SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #20,806 of 45,723
Hi Everyone,
This is my very first post so please be gentle! I am just starting to get into buying an excellent DAP and earphones/headphones.
I just purchased the Sony WM1Z. My ear phones are the Noble Audio Encore (my favorite), the Campfire Audio Andromeda and Vega and the Shure SE846.
I want to get the best possible sound from these earphones so I want to use the 4.4mm output.
What completely confuses me are the adapter cables needed to use the 4.4mm output. I think I have read that even if you use an adapter you won't get the full functionality of the 4.4mm output because of the number of wires that must be synced properly.
I can get the Sony Kimber Kable ($250.00-$300.00) but that cable will not work with my Noble Audio Encore which uses a two pin configuration.
What I am asking is there an adapter (is it 3.5mm to 4.4mm?) where I can use the balanced 4.4mm output with full "balanced" functionality?
Any help, explanation or actual link to what I need would be most appreciated. Thank you! Bruce

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #20,807 of 45,723
Hi Everyone,
This is my very first post so please be gentle! I am just starting to get into buying an excellent DAP and earphones/headphones.
I just purchased the Sony WM1Z. My ear phones are the Noble Audio Encore (my favorite), the Campfire Audio Andromeda and Vega and the Shure SE846.
I want to get the best possible sound from these earphones so I want to use the 4.4mm output.
What completely confuses me are the adapter cables needed to use the 4.4mm output. I think I have read that even if you use an adapter you won't get the full functionality of the 4.4mm output because of the number of wires that must be synced properly.
I can get the Sony Kimber Kable ($250.00-$300.00) but that cable will not work with my Noble Audio Encore which uses a two pin configuration.
What I am asking is there an adapter (is it 3.5mm to 4.4mm?) where I can use the balanced 4.4mm output with full "balanced" functionality?
Any help, explanation or actual link to what I need would be most appreciated. Thank you! Bruce

No is the short answer. You can’t use a headphone that is terminated single ended via any form of converter from the 4.4 mm output. You will either need to reterminate your existing cable (provided it has 4 wires all the way to the plug) or get a new cable.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #20,808 of 45,723
No is the short answer. You can’t use a headphone that is terminated single ended via any form of converter from the 4.4 mm output. You will either need to reterminate your existing cable (provided it has 4 wires all the way to the plug) or get a new cable.

Thank you for your answer.

As I mentioned I guess I can get the Sony Kimber Kable for my other earphones then. Is there a 4.4mm balanced cable that has the two pin configuration that I can use with my Noble Audio Encore which are my most used and favorite earphones?

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #20,809 of 45,723
Hi Everyone,

There are better cables to use with the Encore, Effect Audio, PW Sound, Plussound they all make great cables that start from $150.
Right now I'm enjoying my Encore with the EE Eros II.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #20,810 of 45,723
Jun 2, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #20,811 of 45,723
Thank you for your answer.

As I mentioned I guess I can get the Sony Kimber Kable for my other earphones then. Is there a 4.4mm balanced cable that has the two pin configuration that I can use with my Noble Audio Encore which are my most used and favorite earphones?
+1 on that! Ares II is a nice bang for your buck copper cable which should match up nicely with the 1Z/encore setup! Nice looking and supple as well! IMO.

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #20,812 of 45,723
+1 on that! Ares II is a nice bang for your buck copper cable which should match up nicely with the 1Z/encore setup! Nice looking and supple as well! IMO.

The ares is a fantastic cable for the money, but you have Totl iems and dap, so I think you’d be missing out on the full potential of your set up. You can have course spend thousands on cables, but one of the best cables out there bang for buck has to be the EA Leonidas, which admitedly is a bit of a jump in price but not a ridiculous one. I’ve listened to a variety of sources with the encores and this cable and it is stunning in all departments and a massive leap up in quality that you will notice on first listen and that just keeps on giving after that.

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #20,813 of 45,723
The ares is a fantastic cable for the money, but you have Totl iems and dap, so I think you’d be missing out on the full potential of your set up. You can have course spend thousands on cables, but one of the best cables out there bang for buck has to be the EA Leonidas, which admitedly is a bit of a jump in price but not a ridiculous one. I’ve listened to a variety of sources with the encores and this cable and it is stunning in all departments and a massive leap up in quality that you will notice on first listen and that just keeps on giving after that.
Funny you mention that, as I am using a Leonidas also. My suggestion was just to keep things closer to the Sony Kimber cable pricing. Never heard the Eros II, so I couldn't comment on that.

Jun 2, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #20,814 of 45,723
Funny you mention that, as I am using a Leonidas also. My suggestion was just to keep things closer to the Sony Kimber cable pricing. Never heard the Eros II, so I couldn't comment on that.
Leonidas is my favorite cable, but I feel the Encore has already a good resolution and I'm afraid it would become too bright.
I prefer to use the Leonidas with warmer iems (SE5U, Phantom, Fibae3), I feel they gain transparency and resolution.

Jun 2, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #20,815 of 45,723
Leonidas is my favorite cable, but I feel the Encore has already a good resolution and I'm afraid it would become too bright.
I prefer to use the Leonidas with warmer iems (SE5U, Phantom, Fibae3), I feel they gain transparency and resolution.

I want to thank everyone for all your responses! They are all very helpful as I am on a big learning curve!..........but a fun one!

Jun 2, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #20,816 of 45,723

I hear ou and there’s definitely nothing wrong with the ares it will sound awesome in that set up, but there are those keystone products in hifi where there’s a tangible leap over what’s beneath and around them price wise and the Leo is IMO defiinitely one of those and worth the stretch if you can. After that you dont really make another big leap in quality until you double the price again.

One cable that doesn’t get the rep it diserves, which is closer to the ares but to my ears is a considerable step up is the Atlas Zeno iem cable. I’m listening to my wm1a via hugo2 at the moment and it’s beautfifully transparent, organised and musical. It’s one of the most uncoloured iem cable’s I’ve heard and really lets you hear the source as it is. Very different from Leo which turns everything up to 11.. in a thoroughly addictive manor though.

Jun 2, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #20,817 of 45,723
Nothing will be too bright if you match it with WM1A or WM1Z.

I tested some phones that is bright on other players but once i plug into WM1A/Z it somehow tames it.

Jun 3, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #20,818 of 45,723
Can anyone tell me why my WM1A no longer just shows the most recent music file transfers under Recent Transfers view, but all the music files on the device/card (therefore useless to me)? It used to work great.

Jun 3, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #20,819 of 45,723
Can anyone tell me why my WM1A no longer just shows the most recent music file transfers under Recent Transfers view, but all the music files on the device/card (therefore useless to me)? It used to work great.

For me it shows what was transferred last time I transferred new files

Jun 3, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #20,820 of 45,723
Been a lurker here for years and finally posting.

Picked up a preloved WM1A locally and am loving it. However have a small point of confusion.

I have my own library of tracks and everything has been tagged for a while. And I've got several albums names "GREATEST HITS" because they're the greatest hist of the respective artists.

Noticed on the WM1A that when I search for albums... You guessed it... Every, single album called "GREATEST HITS" gets lumped into one record.

I found it odd that the software didn't differentiate between artists.

Apart from using Yate on my Mac and changing all the affected albums' metatag, is there anything I could do or am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back