SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #17,236 of 45,723
How safe is to turn on and play music off your WM1 series during cold winter, when the unit feels bloody cold to the touch? Unfortunately my house in mexico doesnt have any heating, and today it snowed during the night and we saw snow in the morning...

i am wrried about condensation :D

Snow in Mexico? Global warming? :)
Condensation may occur if there is big temperature difference between cold device and warm room temperature. Better to keep it warm. :)

Dec 9, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #17,238 of 45,723
IMG_20171209_112327.jpg There again there's nothing wrong with dropping a little extra on these beauties great improvement on the MK 1's !

Dec 9, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #17,239 of 45,723
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/matrix-petka.452859/

Lol, I have something to look forward to!

You may just like the sound if you heard it? Though I'm guessing the upgrade to a balanced cable will not be as dramatic as the power hungry XBA-Z5 would be. Encores can get loud from 45% of an iPhone.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #17,243 of 45,723
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/matrix-petka.452859/

Lol, I have something to look forward to!

You may just like the sound if you heard it? Though I'm guessing the upgrade to a balanced cable will not be as dramatic as the power hungry XBA-Z5 would be. Encores can get loud from 45% of an iPhone.

yeah, but you might also appreciate a blacker background (which results in faster notes transient and overall tighter sound) and a more holographic soundstage expansion, when switching to balanced.

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #17,244 of 45,723
yeah, but you might also appreciate a blacker background (which results in faster notes transient and overall tighter sound) and a more holographic soundstage expansion, when switching to balanced.

It may be six months till I get a balanced cable for them, but I hear you. Those words are........... like an elixir!

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #17,245 of 45,723
This set up and unbalanced !!! What !!!!
Are you trying to give us nightmares ?
I won't sleep tonight !

Haha!

I know a $100 cable. But..........I actually live on an desolate island where no such things exist. I have to fly out for stuff. I do asure you it’s pretty good now.

I actually tried to find a cable before I had to fly back, but no such luck. They were all sold out.

Balanced isn’t everything, of course it could be another 10% or more????

And yes, that’s what we are always chasing.

Dec 9, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #17,247 of 45,723
[QUOTE="Redcarmoose, post: 139 Probably the biggest surprise was the ZX300!

too bad with only 64gb it'll only fit 2 or so 11k DSDs[/QUOTE]

That’s a great point and another reason to stay with the two models this thread is about. Personally I only have about 5 albums, but am starting to think I hear differences from 44.1/16bit to DSD. So who knows I may get more into it. Don’t know if the ZX300 will read the big cards, but if it does that may be a solution? But that is slightly oxymoronic to offer Direct Stream and get a IPod level of storage to go along with it. Of course next year will maybe be 250GB storage for the ZX300. They have to do something to keep the train a moving.

Still it also brings up an upcoming issue with portable audio, as I’m not sure how many folks are stuck on going moble with giant DSD libraries? I personally never leave the house with my Walkman. Yep never walk with the Walkman. I simply can’t hear the improvements in audio while on the street. Now many may have other uses going transportable with DSD. As it’s probably a plus to be able to have your DSD files moble. But I think Sony is doing a trickle down marketing strategy where they have started with big ticket items and are now starting to let folks join in at a lesser price. Though I also think that buyers group has other goals in mind? They may be the group to have less DSD files and maybe not care so much as long as they can take great sounding music anywhere be it MP3 and 44.1/16bit? Thus the ZX300 has a place.

It’s almost like DSD is now marketing spice for that consumer group. Add the advantages of 4.4 Pentaconn as a marketing tool for Sony once it gets more traction, the sky is the limit, and it’s maybe another reason Sony used a new big 5 pole for balanced as it’s great marketing. Next $400 players offering DSD, 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced and Sony is now dominating the moble market.

You have to think Sony has some plans up their sleave to place the advantages of 4.4mm into a line of IEMs? It looks like we may see lower priced 4.4mm cables along with a balanced line of IEM from Sony. Why not? They make the players and IEMs?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #17,248 of 45,723
Do I need to have a microsd card reader to be able to load music onto the microsd card or do I drag the music into the micro sdcard while it is in the NW-WM1A?
you don't need a microSD card reader, the card will show in the player as two separate drivers one labeled WALKMAN (internal storage) and one labeled Micro SD card or so

One thing Put all your music in a folder called MUSIC

I use a micro SD card reader to speed-up tramsfers of namely huge DSD files or 24 bit files

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #17,249 of 45,723
[QUOTE="Redcarmoose, post: 139 Probably the biggest surprise was the ZX300!

too bad with only 64gb it'll only fit 2 or so 11k DSDs[/QUOTE] how big are 11MHz DSD albums? 32GB?! wow insane.. i have 2.8224MHz DSD and some take 4GB lol

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #17,250 of 45,723
Haha!

I know a $100 cable. But..........I actually live on an desolate island where no such things exist. I have to fly out for stuff. I do asure you it’s pretty good now.

I actually tried to find a cable before I had to fly back, but no such luck. They were all sold out.

Balanced isn’t everything, of course it could be another 10% or more????

And yes, that’s what we are always chasing.
I hear you , it's not that much better in the UK as opposed to US and Asia for gear and that's why I build my own to my own tastes and designs not to mention my OCD perfection attitude to build quality. But yeah balanced is a definite must you will hear the difference and it's more than 10% I tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back