SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #15,091 of 45,723
I've been also interested on this comparison for sometime: WM1Z (as digital source / transport) -> Hugo 2 -> Headphones vs WM1Z -> Headphones.

First question would be if it is possible to identify each setup in a sort of blind test.

The second question would be how those setups compare in terms on tonal balance, treble, mid-range, bass, soundstagging, imaging, dynamics, detail (including micro-detail) and musicality in general

Well, in the first scenario the Sony wouldn't be doing much other than being pretty. It only feeds data to the Hugo 2, so quality of cable is more important than the the source.

Second scenario is a comparison between wm1z and the Hugo 2, there should be some around.

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #15,092 of 45,723
I would rate the source is most important, and then quality cables....in the while, both are just as important. However, can Hugo 2 outperform Wm1Z ? If so, by how much, then taking into account of practicality between stacking and an all in one player....hmmm....

This hobby is much more than just stacking piece by piece of the most expensive one into the chain and thinking that you have the best.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #15,093 of 45,723
I've been also interested on this comparison for sometime: WM1Z (as digital source / transport) -> Hugo 2 -> Headphones vs WM1Z -> Headphones.

First question would be if it is possible to identify each setup in a sort of blind test.

The second question would be how those setups compare in terms on tonal balance, treble, mid-range, bass, soundstagging, imaging, dynamics, detail (including micro-detail) and musicality in general
pointless to do this as the wm1z/A is being the feeding device in digital format, none of the player's analogue stage components are being used.

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #15,094 of 45,723
The presentation of the WM1Z and Hugo 2 is very different. 1Z is warmer and smoother, Hugo 2 is brighter and more analytical. You can own both at the same time because they don't really overlap.

Plus the 1Z is a one box solution, the Hugo 2 still requires a digital source. I use the 1Z on the go, the Hugo 2 OTOH is my desktop DAC.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #15,095 of 45,723
pointless to do this as the wm1z/A is being the feeding device in digital format, none of the player's analogue stage components are being used.

That's exactly the point that makes it valid in my opinion: you are comparing the digital-to-analogue implementation of Sony with the digital-to-analogue implementation of the Hugo (when the Sony's analogue components are inactive).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #15,096 of 45,723
That's exactly the point that makes it valid in my opinion: you are comparing the digital-to-analogue implementation of Sony with the digital-to-analogue implementation of the Hugo (when the Sony's analogue components are inactive).

So you don't really need a WM1Z for the Hugo set up then. Just use whatever transport you have on hand.

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #15,097 of 45,723
So you don't really need a WM1Z for the Hugo set up then. Just use whatever transport you have on hand.
Transport will still affect the quality....but using 1Z for Hugo is a bit extreme. I would understand if u use 1Z as a transporting mean into Desktop DAC, but still extreme....definitely no smartphone

I would consider anything such as Zx2, A40, Zx100, Zx300 as transportations....beside, there are a lot more if you want Spdif/Coax, fe, DX200.

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #15,098 of 45,723
Transport will still affect the quality....but using 1Z for Hugo is a bit extreme. I would understand if u use 1Z as a transporting mean into Desktop DAC, but still extreme....definitely no smartphone

I would consider anything such as Zx2, A40, Zx100, Zx300 as transportations....beside, there are a lot more if you want Spdif/Coax, fe, DX200.

Why would the transport affect sound quality?

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #15,103 of 45,723
Just go with the one Sony recommend, Kimber Axios Silver. It is only slightly more expensive than the player itself

I'll take a dozen then :laughing:

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #15,105 of 45,723
If I made a proposal to my wife using them, I would get a slap in the face....luckily it was a real one :wink:

...ouch, that would sting! Funny image though, popping the question with a headphone cable in a nice little box with a cheesy grin......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back