SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #19,141 of 45,723
Ok so here is my wishlist for the next flagship walkman.

Hardware:
Super high dpi oled screen; no bezel
10-15% bigger in all 3 dimensions.
256/512/1tb of nvme.
Two micro sdxc uhs-II ready
Hardware radio switch, activity lights
Source amp
Am/fm radio/international radio.
USB-C

Software:
New Linux os, with ability to connect to USB-c monitor and run a full sized computer workstation with Linux packages inside virtual machines (core machine locked down to prevent accidental malware)

When running without external screen, core os is just walkman software, phone virtual machine, android package virtual machine, and file manager.

each a separate VM: phone and sms, Android package launcher, thunderbird, Firefox, libre office.

When plugged into a monitor allows a full privileged VM to install any os, windows/Linux and boot the vm to the monitor out.

This is the device that wins the future

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #19,142 of 45,723
Well if the new Walkman is made of a solid piece of Silver, comes with 1Tb SSD and 1watt of output power, I will be interested.
Funny.......I view the 1Z as close to perfect. I don’t need anything more?

So if this Anniversary Edition is expensive, it’s not something I would even want? What does anyone need with more than a 500GB card and 250GB of internal storage. Also the walkmans are loud enough now.

Call me a Luddite, but I don’t think stuff can be improved on. The only improvement could be a miniature size?

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #19,144 of 45,723
Call me a Luddite, but I don’t think stuff can be improved on. The only improvement could be a miniature size?

I used physical coins in america a few weeks back, they still make those; felt like a luddite. Even plastic cards (visa/MasterCard) are quickly becoming archaic.

Probably going to see a ton of innovation, flexible screens that won’t crack, more environmentally friendly, ultra low energy processors, software has so far to go.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #19,145 of 45,723
Sound quality wise I think the 1Z is pretty much near perfect, so rather I hope Sony can do a bit more on the software/usage side of things. Copying other DAP devices so that the player can read folder.jpg for cover art display (good for formats which doesn't support cover art like wav and dff) and progressive jpg would be a good small features to help people migrate from other DAPs. I would also like bi-directional Bluetooth so the DAP can be remotely controlled by a smartphone app as well as able to channel the voice call from a phone would be brilliant....

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #19,146 of 45,723
Sound quality wise I think the 1Z is pretty much near perfect, so rather I hope Sony can do a bit more on the software/usage side of things. Copying other DAP devices so that the player can read folder.jpg for cover art display (good for formats which doesn't support cover art like wav and dff) and progressive jpg would be a good small features to help people migrate from other DAPs. I would also like bi-directional Bluetooth so the DAP can be remotely controlled by a smartphone app as well as able to channel the voice call from a phone would be brilliant....
Fully agree, especially the part about being able to control the device via a smartphone.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #19,147 of 45,723
I used physical coins in america a few weeks back, they still make those; felt like a luddite. Even plastic cards (visa/MasterCard) are quickly becoming archaic.

Probably going to see a ton of innovation, flexible screens that won’t crack, more environmentally friendly, ultra low energy processors, software has so far to go.

You mean Media Go?

Yes, there is some organizational stuff with files (on the device), but besides the glichyness of Media Go, you only use it to rip CDs, then put everything on a card. I haven't used Media Go in months. I'm thinking Sony is only going to make the Big 40th Edition pretty.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #19,148 of 45,723
As a whole we are tech people, we have lots of tech stuff and like innovative things. But that was the revelation with the ZX300-1Z/1A........they were two steps back and five steps forward. They don't want to add a bunch of android features. IMO

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #19,149 of 45,723
@Whitigir
I think I remember you use your Blue Hawaï straight from the 1Z.
Is it really good or just ok? And which cable are you using?
Due to changes in my speaker system, my DAC outpoput is already used so need something else to feed my DIY KGST.

Cheers

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #19,150 of 45,723
@Whitigir
I think I remember you use your Blue Hawaï straight from the 1Z.
Is it really good or just ok? And which cable are you using?
Due to changes in my speaker system, my DAC outpoput is already used so need something else to feed my DIY KGST.

Cheers

It is surprisingly good for a portable analog source, but it can not get to the level of dedicated desktop DAC that I have, the lks ma-004. I used the cables that I made

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #19,152 of 45,723
Funny.......I view the 1Z as close to perfect. I don’t need anything more?

So if this Anniversary Edition is expensive, it’s not something I would even want? What does anyone need with more than a 500GB card and 250GB of internal storage. Also the walkmans are loud enough now.

The 1Z is what I want.

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #19,153 of 45,723
Radio is meh, I don't care about am/fm radio, inferior SQ..

256GB onboard memory and two micro SD slots.
No android, I consider the sony os to be perfect
Agree on folder.jpg read and progressive jpg support.
USB DAC
DSD remastering engine
The gold color of 1z, hope there is better choices like f. E white gold, rose gold, greenish gold
Bigger screen hopefully OLED
keep the stellar battery life
500mw output power

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #19,154 of 45,723
What does anyone need with more than a 500GB card and 250GB of internal storage.

Several members on here have already filled up the storage of a 512gb SDXC and the internal storage. Just take a look how many megabytes dsd uses. Hint: you can measure single albums in the gigabytes.

You mean Media Go?

Media Go is discontinued so I wouldn’t be talking about improving it. I was talking about the Linux OS the wm1a/z runs. Its nice but it feels very first generation. I want to see it improved into a platform.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #19,155 of 45,723
Several members on here have already filled up the storage of a 512gb SDXC and the internal storage. Just take a look how many megabytes dsd uses. Hint: you can measure single albums in the gigabytes.

Media Go is discontinued so I wouldn’t be talking about improving it. I was talking about the Linux OS the wm1a/z runs. Its nice but it feels very first generation. I want to see it improved into a platform.

I guess 500 gigs fills up fast? For me I only have a couple DSD files. It’s not like I don’t hear a slight increase in SQ, but I’m fine with the HD, 16bit-44.1s I listen to. But still how hard is it to change out a card?

As far as the software in use now, I really like how it works. It’s not perfect but it’s a far cry from the Chi-Fi traumas and Apple IOS I’m used to.

The 1Z is what I want.
Well it’s maybe just a matter of time? Yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back