mode on, i know i lose 10% of the battery, but with save battery on, i feel like it drains a bit faster. Also always on direct mode, no EQ. Since that first charge, i only use my laptop to slow charge and not stress the battery.

I will turn off all option and see how it works
As far as I know the battery could lose its proprieties if is not charged correctly and with a proper charger

Jan 2, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #31,029 of 45,723
[QUOTE="Whitigir, post: 15392449, member: 378966] Dave sounds more like Digital where as DMP sounds more like Analog. The Dave was behind in Fluidity, density resolutions, textures details, and most importantly grainy. [/QUOTE]

I feel Sony Sound Signature is the complete opposite of Chord

I think what you describe is much alike this reviewer's impressions on the hugo2:

For all its technical greatness, however, the Hugo 2 simply doesn’t sound musical. Vocals are that one degree too cool, the treble is that little touch too sharp and punchy, and the balance is simply off. There’s no humanity to the music that comes from the Hugo 2, and that becomes apparent over a longer listening session with good headphones. I write after weeks of accumulated experience with everything from the cheap in-ear 1More Triple Drivers to the epic Focal Utopia, Final D8000, Klipsch HP-3, and Audeze MX4, among others.

Like a perfectly sharp chef’s knife, the Hugo 2 leaves me awed by its precision but also bruised by its merciless sharpness. On Banks’ “Mother Earth,” for example, every pluck of a guitar string is crystal clear and identifiable, but the singer’s vocals lack their natural huskiness, and high notes seem to jump out from the backing track. I just can’t relax while listening to the uptight and regimented sound of the Hugo 2. Switching to the Woo Audio WA7 tube amplifier feels like a warm hug from an old friend by comparison, and the Schiit Jotunheim and DragonFly Red DAC/amps each produce a more listenable and enjoyable output than the Hugo. Call my tastes plebeian if you must, but I can only relay what I’ve experienced: the Hugo 2’s technical superiority doesn’t translate to better music.

Initially, I was unwilling to accept that it was the Hugo 2’s fault, so I spent many weeks trying to train myself to like it. But over that period of time, I lost much of my enthusiasm for testing headphones, and I was left with the impression that the new Audio-Technica X5000, Audeze LCD-2 Classic, and Final D8000 each had an unpleasant treble edge. It wasn’t them, it was the Hugo 2.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/24/17273218/chord-hugo-2-review-dac-headphone-amplifier

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #31,030 of 45,723
Sound signatures ? of course each devices would have it own signatures.
I don’t know what to really say but we did observe the similar views on Chord stuff, and IMO that DAVE has some harshness and grainy textures.

The DMP-Z1 does not.

I gotta say that I keep on trying Chord equipments, but it could never get to me. I have no problem with revealing gears and bright gears, HD800S Stax SR009 and 009S are all in my arsenal. I love trebles, sparkles, the details and resonances. It just have to be “done right”

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #31,032 of 45,723
In comparison with my dx220, I have to charge it once and it will hold at least three days with 5-6 hours a day of use.
The dx220 is holding around 6-7 hours or even less depend of the amp used.

Yes, the WM1A has an espectacular battery life, and that's one of the main reason i bought it, apart for the known synergy with the Z1R. Compared to my Plenue 1, which lasts less than 8 hours total, or my idsd bl that lasts around 8 hours on normal mode. I use them both trough optical and have to charge them almost everyday, and the idsd bl does not sound the best trough optical IMO. But i think i found the reason for the draining. Last week i connected my phone trough bluetooth and didn't eliminate it from the list, that could be it. Now i'm using direct on, screen brightness to 19, NFC off, bluetooth off with no devices on the list, high gain off, volume 110 to 115 balanced, auto turn off on off and the screen on standard. Let's see

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #31,033 of 45,723
The Sony manual only refers to charging via the laptop.... and I was concerned that using another means of charging might hurt the battery or it’s life span...

I read a few guy on here saying they used 2a plugs and others the smaller 1a plug... basically the 2a being the big plug you get with the iPad and the 1a the plug you get with the iPhone...

I found by searching on the Sony site that they specifically say to not use the 2a plug but if you do use mains only use the 1a....

It also says to use the battery saver option as well..

But it is very important to understand the distinction with the above advice.... and that is that this advice is given on the basis of improving the battery life over a period of years ...

It is not given to help you improve how long your battery lasts between charges....

It’s an important point to remember when discussing the battery life of these DAPs ...

Is someone talking about improving the life span of the battery or about getting more from the battery between charging...

Turning off the battery saver option will improve the life between charges... having it switched on will improve the life of the battery overall...

Charging the battery with a 2a plug won’t hurt the battery per se but that battery won’t last as long as someone using the DAP (playing it for just as many hours between charges) but charging it using a laptop or 1a plug...

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #31,034 of 45,723
Thanks for the clarification. I only used the 2a charger for the first charge, since then, i only use my laptop to charge it. I want it to last me the longest time possible because i really like the sound. Right now i've been listening for 3 straight hours and not a bar drop, 35 hours down of the burn in.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #31,035 of 45,723
So, I’ve rediscovered my WM1A - with AK T8ie mkII, balanced - I never used the AKs with the player first time around - I wish I had! Sound is pretty phenomenal to me.

question for the more die hard DAP people though - how is the 1A holding up when compared to more modern players of a similar price point? Is it time to send it to the retirement home, or is it still fighting alongside the best of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back