SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #16,231 of 45,723
Ok, time to spend some quality time to analyze the Wm1Z with new firmware. Yes, definitely the layering and separations has improved as the transparency level of the whole spectrum has became more crisp and clear. The 1Z appears to be even more neutral than it was with me since before 2.0 firmware.

Soundstage has became wider due to the separation and layering performances which has improved, and also the depth of staging is more pronounced. If before, the depth of stage was deep, and the width was more narrowed. This time, the Depth seems remain the same, but as the transparency and crispness has been improved, together with the wider soundstage, the depth also seems to be improved, but overall I think the depth stays the same. It is just that a lot has been cleared up, the improved of the depth come from the more accurate positioning of the instruments, which comes from the clearer imagines of the whole presentation and together with the Dynamic capability of 1Z, the imagines and cues of positioning is more vivid.

If before all this, the 1Z was slightly warm and approaching Neutral, this time it is ever closer to being Neutral, but the Bass slam is still Authentic, Powerful, the sub bass and deep bass rumbles remains, the mid bass is cleaned up being more dense, punchy, tighter.

How come ? Well, what I observed is mainly the more snappy and speedy mid spectrum and the tightened mid bass.

The mid spectrum used to feel a little sleepy before. Now, Overall speed of the mid spectrum seems to be faster, and awoken, energized. These 2 areas really did clean up the air and space presentations to bring us the improvements, better soundstage, layering, separations.

Trebles, perhap it still remains what it once was, but they cleaned up and a bit more speed did really improve and results into a more airy presentation in trebles tonality and details.

Vocal is still sweet, intimidating, full of emotion

All in all, my favorite in this firmware is that it really did bring more transparency And crispness into the 1Z signature over all. That sub-bass rumbles and explosive mid bass !!! An awesome presentation of bass signature here.

There have been 2 Players, that totally transformed with firmware upgrades, and previously it was Opus 3. However, it wasn’t this obvious and dramatic like the 1Z and 2.0.

Let me just put it in a simple way Wm1z used to be a middle aged romantic gentleman. The 2.0 transformed the 1Z into a younger version of this gentleman. Still gentle, romantic, but more energetic and fun!

**Now, What is that your 1A feel like**

If the 1A was speedy and faster before 2.0, and if the 1Z was the one aimed on this firmware, then how would the 1A be affected ? More airy ? More analytical ? Boring ? Or did it get more resolving with better details

I just started this morning istening to the Wm1z with FW 2.0 paired with the SE5U.
My first feedback is that the unit is slightly less warm, definitely more neutral and, al least for me, improved mid and treble, the SE5U has definitely more sparkle now.

Nov 11, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #16,232 of 45,723
Ok, time to spend some quality time to analyze the Wm1Z with new firmware. Yes, definitely the layering and separations has improved as the transparency level of the whole spectrum has became more crisp and clear. The 1Z appears to be even more neutral than it was with me since before 2.0 firmware.

Soundstage has became wider due to the separation and layering performances which has improved, and also the depth of staging is more pronounced. If before, the depth of stage was deep, and the width was more narrowed. This time, the Depth seems remain the same, but as the transparency and crispness has been improved, together with the wider soundstage, the depth also seems to be improved, but overall I think the depth stays the same. It is just that a lot has been cleared up, the improved of the depth come from the more accurate positioning of the instruments, which comes from the clearer imagines of the whole presentation and together with the Dynamic capability of 1Z, the imagines and cues of positioning is more vivid.

If before all this, the 1Z was slightly warm and approaching Neutral, this time it is ever closer to being Neutral, but the Bass slam is still Authentic, Powerful, the sub bass and deep bass rumbles remains, the mid bass is cleaned up being more dense, punchy, tighter.

How come ? Well, what I observed is mainly the more snappy and speedy mid spectrum and the tightened mid bass.

The mid spectrum used to feel a little sleepy before. Now, Overall speed of the mid spectrum seems to be faster, and awoken, energized. These 2 areas really did clean up the air and space presentations to bring us the improvements, better soundstage, layering, separations.

Trebles, perhap it still remains what it once was, but they cleaned up and a bit more speed did really improve and results into a more airy presentation in trebles tonality and details.

Vocal is still sweet, intimidating, full of emotion

All in all, my favorite in this firmware is that it really did bring more transparency And crispness into the 1Z signature over all. That sub-bass rumbles and explosive mid bass !!! An awesome presentation of bass signature here.

There have been 2 Players, that totally transformed with firmware upgrades, and previously it was Opus 3. However, it wasn’t this obvious and dramatic like the 1Z and 2.0.

Let me just put it in a simple way Wm1z used to be a middle aged romantic gentleman. The 2.0 transformed the 1Z into a younger version of this gentleman. Still gentle, romantic, but more energetic and fun!

**Now, What is that your 1A feel like**

If the 1A was speedy and faster before 2.0, and if the 1Z was the one aimed on this firmware, then how would the 1A be affected ? More airy ? More analytical ? Boring ? Or did it get more resolving with better details

...and this is where Sony need to be very careful. If, as a number of us suspect, Sony have indeed changed the signature of the 1A/1Z via this firmware update, they need to fez up. These are not cheap DAPs - and some people are very careful about device selection. I think Sony should release a 2.01, which contains the codec/protocol/UI updates, but keeps the signature as before, or allow people to rollback to previous firmware versions. Whilst personally, I'm happy about the changes, others may not be and may suddenly find themselves less than happy with their prized DAP. Come one Sony, you need to be clearer about what you are changing - AND provide the facility to backout changes - this is software 101 stuff for goodness sake.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #16,233 of 45,723
agreed. i've quickly gotten rid of DAPS for this exact reason

...and this is where Sony need to be very careful. If, as a number of us suspect, Sony have indeed changed the signature of the 1A/1Z via this firmware update, they need to fez up. These are not cheap DAPs - and some people are very careful about device selection. I think Sony should release a 2.01, which contains the codec/protocol updates, but keeps the signature as before, or allow people to rollback to previous firmware versions. Whilst personally, I'm happy about the changes, others may not be and may suddenly find themselves less than happy with their prized DAP. Come one Sony, you need to be clearer about what you are changing - AND provide the facility to backout changes - this is software 101 for goodness sake.

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #16,234 of 45,723
I think you will have to do it manually.

The way I handle multi disc albums is like if I have 2 discs, dusc 1 with 10 tracks and dusc 2 with 8 tracks then I delete all disc tags and change the 8 tracks on disc 2 to have tack numbers 11-18. It then just looks like a 1 dusc album with 18 tracks. I’ve done that with sll my multi disc albums.

This is such a pain in the butt. I have a 2 disc album and i keep getting tracks in disc 2 stuck between tracks in disk one in the sony software. It doesnt matter if the album is different and the track numbers are different, like its locked that way in a tag outside the program, idk.

Here few pictures of the accident.
I’ve been lucky.

you are lucky, but that case is incredible. Ive dropped my 1A twice while sitting, slid out of shallow pockets, not a scratch. need to take better care

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #16,235 of 45,723
What’s that iem ? Look cool.
Acoustune HS1551 CU

I heard their range at a show recently, can't remember which one was my fav out of the different types they done but know it was one of the top two they did in the range which sounded a bit more fun shall we say and the other one was more neutral/ flat. Went well with my 1A when I tried them anyway. Very well built and what you get with it is very good value for money as an overall package.

Try dropping it into the pond, I can guarantee it won't float, wait a couple of years later, and you have a buried tresure of gold. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just tell me which pond when it happens ; )

Here few pictures of the accident.
I’ve been lucky.
You are lucky, with a brick like that, there is more chance of getting some markings on the corner of your 1Z, and you came out clean.
Now boys and girls, don't try this at home, it's not for the faint hearted.:wink:

I didn't try it at home, I tried it in a rest room in my first week of having my 1A and still waiting for a case but the new 4.4 bal cable I just got was a lot shorter than I usually have my cables so could not go down my back and round into my front jean pocket like I would normally so the wife said just put it in your inside jacket pocket which was more of a light full zip sports jumper I had only just purchased the same week with quite an open pocket design inside and when I got to London for a show I booked into the hotel which my room was not ready so freshened up quickly in their public rest room they had and went to take my jacket off and forgot just how loose the pocket opening was and the Walkman slipped out on to hard tiled flooring and I almost had a heart attack on the spot! I always use cases (in this instance the 1A was a impulse buy of Amazon when it went cheap so not enough time for a case to arrive) and never get my gear scratched normally and here I was with my dearest dap ever in first week and smashing sound on tile flooring to this day still makes me shudder, couldn't believe it.

Apart from it's war wound as seen in photo below it shows it is built like a tank as screen glass or display was not affected at all and worked flawlessy all day and ever since and now nine months on I'm still in heaven with this even before the latest 2.0 update I downloaded yesterday.

Please let this be a warning to anyone not using a case especiallly when on a hard surface such as tiled flooring!

DSC_0372.JPG
:sob::sob::triportsad:

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #16,236 of 45,723
...and this is where Sony need to be very careful. If, as a number of us suspect, Sony have indeed changed the signature of the 1A/1Z via this firmware update, they need to fez up. These are not cheap DAPs - and some people are very careful about device selection. I think Sony should release a 2.01, which contains the codec/protocol/UI updates, but keeps the signature as before, or allow people to rollback to previous firmware versions. Whilst personally, I'm happy about the changes, others may not be and may suddenly find themselves less than happy with their prized DAP. Come one Sony, you need to be clearer about what you are changing - AND provide the facility to backout changes - this is software 101 stuff for goodness sake.
You can rollback to older firmware by downloading it from Sony's website. I've done it multiple times.

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #16,237 of 45,723
This is such a pain in the butt. I have a 2 disc album and i keep getting tracks in disc 2 stuck between tracks in disk one in the sony software. It doesnt matter if the album is different and the track numbers are different, like its locked that way in a tag outside the program, idk.

you are lucky, but that case is incredible. Ive dropped my 1A twice while sitting, slid out of shallow pockets, not a scratch. need to take better care

This is not the first time mine dropped, it happened also in the office (cable too short) and fell flat on the back, luckily no problem, the floor had carpet but the dap is very sturdy, not sure it's the shape but when I hold the SP1000 I'm so careful as it is made of glass.

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #16,238 of 45,723
Totally agree, Sony needs to be very careful here, I started missing a little of the Lush sound signature of the previous version and it is getting a little closer to the SP 1000 CU. Let’s hope the trend will stop here.

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #16,239 of 45,723
What I am afraid is that if the 1Z is more neutral than before, what about 1A ? You don’t want it to be sterile, too analytical, clinical....short of things. I agree that a lot of people prize their DAP for what it is, and may even already have Amazing synergies with their CIEMS, and so on. Changing this won’t make senses

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #16,240 of 45,723
it would be funny if the new FW turns 1z into more 1a-ish (transparent/reference) and 1a into more 1z-ish(lush/musical)

so the new FW turns 1z into more reference sounding , still not sure what the effect on 1a is

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #16,241 of 45,723
You can rollback to older firmware by downloading it from Sony's website. I've done it multiple times.

....ahhh, OK, I know there was talk about this being possible earlier on in this thread, perhaps I missed the posts that detailed how it was done. However, I stand by what I said about the possible signature changes - these do need to be at least mentioned. It would of course be ideal if signature changes could be separated from functionality changes, such that "investors" could benefit from codec/ui/protocol changes, whilst not materially changing how their device sounds. After all, this is ALL about the sound.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #16,242 of 45,723
it would be funny if the new FW turns 1z into more 1a-ish (transparent/reference) and 1a into more 1z-ish(lush/musical)

so the new FW turns 1z into more reference sounding , still not sure what the effect on 1a is

That wouldn’t be possible :D . 1 firmware for both is like moving both parallel from A to B

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #16,243 of 45,723

so you rolled back from 2.0, or other fw? just wondering as there is warning saying you can't roll back from 2.0 on the Sony website

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #16,244 of 45,723
Where are people getting this clear case from? I’m US based - Amazon by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back