SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #13,411 of 45,723
DSD must do something drastic to the power or something because the audio files that are DSD, I am listening on my Senn HD800S in balanced mode on the 1Z, I have to max the volume to just to seem like its on a normal volume level, but when I play FLAC sound gets way louder.

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #13,413 of 45,723
Would be nice to not have to use a mojo.

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #13,414 of 45,723
DSD must do something drastic to the power or something because the audio files that are DSD, I am listening on my Senn HD800S in balanced mode on the 1Z, I have to max the volume to just to seem like its on a normal volume level, but when I play FLAC sound gets way louder.

I listen to Mahler on DSD. Comparing to the same 192khz recordings it has more dynamic! I assume Sony did this to allow more room for DSD; if it was set to same level it will be too loud and distort at volume peak

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #13,415 of 45,723

Better dynamic range lower volume , that's why hdtracks suck just boosted volume imo !

Aug 11, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #13,416 of 45,723
Better dynamic range lower volume , that's why hdtracks suck just boosted volume imo !

I unfortunately need to listen to things louder than most...oh well

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #13,418 of 45,723
1502484348067639679098.jpg
Screen at 1 in brightness , I got running for 4 days, so one day more than in 16

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #13,419 of 45,723
I had both the Sony made Kimber and the direct Kimber Axios here in the house to use with the Z1R and WM1Z. The difference is not inconsequential between the two with the Axios easily demonstrating its superiority. Actually the stock cable holds up quite well comparatively speaking vs. the Sony Kimber. I would say the people should either stick with the stock cable or jump straight to the Axios - some may find the Sony Kimber version to be more of a side step.

The Z1R continues to amaze me - its scalability is incredible. By scalability I refer to the ability to dramatically improve depending on the cables, and most importantly, the source which is used to drive it.

Coming from two channel it is the last part, the source used, which rings most important. It is commonly accepted wisdom in two channel land, at least where I hang out (flat earth UK brands such as Linn and Naim) that one should spend the bulk of their budget on the SOURCE. The smaller part of the budget goes towards the speakers. This was one of the prime selling points of the Linn LP12 turntable. Think about it - the music, the information, is contained in the vinyl grooves. If you do not maximize the equipment to ensure that you are extracting all there is to get from the grooves, getting all the music out, then the best speakers in the world will never be able to make things sound better - if you are leaving some of the music trapped in the grooves. Quite simply put the speakers cannot make out something that is not there. So it is useless to spend huge money on speakers - and less on the turntable. Spend your money on trying to get as much music as possible from out of the grooves.

Much in the same way things are identical when assembling a headphone system. One can have the best headphone available - a Utopia, a Stax, the Z1R - yet a Mojo is only capable of extracting a certain amount of information from the audio files, a Hugo even more, a WM1Z yet more, and finally some of the uber DAC's - DAVE, Linn DS etc. - which can extract ALL of the music there is in the files - music which lower DAC's such as a Mojo leave behind.

So - getting back to the point at hand - what impresses me about the Z1R is what kind of performance it gives me out of a Mojo - how said performance gets that much better with the WM1Z - and finally the dramatic leap which comes when using some of the uber DAC's.

The Z1R is capable of many things - its only limiting factors are the source used, and other ancillary components such as the cable etc.

So if people only hear the Z1R with the stock cable out of a Mojo (maybe even with MP3's instead of FLAC files) - then they are missing so much of what this headphone is capable of giving - and they should temper/qualify their opinions about its performance accordingly.

Interesting words... I have the Z1R and the stock cable with the WM1A and I’m considering upgrading the cable but I don’t want the 2 m lenght of the MUC-B20SB1 becouse it’s too much for my desk, I would like the MUC-B12SB1 that still doesn’t exists (I hope in October 2017 exists, one year after the MUC-B20SB1 release). Sony did the same in the past with the Kimber Kable for Z7 and PHA-3 in balanced, they released first the MUC-B20BL1 in October 2014 and then the MUC-B12BL1 in October 2015 (I owned both with the PHA-3 and MDR-Z7).

I have asked for the AXIOS 1,2 m and 4,4 balanced in my country and is near 800 eur, much more than the Sony Kimber Kable (250 eur). In your opinion, if the balanced stock cable is in the position 1, and the Axios CU 16 cords in position 10, where did you put the Sony Kimber Kable in terms of SQ?? I think is more confortable the AXIOS cable becouse the Sony Kimber Kable has certain memory in the cable. But I love the conectors of the Sony Kimber Kable, both, the 90 degree of the 4,4 conector and the headphones conectors. I don’t like the wooden conectors of the Axios. In other the other side, the AXIOS doesn’t need splitter and that’s good and beauty.

I have done some hearings comparing the Z1R with the stock cable in balanced against my XBA-Z5 with balanced Sony Kimber Kable MUC-M12SB1 and the Z5 is very very detailed, now I don’t know if I love more this detailed sound or the sound of the Z1R. Maybe I would like a bit more detailed the Z1R in highs frecuecny (maybe I’m very used to the Z5 and his peak in high frecuencies?). I have heard some songs in the WM1A with one of my pair of Z5 and the balanced MUC-M12SB1 against another pair of Z5 and the Sony MUC-M12SM1 cable (not balanced) and the sound is night and day. The sound of the Z5 in balanced with Kimber Kable is superb for me, the other sound is good but it doesn’t bright, it’s more “normal or standard”. I don’t know how much of this improvement is for the balanced connection or for the Kimber Kable.

Thanks!

Aug 11, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #13,421 of 45,723
In your opinion, if the balanced stock cable is in the position 1, and the Axios CU 16 cords in position 10, where did you put the Sony Kimber Kable in terms of SQ?? I think is more confortable the AXIOS cable becouse the Sony Kimber Kable has certain memory in the cable. But I love the conectors of the Sony Kimber Kable, both, the 90 degree of the 4,4 conector and the headphones conectors. I don’t like the wooden conectors of the Axios. In other the other side, the AXIOS doesn’t need splitter and that’s good and beauty.

Thanks!

Hmmm... imho I think the plastic connectors on the Sony Kimber are on the cheap side. I do however like the 90 degree 4.4 connector. The Axios connectors, imho, exude quality.

On a scale of 1-10 with the Axios being a 10 - completely off the cuff however I would say the Sony Kimber is a 4 with the Axios a 10.
With that said I do not know if I would spend the money on the Sony Kimber and might consider remaining with the stock cable. It is quite good and what Sony achieves with silver plating over copper is extremely interesting (I have only experienced Axios silver/copper cables - not coated but 8 strands of silver and 8 strands of copper - and was not a fan instead preferring the all copper Axis).
If I am going to spend money on an after market cable I am not looking for an incremental uprade - I want something more concrete and substantial.

Interestingly enough I will be confronted with a new comparison of the stock Sony cable vs. the Sony Kimber once again. While my primary use for the Z1R will be portable out of my 1Z there are times (very few) when I would connect it to the amplifier in my 2 channel system (via 1/4") when I want an alternative to the Utopia. Amazon had a warehouse deal on the 3m Sony Kimber 1/4" for $150. I am burning it in now and will then do a comparison between it and the stock 3m copper/silver plated 1/4"

Aug 11, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #13,422 of 45,723
Z1R cables is great but upgraded cables would do better, if you know what you are doing. If regular Kimber can be comparable to the stock Z1R cables then I don't even want to think about it, I do know for a fact that Z1R cables is better than stock Z7 but similar build.

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #13,423 of 45,723
Z1R cables is great but upgraded cables would do better, if you know what you are doing. If regular Kimber can be comparable to the stock Z1R cables then I don't even want to think about it, I do know for a fact that Z1R cables is better than stock Z7 but similar build.

Ok so to answer your question earlier, I am listening to high gain output on balanced and using Senn HD800S I have to near max it out on any DSD. Ok so heres the big thing that I am freaking out about right now, so when I had the WM1A I never had the chance to use Balanced Output on it I just used reg 3.5mm, now that I have the 1Z and I am using only Balanced right now, I hear "click switch" sounds when I change an album or the screen shuts off. Now let me clarify the the "click switch" happens if lets say I change from DSD album to a FLAC and again if I go back to DSD, am I supposed to be hearing these click sounds? (I dont have the headphones on and i know its coming from the 1Z)

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #13,424 of 45,723
When I switch to FLAC it makes 2 clicks, when DSD 1 click, im concerned about the clicky as you can tell and need someone that owns a 1Z to let me know if this is normal?

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #13,425 of 45,723
Ok so to answer your question earlier, I am listening to high gain output on balanced and using Senn HD800S I have to near max it out on any DSD. Ok so heres the big thing that I am freaking out about right now, so when I had the WM1A I never had the chance to use Balanced Output on it I just used reg 3.5mm, now that I have the 1Z and I am using only Balanced right now, I hear "click switch" sounds when I change an album or the screen shuts off. Now let me clarify the the "click switch" happens if lets say I change from DSD album to a FLAC and again if I go back to DSD, am I supposed to be hearing these click sounds? (I dont have the headphones on and i know its coming from the 1Z)
That is normal, and that is another unique thing about Sony engineering aspect.

1/. The click sound is the relay switching
2/. Why do you need the relay ? So that when you stopped listening, the relay is opened and your headphones is automatically disconnected by the player, so you are safe to remove it and plug in another. Plugging and unplugging a powered on amplifier will damage the headphones. In case of the DAP, it is always on, so when it has enough power, it will damage the coil wires, which in turn will leave you a dead driver. Never plug/unplug a powered amp/dap
3/. It clicks often whenever the sample rate is changed, and that is also normal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back