SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #16,786 of 45,723
I can confirm that the firmware 2.0 fits warmer Dynamic Driver headphones better on 1A.

Also it does cause slight fatique, even if i listen at lower volume on Acoustune HS1551 CU.

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #16,788 of 45,723
My gosh, I barely used it, it's perfect and at 800$ no one wants it. Is a new version of this player coming out? Are people holding back because a successor is coming?

Consider being more realistic. Zooming in on your pictures, especially the one where the unit is placed where people park their backsides, shows it to have smudges and small bits of dust/debris all over the front and in the corners.
So it really isn't perfect or pristine.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #16,790 of 45,723
Anyone tried the new Sennheiser IE800S with the Sony DAPs?

I have briefly. Will test 1Z/ie800S more tonight and post a few impressions... Btw, besides an obvious change of soundstage expansion in both 4.4mm and 3.5mm HO ports (3.5mm SE port change is the most noticeable), I'm hearing 1Z being a little smoother/fuller in the upper frequencies when going from fw1.2 to fw2.0, still detailed and layered, but takes a little edge off. Not very obvious if you already have a warmer/smoother/neutral tuned IEMs, but more noticeable with brighter/revealing tuned iems. With 1Z, I'm the most impressed with 3.5mm SE update after fw change. There used to be a bigger gap in sound quality with 4.4mm, not it has improved with sound being more transparent and of course soundstage being noticeably wider. It still can't match the black background and faster transient of notes on/off in 4.4mm port, but nevertheless - I can enjoy 3.5mm more now.

Still, wish Sony would improve GUI and widen the touch area for fast forwarding through the song, When I want to scrub through the song by moving that touch bar forward, half of the time I end up swiping between the screens :frowning2:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #16,792 of 45,723
Still, wish Sony would improve GUI and widen the touch area for fast forwarding through the song, When I want to scrub through the song by moving that touch bar forward, half of the time I end up swiping between the screens :frowning2:

Touch and hold the seek bar first - the bar will brighten and thicken slightly if you hit it - then slide. Works 100% of the time even on the smaller screen devices like the A series.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #16,795 of 45,723
Consider being more realistic. Zooming in on your pictures, especially the one where the unit is placed where people park their backsides, shows it to have smudges and small bits of dust/debris all over the front and in the corners.
So it really isn't perfect or pristine.
I mean you can whipe it with a cloth, it isn't permanent.... Lol what a joke

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #16,796 of 45,723
I think I'll keep it if I can't get it out for 800

My feeling is that if you hadn’t opened it you might have been able to get up to $900. As it is now I think you’ll be lucky to get $700

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #16,798 of 45,723
I think I'll keep it if I can't get it out for 800

Get four or five hundred hours on the balanced output, and you will love it and not want to get rid of it. I have Lotoo Paw Gold Diana, Questyle QP1R, and Sony NW-WM1A and love them all depending on what mood I'm in.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #16,799 of 45,723
800$ is a great price, if i was on the look for a new wm1a i would jump all over his price

it's gonna sell but he is impatient and freaking out for nothing

oh well , capitalism is ruthless with the weak minded :darthsmile:

edit : i think that FW 2.0 makes WM1A sound more lean and eventually tiring , my Zeus on 2.0 sound almost as lean as how my NT6 sound on FW 1.2

will keep it some more to get a better idea

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #16,800 of 45,723
Hi Whitigir, can you do a favor .... with your 1Z, in the sound setting, in the Direct Souce Off , turn off all the sound setting ... DSEE HX, DC PHASE LINEARLIZER ...and save the setting, after that then go back to Direct Source on .... then follow by power off and then power on , testing hearing the sound with your Z1R in this Direct Souce on .... let me know how is the sound ... .. I have no time to explain at this moment, I just suspect there is potential bug with Sony player in the sound setting ... let me know how is the sound stage ..... before and after ....
I do lote a slight change in the sound (maybe placebo) using MDR-Z7, need to test more to confirm is more warmness is added back to the sound signature or is just a placebo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back