SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #15,499 of 45,723
So a balanced cable really is just the jack that's different? Nothing about the cable is *balanced*?

Balanced cable requires 4 wires all the way to the jack. Many normal cables only have 3 wires from the Y join and down to the plug

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #15,501 of 45,723
What happens if you stick a normal se cable into an adapter. So from 4.4 to a 3.5 reg

You may well short circuit the source damaging it

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #15,504 of 45,723
I sold LPG after I get Sony nwz x1061I liked more with se5ult and I dont understand all hype about LPG

I have figured out PMEQ and I can make LPG Diana sound like any DAP I want.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #15,507 of 45,723
One question that bothers me since long, is the Sony S-master dac/amp anything similar to the Chord FPGA?

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #15,508 of 45,723
One question that bothers me since long, is the Sony S-master dac/amp anything similar to the Chord FPGA?

No, completely different.

FPGA chips are electronically programmable (and sometimes even re-programmable), they are actually general purpose chips that can be programmed for any usages, in this case it's the Chord software which programs the chip to act as a DAC. S-Master on the other hand is completely fabricated by Sony - they design the entire chip's internal circuitry from the silicon level and is thus hard wired to be a single purpose chip.

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #15,509 of 45,723
No, completely different.

FPGA chips are electronically programmable (and sometimes even re-programmable), they are actually general purpose chips that can be programmed for any usages, in this case it's the Chord software which programs the chip to act as a DAC. S-Master on the other hand is completely fabricated by Sony - they design the entire chip's internal circuitry from the silicon level and is thus hard wired to be a single purpose chip.
Totally agreed, Sony design their own from the root core to technologies :). Sony is the grand master behind this technology

Nov 1, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #15,510 of 45,723
Totally agreed, Sony design their own from the root core to technologies :). Sony is the grand master behind this technology

With Chord I would believe they have the knowledge to design their own chip, as you need that know-how to program FPGA chips anyway. But it's probably not economically feasible for them to get them made with the quantity they produce. Unlike Sony which has their own chip fabrication facilities, and they share the same chip across a wide range of products from the A series all the way to the WM1Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back