SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #17,326 of 45,723
is the Zeus XR cable the pw1960s 2-wire ? curious how much of an upgrade it is over the no5 i am using on my XR now

Dec 12, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #17,327 of 45,723
1A And 1Z are different, and confirmed by Sony engineers.

1A is faster and thinner in comparison to 1Z which is more fluidity and warmth, Sony made both A (solid state signature) and Z (tube like signatures), so the buyers has his/her own preferences can choose. There is no winner.

However, ultimately, many people decided to go for 1Z since (Cables) Matters. That means the better the materials, components, the better the performances, theoretically. However, many earlier reported that exactly what Sony stated

1A to be more solid state and even with wider soundstage while 1Z is more fluidity and lush and even narrower soundstage. However, there are people still debating between which one is to have. The majority of people who could afford 1Z based on the materials matters, judging from some cables such as Kimber Axios that cost even more than 1Z itself, the 1Z is a unique piece of equipment from cost to productions and even engineering stand point. People who want to perfect it further will even upgrade the internal wires (another topic).

Then, many of the 1Z owner would called out to Sony that even 1Z was good, but not enough in comparison to 380Cu, particularly the separations, layering and soundstage. Sony released firmware 2.0 which addressed the above issues, however, it significantly changed the sound signature of 1Z in the while the same firmware is applicable toward 1A as well, Sony did not specifically addressed firmware 2.0 to be 1Z alone, and we have people to debate whether the 1A sounds better with 2.0 or worse

The diversity gets even wider. Anyways, it is very interesting to see how well Sony is doing, and for the price-performances, you can not go wrong with 1A. Excepts if you want anything else it doesn’t have, aka USB DAC, Android, wireless connectivity ?

All I can say: If you can afford the 1Z, go for it, Sony made it and price it and is so proud of it being Flagship of the signature series. There is a reason for it whether you respect Sony engineering and using exotic materials or you just want to be special among the top tier of productions. Sound performances, both A and Z are different to a justifiable degree and your preferences will be the decisive factor

I just repeat what I had previously said .... Sony just needs to create multiple sound signatures for selection ... .. in this way not only will not upset those original owner who likes and get use to the original sounds , newly added sounds will also give new excitement to those like the new sound stage .... .. why so unwise to create a new sound to replace any existing sounds .... ? ! ? ! ? ! ?

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #17,328 of 45,723
Thanks. I'm currently using a PWAudio #5, but that 1960s 4 wire is great looking. I see you have a #5, too. Is there much difference in the sound?
I would like to say both two Cable present totally different, no 5 is a warmer singature cable, you can easy enjoy in the vocal , but compare to 1960s 2 wire, it’s is more clear and solid in resolution, Soundstage is wider , and background is more dark.

For 4 wire soundstage is even wider.

Don’t miss this great cable :)

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #17,329 of 45,723
I have both VE6XC LSE, VE8, Zeus XR, Flamenco and RE2000, those IEM pair pretty well with WM1Z, excpet RE2000, some data is showing the power for 1Z is around 136 mW@32 ohm, very hard to drive RE2000 which have 60 ohm Rs.

23679690788_7b4d18c4e0_b.jpg
that is some collection !!

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #17,330 of 45,723
I've noticed the walkman doesn't beep when you play DSD files, with PCM every play-button press makes a beep

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #17,332 of 45,723
I've noticed the walkman doesn't beep when you play DSD files, with PCM every play-button press makes a beep

You can disable the beeps in Settings

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #17,333 of 45,723
Yes i know we can disable beeping, but how curious beep set to ON, PCM yeah beeps, DSD no beep, so i must pay attention before removing HPs to ensure is really paused

BTW I'm loving the sound of DSD

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #17,334 of 45,723
Yes i know we can disable beeping, but how curious beep set to ON, PCM yeah beeps, DSD no beep, so i must pay attention before removing HPs to ensure is really paused

BTW I'm loving the sound of DSD

It automatically pauses when you remove the headphone plug

Dec 12, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #17,335 of 45,723
I would like to say both two Cable present totally different, no 5 is a warmer singature cable, you can easy enjoy in the vocal , but compare to 1960s 2 wire, it’s is more clear and solid in resolution, Soundstage is wider , and background is more dark.

For 4 wire soundstage is even wider.

Don’t miss this great cable :)

Ha, I don't want to miss it, but my wallet is telling me to enjoy the #5.

Dec 12, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #17,336 of 45,723
is the Zeus XR cable the pw1960s 2-wire ? curious how much of an upgrade it is over the no5 i am using on my XR now

You mean the stock cable with the Zeus? My Zeus came with BTG Starlight, but I think it might be coming with something different now. I upgraded to the PWAudio #5 and love it with the WM1Z, but the PW1960 is a great cable with the Sony WM1Z that is probably out of my price range.

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #17,337 of 45,723
Does the Dynamic Normalizer function just increase the sound so all peaks are at 0 dB, or does it add any type of dynamic compression or limiting as well?

Dec 12, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #17,339 of 45,723
Man, I love Wm1Z on 2.0 Firmware and Utopia ! WOOOooooo. Everything is so good, especially the deep and rumbling bass in the while rippling away extensions ! The trebles gets very Sparkly but no sibilants. Amazing! For a portable setup

Curious question, did you do internal wires yourself?
Is it easy to do it like open the unit out?

Dec 12, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #17,340 of 45,723
Curious question, did you do internal wires yourself?
Is it easy to do it like open the unit out?
opening the unit is easy, the rubber grip back is glued with an easy to remove glue, experience with my zx100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back