SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #27,001 of 45,723
Ok. I was hoping it would shuffle songs between different albums. Thanks for the replies.

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #27,003 of 45,723
You can create a playlist from multiple folders as long as the all the songs you select are either from internal memory or memory card. You cannot create a playlist from both.

Strangely enough, the playlists on internal memory are editable, but the ones in SD Card are not. I have to think that is a simple oversight on Sony's part. Better yet, if Sony could support playlists across the 2 storage locations that would be great.

My current expensive solution is to put most of my library on the 512 GB SD card and just put live and other "never plan to include in a playlist" albums on internal memory. But I can't add any tracks to my SD Card playlists because of edit being disabled.

Jan 31, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #27,004 of 45,723
Got a kinda odd question you guys. It involves the WM1Z
I have a few sets of IEMS. Shure 846, DM6's, Campfire Andromeda. I use the 846's the most, I've been using a ALO Reference 8 4.4 balanced cable with the Shure's and Andromeda's, the DM6 is just a cheaper 4.4 balanced cable.

Being that I haven't used the 3.5mm output yet I decided to last night, to my surprise I noticed a more balanced centered image with more clarity (highs) in the right Shure IEM, I went back and fourth between balanced ALO and stock shure cable for more than 30 min using multiple tracks, I even tried the cheaper 4.4 balanced cable from the DM6's all reviled the same thing, the stock cable (3.5) sounded "normal" and the ALO and other 4.4 balanced cable didn't (right IEM)

I decided to test the DM6's and the Campfire using the same cables, to my surprise there was no sonic differences....Huh....weird. So it would seem there is an issue is the 846's? I know the drivers in both IEM's are all functioning being they sound totally identical via 3.5mm. Could it be the balanced cable and WM1Z output is reveling a flaw in that driver somehow?

I'm going to try and get another set of 846's to test if it indeed my set or possible a 846 problem. I've been on a few Shure forums but haven't come across anyone else with the same issue as mine.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #27,005 of 45,723
I have never witnessed the Spectrum analyzer going this far in HIGH area, until this DSD album played
screenshot_20190114_165007325.png

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #27,006 of 45,723
I have a few sets of IEMS. Shure 846, DM6's, Campfire Andromeda. I use the 846's the most, I've been using a ALO Reference 8 4.4 balanced cable with the Shure's and Andromeda's, the DM6 is just a cheaper 4.4 balanced cable

I'm going to try and get another set of 846's to test if it indeed my set or possible a 846 problem. I've been on a few Shure forums but haven't come across anyone else with the same issue as mine.
I’d love to help you out, but don’t have the cable. Had a quick look on the sale forums and someone is selling one, but unfortunately they are in Portugal not the UK, so I wouldn’t be able to answer quickly if I went for the cable.

I’d love to know if the 846s sound different through the balanced output of the Sony.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #27,007 of 45,723
I saw there is a new Music center for PC update, has anyone tried it? is fast?

I like Music bee, is good and customizable but hate it, that i can't join three separate filtering conditions together to form a view for hi-res audio I want to do something like this (sample rate is 44100 and bit depth is 24) or (sample rate is 48000 and bit depth is 24) or (sample rate is greater than 48000)

Feb 1, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #27,008 of 45,723
I have a few sets of IEMS. Shure 846, DM6's, Campfire Andromeda. I use the 846's the most, I've been using a ALO Reference 8 4.4 balanced cable with the Shure's and Andromeda's, the DM6 is just a cheaper 4.4 balanced cable.

Being that I haven't used the 3.5mm output yet I decided to last night, to my surprise I noticed a more balanced centered image with more clarity (highs) in the right Shure IEM, I went back and fourth between balanced ALO and stock shure cable for more than 30 min using multiple tracks, I even tried the cheaper 4.4 balanced cable from the DM6's all reviled the same thing, the stock cable (3.5) sounded "normal" and the ALO and other 4.4 balanced cable didn't (right IEM)

I decided to test the DM6's and the Campfire using the same cables, to my surprise there was no sonic differences....Huh....weird. So it would seem there is an issue is the 846's? I know the drivers in both IEM's are all functioning being they sound totally identical via 3.5mm. Could it be the balanced cable and WM1Z output is reveling a flaw in that driver somehow?

Just speculation...One of the drivers (on the right?) is not the same as the left. Not outright defective, but maybe a lower output. On SE, the Ground is common to both channels, so that balances the sound more. On 4.4 balanced, there are separate differential amplifiers for each channel, so any difference will show up more. Like I said, just speculation.

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #27,009 of 45,723

I’m curious if you have tried to simply switch right and left with the MMCX cable to see if the issue switched sides. If it did it would not be the IEM drivers but something upstream.

Also take note of how many hours are on your device. If you primarily listen to single ended and have 200 hours of burn in but then switch to 4.4mm balanced you still need 200 hours of burn in on those 2 channels. In the early hours of burn in the sound was actually uneven in that it had volume sputtering slighly before reaching 100 hours. After 200 hours the capacitors are stable. The 1Z needs 400 hours total; 200 balanced and 200 hours single ended.

Do you have mono test tracks? Never leave out speculation about personal hearing. At times this equipment is so good it will actually show you flaws in your hearing. But because we think our hearing is perfect we always blame the equipment. That’s also why you want to switch the MMCX cable. Use a mono test track. Different IEMs isolate different frequencies in your hearing. I’m not sure though if that discrepancy would traverse between 4.4mm and 3.5mm?

It’s safe to say that after a certain age most have compromises in hearing. It’s normally in the high frequencies too. Also keep in mind these tests should be preformed with normal cables. Once in a while adapters can create parallel sonic artifacts like what your describing.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #27,010 of 45,723
I checked that in Germany, WM-NW1Z Euro 2695 in Saturn, Amazon and mediamarkt. I am now in Germany on business trip. Is that a bargain? I heard europe model is slightly muted for safety and i am running planar. not good.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #27,011 of 45,723

@Redcarmoose gave some excellent suggestions for problem solving.

Somewhere in the last month or so, I read of a similar problem. Deoxit Gold on contacts fixed it. Might be worth a try if Redcarmoose’s suggestions don’t identify the source of the problem.

Feb 1, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #27,012 of 45,723
I checked that in Germany, WM-NW1Z Euro 2695 in Saturn, Amazon and mediamarkt. I am now in Germany on business trip. Is that a bargain? I heard europe model is slightly muted for safety and i am running planar. not good.

not a great price , wait for a used one here

or go for 1A , you can buy a used here for less than 750 euros , with the usb/dac option this is a perfect device for my needs now

Feb 1, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #27,013 of 45,723

EU units are volume capped to comply with EU regulation but that cap can easily be removed

Feb 1, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #27,014 of 45,723
Any user of pre-DAC upsampling here, like using HQPlayer? I still don't have balanced cable for my HP, so I could not try the balanced output but:

- I tried upsampling to 768 kHz but apparently 1Z does not support 768kHz over USB (DAC mode) and shows 384kHz. Is that the native rate of the DAC (meaning upsampling everything to 384 kHz before analog conversion)?
- Did you hear any difference by sending upsampled data?
- If yes, was it on the balanced output only or both outputs?
- Any good offline upsampling software you could recommend?

Thanks.

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #27,015 of 45,723
Any user of pre-DAC upsampling here, like using HQPlayer? I still don't have balanced cable for my HP, so I could not try the balanced output but:

- I tried upsampling to 768 kHz but apparently 1Z does not support 768kHz over USB (DAC mode) and shows 384kHz. Is that the native rate of the DAC (meaning upsampling everything to 384 kHz before analog conversion)?
- Did you hear any difference by sending upsampled data?
- If yes, was it on the balanced output only or both outputs?
- Any good offline upsampling software you could recommend?

Thanks.

Offline Upsampling software are all pretty ....useless as far as I know.

If you want to do DSP else where and let your WM1Z/A to handle the conversion, do the DSD256 instead.

If you want an offline conversion, and for DSD purposes, I would recommend Xivero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back