SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #26,326 of 45,723
Leaving the partner thing asie (as we don't actually know what that means) and taking a step back, it does not make sense that full unfolding only happens via locally stored files. Very few vendors make MQA available - I have found only 6 albums worthy of purchase. And truth be told, outside of Japan, there can't be more than a few hundred albums available in MQA. So my thinking is, MQA must surely be accessible via USB - otherwise, what would be the point - unless there was about to be an explosion of MQA availability as an alternative to normal wav/flac/DSD...

There are several thousand MQA albums on TIDAL. For me (and I suppose the majority of users), that’s the only MQA source that matters. Since the 1A/1Z don’t have Internet streaming capability (nor a dedicated Tidal app for that matter), USB DAC mode is the only way to listen to Tidal MQA files, either via UAPP on an Android phone, or perhaps through Roon or other software. I believe we have just proved that it works.

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #26,327 of 45,723
Thank you!

So yes, now we have confirmed the 1A/1Z can fully decode MQA when in USB DAC mode. This is the proof. Unless Sony is lying about the resolution, which I highly doubt.

P.S. The player doesn't flag MQA when in USB DAC mode?

I tried few other scenarios through UAPP.

I paid to UAPP for MQA but, I could not manage to see sample values over 96 Khz on WM1A USB DAC mode, while playing Tidal MQA via UAPP.

And also I tried to send a 352 KHz MQA file (found on my phone storage) to WM1A USB DAC via UAPP but, WM1A played it at 88.2 Khz (UAPP app shows that file is 352 Khz but DAC is 88.2 Khz)

Any ideas?

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #26,329 of 45,723
By the way, when I send a 192 Khz MQA file (again found on my phone storage) to WM1A through UAPP, this time WM1A played it at 192 Khz.

...dammit, this is a bugger's muddle! SONY - speak to us!!!!

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #26,330 of 45,723
I tried few other scenarios through UAPP.

I paid to UAPP for MQA but, I could not manage to see sample values over 96 Khz on WM1A USB DAC mode, while playing Tidal MQA via UAPP.

Any ideas?

Yes I think this bit "makes sense". Something about stream locking jumps to mind. I need to go back through my MQA bookmarks to find the relevant info though.

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #26,332 of 45,723
Ah my fault sorry. That 192 Khz file is just a flac sorry. It was in same folder I did not notice that :)

So the result is that UAPP app is just sending as 88.2 Khz or 96 Khz to WM1A.

OK, I think what is happening is that Tidal is using doing the MQA Core unfold which is presumably all that it can manage, and is passing a 88.2/96Khz signal to the 1A. I still do not believe the 1A/1Z has a decoder on board, but it may have a renderer. See this explanation, and read Q4 for a possible answer as to why the signal remains at 88.2/96Khz.....

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #26,333 of 45,723
OK, I think what is happening is that Tidal is using doing the MQA Core unfold which is presumably all that it can manage, and is passing a 88.2/96Khz signal to the 1A. I still do not believe the 1A/1Z has a decoder on board, but it may have a renderer. See this explanation, and read Q4 for a possible answer as to why the signal remains at 88.2/96Khz.....

Thank you, according to Q4's answer if WM1A has even a renderer it should unfold the file to it's original sample rate. But why is that not happening in my case?

According to answer the renderer should take the core and unfold it to original by rendering. Did I understand correctly?

Edit: Deleted the paragraph left from a draft.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #26,334 of 45,723
Thank you, according to Q4's answer if WM1A has even a renderer it should unfold the file to it's original sample rate. But why is that not happening in my case?

According to answer the renderer should take the core and unfold it to original by rendering. Did I understand correctly?

Edit: Deleted the paragraph left from a draft.

I agree its a bit confusing.

Q3 of that same pages states that an "MQA Core output from a decoder carries information enabling a downstream MQA Renderer to complete the Origami unfold and to provide a full output." The tidal app is not a decoder (in MQA parlance). It is unfolding to 88.2/96 and that is it, and is presumably therefore not including the necessary intelligence in the stream for the 1A to further unfold the signal via what I assume is its renderer. I bet if you took a core stream from a "proper" MQA decoder, it would be possible for the 1A to further unfold to a higher sample rate.

This is now actually starting to make far more sense to me, believe it or not!

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #26,335 of 45,723

I use Tag Editor (Mac) https://amvidia.com/tag-editor

I started with the demo and decided it was worth the purchase. It has a very simple and straight forward interface, the best part, especially for Sony users...It will take existing album artwork and convert it by simply highlighting all album artwork and clicking "Save" Also has tons of columns to choose from. Took only a few minutes.

Is this mac only? I use pc.

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #26,336 of 45,723
I agree its a bit confusing.

Q3 of that same pages states that an "MQA Core output from a decoder carries information enabling a downstream MQA Renderer to complete the Origami unfold and to provide a full output." The tidal app is not a decoder (in MQA parlance). It is unfolding to 88.2/96 and that is it, and is presumably therefore not including the necessary intelligence in the stream for the 1A to further unfold the signal via what I assume is its renderer. I bet if you took a core stream from a "proper" MQA decoder, it would be possible for the 1A to further unfold to a higher sample rate.

This is now actually starting to make far more sense to me, believe it or not!

Yes that makes sense, thanks.

Dec 30, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #26,337 of 45,723
Yes that makes sense, thanks.

Thanks for your challenging posts. From our head scratching session, I think we have figured out what level of MQA support the 1A/1Z have via its renderer: Full unfold via locally stored files and proper MQA Decoder streams, 88.2/96 Khz through USB via apps such as TIDAL. Useful to the community.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #26,338 of 45,723
Has anybody paired the new Meze Audio Empyrean headphones with the Sony DAPs? What is the absolute best headphone pairing? Just looking for opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back