SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #15,076 of 45,723
hmmm anyone have any desktop gear to compare the wm1a with? Thinking about getting a high end r2r dac, and I remember purk saying the wm1a/wm1z is equivalent to abouta PHA-3, which is marvelous as a portable solution, but I wonder if it is better than say a gumby+vorguze Pure II+ desktop setup....I'm still hestitant because the SONY is so optimized and designed for iems. Its also a fantastic pairing with the andromedas on the balanced connection. Thinking about getting the new soekris r2r dac....hmm choices choices

Purk modded 1Z is on the par with Pha-3 from his view. Not sure about stock.

I do have a desktop system with Stax-009, and all I can say is that the 1Z is an excellent player. It compact form, the purity in it Dynamic is a pure bliss. In the mean while I also have Dx200. I take Dx200 to be on the competitive tier to 1Z for many reason, and pricing is being 1 of it most major reasons. However, when nit and pick, and all about purity and performances, the 1Z is better

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #15,077 of 45,723
I don't have the time to wade through the hundreds of pages dedicated to the DX200 - and I am not letting go of my 1Z anytime soon - however I am interested in streaming and Tidal.
With the DX200 - I assume you are using a jumper cable from 4.4 Pentacon to whatever the DX200 takes (3.5mm?)
Have you run into any software issues with it (as I seem to have read that the software is a bit buggy).

I do know they will be releasing a 4.4 Pentacon amp module for it any day soon.

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #15,078 of 45,723
I don't have the time to wade through the hundreds of pages dedicated to the DX200 - and I am not letting go of my 1Z anytime soon - however I am interested in streaming and Tidal.
With the DX200 - I assume you are using a jumper cable from 4.4 Pentacon to whatever the DX200 takes (3.5mm?)
Have you run into any software issues with it (as I seem to have read that the software is a bit buggy).

I do know they will be releasing a 4.4 Pentacon amp module for it any day soon.
2.5mm into female 4.4mm :) and that is my solution for now. The amp4 will have 4.4mm but will not have the line-out 2.5mm. So...your choice is clear, though they are both pretty much the same.

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #15,079 of 45,723
The New WM1Z user is here, really love it.

I may need to upgrade my cable to 4.4 mm soon

23679690788_7b4d18c4e0_b.jpg
Looking to order my first CIEM to go with my 1Z, since you have a good selection, can you tell me your favourites?

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #15,083 of 45,723
Looking to order my first CIEM to go with my 1Z, since you have a good selection, can you tell me your favourites?
Hi

It's depends, if you prefer wider soundstage and extensions , RE2000 is better. If you prefer accurate bass and neutral sounding, VE8. If you prefer resolution and easily to drive, Zeus XR. For neutral sounding with slightly warm, Flamenco.

Kindly noted that RE2000 is not easy to drive , it’s resistant 60 ohm, even if I pair with 1z it gives spark sounding, while I don’t find if I pair with LPG, will try 4.4 soon.

Oct 10, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #15,084 of 45,723
Cause 1A/Z highs sparkles. So those chimes, cymbals, guitar strings, metal percussions will have these sparkling type of sound.

The first time i experience this was on 4.4mm Sony Kimber Kable. It was a cable filled with lows but it managed to gives sparkle on highs. I was like.. hmm... interesting.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #15,085 of 45,723
What volume level do you listen to soft tracks with on the Utopia and the 1Z? I just bought a WM1a (had CEW destination code, so I changed it to US and removed the volume cap, and also updated the firmware). Today, I made a balanced cable adapter.

It can get pretty loud with a loud track, but probably only slightly above normal listening levels with a lot of my audiophile tracks (e.g. Chesky records, etc...). I also have it in direct mode, so I haven't tried replay gain, but of course disabled AVLS and set the balanced output to high gain. Many of these softer songs I play back at 104-106. If there is some setting I am missing please advise :wink:

I initially tried an Askell & Kern AK100ii player before the WM1a and it wasn't nearly loud enough for me. It's going back to Adorama. The Sony is loud enough for my listening levels and music, but I'm new to DAPs and used to having a lot more headroom.

I have to say, the Sony WM1a is an engineering marvel though. Probably one of the best blind purchases I have made as I got it for $755 brand new from a ebay best offer!

I had no idea about the efforts Sony went through; they even designed their own Class D chips. I'm attaching some stuff on S-Master translated from the Japanese Wikipedia site. This has to be one of the best portable players ever made. It truly sounds fantastic.

The ability to express Trebles body and extensions on the 1Z is very crazy. I literally just realized that it can even express this wind chimes type of instruments too...vivid, and realistic. Especially the combination of 1Z and Utopia

Attachments

• S-Master - Wikipedia.pdf
    458.2 KB · Views: 0
Oct 10, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #15,086 of 45,723
I bought the sony upgrade cable for XBA-Z5 (the 4.4mm one that is not kimber) with accessory Jack because that free shipping option. MUC-M12NB1

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #15,087 of 45,723
I read from chinese forum that is not bad too.

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #15,088 of 45,723
After putting the Z1R cables courtesy of @asquare3376 into my MDR-Z7. And while using XBA-Z5 at work and not getting that extra oomph i get with the Z7 + zr1 cables i decided to jump on the wagon. Stock cables suck

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #15,089 of 45,723
Oct 11, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #15,090 of 45,723
I have both, but I use them completely differently. Not sure what sort of comparison can be made.

I've been also interested on this comparison for sometime: WM1Z (as digital source / transport) -> Hugo 2 -> Headphones vs WM1Z -> Headphones.

First question would be if it is possible to identify each setup in a sort of blind test.

The second question would be how those setups compare in terms on tonal balance, treble, mid-range, bass, soundstagging, imaging, dynamics, detail (including micro-detail) and musicality in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back