SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #19,156 of 45,723

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #19,157 of 45,723
I guess 500 gigs fills up fast? For me I only have a couple DSD files. It’s not like I don’t hear a slight increase in SQ, but I’m fine with the HD, 16bit-44.1s I listen to. But still how hard is it to change out a card?

As far as the software in use now, I really like how it works. It’s not perfect but it’s a far cry from the Chi-Fi traumas and Apple IOS I’m used to.

Well it’s maybe just a matter of time? Yes!

Hellyeah!!!

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #19,158 of 45,723

Attachments

• 9EA9E4F4-180B-4870-886D-F1E22B79D928.png
    9EA9E4F4-180B-4870-886D-F1E22B79D928.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #19,159 of 45,723
What's the likelihood that this new 40th Anniversary Walkman (presumably will be announced at IFA in Sept 18) will have WI-FI? I suppose if no android then unlikely. Even though I have loads of lossless music that I have on my NW-ZX1, I still use streaming to listen to new albums I perhaps intend to buy and like the superior quality of the unit over doing the same with my phone. This is what is stopping me from purchasing a NW-WM1A.

As an aside what the XBA-H3's like with the NW-WM1A, without balanced connection and with?

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #19,160 of 45,723
I do not think People in Japan care about WiFi. The modern folks do care about USB DAC function, but only the minority of them. I think if the next Walkman to come out, we will more than likely to see the next version of S-Master (chip) that is unlike any current production one, and will not be shared. For example, 1A and 1Z is sharing the same S-Master. Then we will have more powerful circuitry and beefed up power delivery. Some more to appeal to people such as designs specific, exotic materials, and even Limited runs

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #19,161 of 45,723
What's the likelihood that this new 40th Anniversary Walkman (presumably will be announced at IFA in Sept 18) will have WI-FI? I suppose if no android then unlikely. Even though I have loads of lossless music that I have on my NW-ZX1, I still use streaming to listen to new albums I perhaps intend to buy and like the superior quality of the unit over doing the same with my phone. This is what is stopping me from purchasing a NW-WM1A.

As an aside what the XBA-H3's like with the NW-WM1A, without balanced connection and with?

I should be at the Sony Flagship store in Tokyo in about 20 days.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075...=RHHJN435FYT6NT6D80PF&dpPl=1&dpID=51-yaXDqK2L

Probably getting the XBA-N3 instead of the H3 as it comes with the 4.4mm cable option. H3 as some think is superior to the XBA-Z5.....but I’m probably not going to get one? The Z5 is way better balanced so maybe the H3 would be too?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #19,162 of 45,723
I do not think People in Japan care about WiFi. The modern folks do care about USB DAC function, but only the minority of them. I think if the next Walkman to come out, we will more than likely to see the next version of S-Master (chip) that is unlike any current production one, and will not be shared. For example, 1A and 1Z is sharing the same S-Master. Then we will have more powerful circuitry and beefed up power delivery. Some more to appeal to people such as designs specific, exotic materials, and even Limited runs

So if that is true then the next one could be even more expensive than current models. Regarding WI-FI, I suppose a USB DAC would be v.useful as one could stream using a phone and use the Walkman as a USB DAC. I wouldn't be bothered about more power etc as my headphones are not hard to drive. I'm more interested in the aesthetics of the new models, hopefully there will be a silver version. I like the dual tone of the ZX1 and the WMZ.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075...=RHHJN435FYT6NT6D80PF&dpPl=1&dpID=51-yaXDqK2L

Probably getting the XBA-N3 instead of the H3 as it comes with the 4.4mm cable option. H3 as some think is superior to the XBA-Z5.....but I’m probably not going to get one? The Z5 is way better balanced so maybe the H3 would be too?

Interesting the XBA-N3 seems similar to the old XBA-H2's i.e. one BA. H3 superior to Z5? wow, I thought it was be the other way round. Are you sure you don't mean the A3? :) ... to be honest I am very very happy with my XBA-H3's beats the socks off some of my overhead cans. If and when I get a player with a balanced output I'll get a balanced cable for the H3's, probably the Meijunter or MiCity cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079NR1...colid=28Y1LUQXGTQI&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it rather than the hugely expensive Sony MUC-M12SB1.

Anyway... slightly off topic.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #19,163 of 45,723
So if that is true then the next one could be even more expensive than current models. Regarding WI-FI, I suppose a USB DAC would be v.useful as one could using a phone and use the Walkman as a USB DAC. I wouldn't be bothered about more power etc as my headphones are not hard to drive. I'm more interested in the aesthetics of the new models, hopefully there will be a silver version. I like the dual tone of the ZX1 and the WMZ.

Interesting the XBA-N3 seems similar to the old XBA-H2's i.e. one BA. H3 superior to Z5? wow, I thought it was be the other way round. Are you sure you don't mean the A3? :) ... to be honest I am very very happy with my XBA-H3's beats the socks off some of my overhead cans. If and when I get a player with a balanced output I'll get a balanced cable for the H3's, probably the Meijunter cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078MJ2...colid=28Y1LUQXGTQI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it, rather than the hugely expensive Sony MUC-M12SB1.

Anyway... slightly off topic.

Like most things here it's I guess opinion. I'm at a point where I have not heard the H3. But.....one particular member does not seem to hear a difference, kept his H3 sold his Z5?

My main thing is getting away from the form factor of both the H3 and Z5. I know placing the driver closer to the ear is enabling Sony to get the sound where the N3 bass driver is in the back yard. lol

Sorry if off topic here?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #19,164 of 45,723
Like most things here it's I guess opinion. I'm at a point where I have not heard the H3. But.....one particular member does not seem to hear a difference. My main thing is getting away from the form factor of both the H3 and Z5. I know placing the driver closer to the ear is enabling Sony to get the sound where the N3 bass driver is in the back yard. lol

Sorry if off topic here?

Yes the form-factor of the H3/Z5 is rather cumbersome, but liveable. Sorry I wasn't saying it was off topic, but there should have been a question mark in my post. Some forum moderators get a little sensitive.

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #19,165 of 45,723

Using the two stock SE cable , its meh but using a cheap balance cable I purchased from Amazon. The sq is very nice, like I am listening with the speaker system and I can able to listen with it for 8 hours straight without fatigue using spinfit. I like it more than my it03.

Mar 21, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #19,166 of 45,723
The Sony NW-WM1A is also great for Audiobooks. Graphic Audio is cool because it has voice actors, digital sound effects, theme songs, and music of cinematic quality...

0314181548_Film3.jpg

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #19,169 of 45,723

Make sure you check out e earphones in Akihabara. You can audition all the Effect Audio cables and other brands, I've found the Encores and Lionheart are a match made in heaven.

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #19,170 of 45,723
Akihabara it is! Thank-you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back