SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #14,852 of 45,723
Sep 29, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #14,853 of 45,723
Thank you! Totally agree, that WM1Z was built around balanced output. As owner of DP-X1 I can say that for my ears and liking balanced performs way better than SE, especially in ACG mode. Maybe it depends on gear? Anyway, Sony shining on balanced.
The player has both, a full functional non symmetric (unbalanced) and a separate symmetric (balanced) output stage. Both work like charm and of course the balanced one has more output power. But easy to drive items like my Sony MDR-EX1000 run perfect out of the 3.5 mmm socket which consumes less energy on the go. So having the choice between two output stages is a feature, and that the 3.5 mmm socket has less oomph is totally ok. And one can only compare both outputs once they are both properly burned in. I did this and now they both sound quite similar on lower levels.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #14,854 of 45,723
The player has both, a full functional non symmetric (unbalanced) and a separate symmetric (balanced) output stage. Both work like charm and of course the balanced one has more output power. But easy to drive items like my Sony MDR-EX1000 run perfect out of the 3.5 mmm socket which consumes less energy on the go. So having the choice between two output stages is a feature, and that the 3.5 mmm socket has less oomph is totally ok. And one can only compare both outputs once they are both properly burned in. I did this and now they both sound quite similar on lower levels.

I agree, the differences are observable from 3.5 to 4.4...however, they are not like 3.5mm is horribly suck or whatever

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #14,856 of 45,723

I agree - both outputs are good. But... on balanced output you are getting the most beautiful sound and it is worth to make investment into balanced cables 150%

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #14,859 of 45,723
I just got balanced cables and noticed that there is a crackling sound the 1st half second of playing any DSD track. This doesn't seem to be an issue when playing PCM. However when switching from DSD to FLAC/PCM it happens also but not thereafter as long as you stick to FLAC. Happens again when you swtich back to DSD files. Anyone have this issue? Strange!!

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #14,860 of 45,723
I just got balanced cables and noticed that there is a crackling sound the 1st half second of playing any DSD track. This doesn't seem to be an issue when playing PCM. However when switching from DSD to FLAC/PCM it happens also but not thereafter as long as you stick to FLAC. Happens again when you swtich back to DSD files. Anyone have this issue? Strange!!

Cracling sound. If in headphones/IEMs - no. Switching from FLAC to HR FLAC, DSD there is click in player - there is relay for oscillators.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #14,863 of 45,723
Ticking sound more like it... lol~

Mine do hear a light tick when changing playing formats.

I donno how it sounds like on higher volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back