nowadays I only use iTunes to convert files to AIFF if I need,
never use it to organize my library

drag and drop is the best
as long as my Walkman read tags and sort by artist/ album/ genre
I'm fine
I don't need that fancy thing

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #14,014 of 45,723
I don't know how harder is to program this but I'm sure if Sony ways it's easy to do. It's not normal that you create a Playlist in the Wm1a and it doesn't appears in Media Go. It's not normal we can't star the songs and really use the dynamic Playlist. I don't want to hear a song, think it's a bad song, go to the computer and assign 1 star for example in the media go software to avoid copy it in the next sync. It will be harder but it's an OS half done, like I said in other post, simply copy itunes / iPhone.

It's actually very hard to keep two copies of your library in sync, what seems like a simple action in our mind is completely different in computer and programming logic.

Just take your Playlist example - the file location of the music in your player is DIFFERENT to that of the file location on your host PC, eg say in the player it is "\music\Beatles\" but on your PC it maybe "D:\my favourite music\best stuff\Beatles", even if the folder structure is exactly the same, due to different OSes (Linux based systems have no drive letter assignments while Windows does for example) just missing the D: drive assignment already means the Playlist is unless on the PC, so you cannot simply copy over the Playlist file from the player to the PC because then the Playlist will not be pointing to the correct location of the file and throw an error. So how will the syncing know to create an exact copy of the playlist on the PC? You'll have to keep another set of data and perform a look up and create what appears to be the same Playlist on the PC but its actual code underneath is entirely different. Giving a rating to your music is the same - you'll have to keep track of the change on the player and then change the corresponding file on the host PC, then there is the matter of whether you actually alter the file itself, or do it like iTunes where the changes are kept on a separate file - which then makes migrating to a different system impossible etc. And last but not least as I said to keep this tidy, drag and drop function will most likely have to be removed.

There are a LOT of reasons why complex bi-directional sync is not done on nearly all non-iOS DAPs, the logic is HARD and isn't compatible with certain features that another set of people want (like drag and drop and folder play).

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #14,016 of 45,723
possibly but it's useful for someone like me who has almost 400GB of music on the 1Z

This is how I picture Sony looking at your request.
large.jpg

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #14,018 of 45,723
It's actually very hard to keep two copies of your library in sync, what seems like a simple action in our mind is completely different in computer and programming logic.

Just take your Playlist example - the file location of the music in your player is DIFFERENT to that of the file location on your host PC, eg say in the player it is "\music\Beatles\" but on your PC it maybe "D:\my favourite music\best stuff\Beatles", even if the folder structure is exactly the same, due to different OSes (Linux based systems have no drive letter assignments while Windows does for example) just missing the D: drive assignment already means the Playlist is unless on the PC, so you cannot simply copy over the Playlist file from the player to the PC because then the Playlist will not be pointing to the correct location of the file and throw an error. So how will the syncing know to create an exact copy of the playlist on the PC? You'll have to keep another set of data and perform a look up and create what appears to be the same Playlist on the PC but its actual code underneath is entirely different. Giving a rating to your music is the same - you'll have to keep track of the change on the player and then change the corresponding file on the host PC, then there is the matter of whether you actually alter the file itself, or do it like iTunes where the changes are kept on a separate file - which then makes migrating to a different system impossible etc. And last but not least as I said to keep this tidy, drag and drop function will most likely have to be removed.

There are a LOT of reasons why complex bi-directional sync is not done on nearly all non-iOS DAPs, the logic is HARD and isn't compatible with certain features that another set of people want (like drag and drop and folder play).

I understand what you're explaining but from a simple user that pays a lot of money for this DAC like me, this simple must be a software option, simply this.

The programming problem is a problem for the Sony programs, simply this and you say that the problem it's difficult, but impossible I think.

As a simple user, I only demand simple functions. The is no sense have the possibility to create Playlist in the DAP that the PC/MAC doesn't understand (in my opinion).to

Another option to improve, delete compete album from DAP (not only single songs). I think this would be simple to program I hope.

Thanks for your explanations!

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #14,020 of 45,723
I have like $750 in amazon gift cards. I'm so impatient I'm in between buying a used one for $997 and having it tomorrow or $1200 rand new and having it sometime next week. :triportsad:

Buy used if a reliable source.

Sep 1, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #14,021 of 45,723
First USB-DAC please.

Can't live without Spotify. Large local music libraries consume too much time and they always tend to become chaotic over time, perhaps except one don't want to add new music regulary. I like musical diversity. The only way out for me is a perfectly clean and very large music collection in the cloud, together with a powerful client app. I really love high quality streaming services.

Sep 1, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #14,023 of 45,723
In Media Go library there is a mark on every album that is already transfered on my dap. Can't see anything like this in Media Center. Or am I doing something wrong?

Media Centre is too young now...

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #14,024 of 45,723
First USB-DAC please.

Can't live without Spotify. Large local music libraries consume too much time and they always tend to become chaotic over time, perhaps except one don't want to add new music regulary. I like musical diversity. The only way out for me is a perfectly clean and very large music collection in the cloud, together with a powerful client app. I really love high quality streaming services.
What you say is true, but not that exaggerated if tagging is done right the first time. This year I have added many new music to my library but the time spent on the tagging is minimal using mp3 tag.

Sure when I started ripping all to FLAC for first me. It consumed lots of time, but not anymore, assuming one has a proper backup strategy

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #14,025 of 45,723
5 More days until my new Zeus XR's show up in the mail thanks to an awesome head-fi seller here. It will be my first Audiophile IEM......I hate waiting, curious to hear the sound and the sound on the 1Z in balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back