SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #13,981 of 45,723
The thing is the components in WM1 mostly are built by SONY. They might have their own special design/technology which is flexible enough to able to implement things just by a firmware update.

Which means they had to negotiate with Qualcomm for access to the technology as aptX HD is proprietary technology. The fact that Sony is working with a competitor to implement their technology in their devices when they themselves has a superior but less adopted tech in itself is interesting from many angles.

Sep 1, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #13,982 of 45,723
Which means they had to negotiate with Qualcomm for access to the technology as aptX HD is proprietary technology. The fact that Sony is working with a competitor to implement their technology in their devices when they themselves has a superior but less adopted tech in itself is interesting from many angles.

Maybe they already had that... they make Xperia phones with Snapdragon chips too, don't they?

The latest Xperia ZX1 supports aptX HD too.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #13,983 of 45,723
The latest Xperia ZX1 supports aptX HD too.

ZX1 has Android Oreo out of box, and Android Oreo has aptX HD support build in because Qualcomm and Google penned a deal to have it build in. Plus Sony Mobile and Sony Audio Visual are completely separate departments in the company, what happens on one end doesn't necessarily reflect on the other.

Since none of the Walkmans run Android, and previously the ZX1/ZX2 runs Texus Instrument chips IIRC, the change to me seems to be quite drastic.

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #13,985 of 45,723
Who wants aptX HD in an equipment like WM1A/Z? It has no sense spending 1000/3000 USD to hearing music wireless I think, are we crazy??. This equipment are for hearing music in balanced mode and wired, the other ways I have my doubts that have sense! I don't know the AptX HD spec but I have seen 48 kHz/24 and Sony has the LDAC that is 192/24. They must be improve search functions and the functions we are demanding before aptx HD and rare files formats that are used by a few people.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #13,987 of 45,723
Who wants aptX HD in an equipment like WM1A/Z? It has no sense spending 1000/3000 USD to hearing music wireless I think, are we crazy??. This equipment are for hearing music in balanced mode and wired, the other ways I have my doubts that have sense! I don't know the AptX HD spec but I have seen 48 kHz/24 and Sony has the LDAC that is 192/24. They must be improve search functions and the functions we are demanding before aptx HD and rare files formats that are used by a few people.

Well, I do
I sometime listen with MDR-1000X and WM1Z in wireless :L3000:

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #13,988 of 45,723
Well, I do

LOL so do I on my way to work! Then when I go through a drive through for lunch, I just Double Tap the right ear and pay them and say "have a great day" then double tap and Im off!

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #13,989 of 45,723
LOL so do I on my way to work! Then when I go through a drive through for lunch, I just Double Tap the right ear and pay them and say "have a great day" then double tap and Im off!
Well, I do

But then I assume you would use LDAC and not APTX HD ?

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #13,990 of 45,723
Some manufacture actually lock the potential of their products but will unlock eventually using updates.

I am not sure if SONY's DAP is at full potiential or not.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #13,991 of 45,723
Basically, they are clearly visible in your first picture. The grey square ones, positioned similar to the WM1 board, but look different, smaller and little bit low end I assume...:)
It is just different housing for the coils.

Is that so ? Now you mentioned it, I thought I was looking at some MOSFET with foam spacers on top as I was looking to see the same style and housing design throughout Zx2 , Zx100, Wm1A/Z.... it really does look like them coils. I am not sure if they are lower grade, but probably more like a newer design. Thinner but able to handle 200mW per channel ? That is crazy, is this the potential to see the next gen Flagship Walkman to be able to drive even more full size Headphones ? Zx platform has always been a test bed for Sony next release, but what are they testing exactly ?

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #13,992 of 45,723
But then I assume you would use LDAC and not APTX HD ?

To be honest, I dont pay attention, I just turn bluetooth on and then turn it on the player, if the connection works..great and I dont think much more into because no matter what I know what I am listening to via bluetooth sucks in comparison to totl headsets wired connection. So all these versions of streaming I really could care less.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #13,994 of 45,723
To be honest, I dont pay attention, I just turn bluetooth on and then turn it on the player, if the connection works..great and I dont think much more into because no matter what I know what I am listening to via bluetooth sucks in comparison to totl headsets wired connection. So all these versions of streaming I really could care less.
That’s what I tried to say, you don’t need a 1000/3000 USD source to hearing music trough BT becouse there is no much more difference (or nothing) trough different transfer formats, even hearing trough an iPhone or a WM1Z. Wired and balanced, the sound of the WM1 vs other source o r even vs WM1 wired standard is night and day.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #13,995 of 45,723
Of course, all features are welcome but there are some features like search function or bidirectional sync in playslist that are more necessaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back