SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #12,151 of 45,723
Good Morning from Vietnam. I will now go through the thread and learn from the beginning. You see here in Saigon being an expat I mostly have to buy blind. It suits me, impulse buyer at large. This is my very first DAP, I really bought it because I will be coming back to LA in June and I wanted an all in one kind of gear. I can see now I need the 4.4 to all my good 3.5 cable adapter. I see Moon has one for $125, I have the silver dragon. Is this a good enough choice? PM me folks with websites that sell this plag with Thanks. Cheers mate.

Adding a 4.4mm adaptor to a 3.5mm single-end plug is a no-no

Even if you see a 3.5mm to 4.4mm adaptor it is meant to be for use with 3.5mm balanced plug which is not all that common

May 17, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #12,152 of 45,723
I kinda prefer the AK380 design with an excellent SE and useless balanced :) It saves the hassle to change cables, especially since Sony's using a different type of plug (regardless if it's better).

I kinda Lol at your "preference" :darthsmile: but agree completely with you that the AK380 got an excellent SE and useless balanced :beerchug:. As I've said in the AK380 thread, the AK amp seems to me to have been designed SOLELY to provide the 380 with a proper balanced output and nothing else. If used alone I'd prefer the 380 SE over balanced anyday.

Why can't they just design a socket to take and recognise 3.5mm SE and balanced plugs all in one just to make lives easier.......

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #12,153 of 45,723
Good Morning from Vietnam. I will now go through the thread and learn from the beginning. You see here in Saigon being an expat I mostly have to buy blind. It suits me, impulse buyer at large. This is my very first DAP, I really bought it because I will be coming back to LA in June and I wanted an all in one kind of gear. I can see now I need the 4.4 to all my good 3.5 cable adapter. I see Moon has one for $125, I have the silver dragon. Is this a good enough choice? PM me folks with websites that sell this plag with Thanks. Cheers mate.

I assume that your existing cables are already balanced terminated in 3.5 trrs. If they are not already balanced you can't use an adaptor to 4.4

May 18, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #12,154 of 45,723
So I just received my WM1Z, it has 140 hours on it I believe. I’ll put it on to burn later after I transferred some more tracks.

The Sony is quite different than I expected. Starting with the LPG, its signature consists of a bump around the sub- and mid-bass giving it a boosted and full-bodied low-end, followed by a bump at the lower midrange starting at 500 KHz up until 2-3 KHz, and then a treble peak around 9-10 KHz. Accordingly, the midrange is forward and dense. It creates a solid, powerful vocal presentation, and generally speaking, the LPG is quite upfront. The mid-upper treble peak in turn gives it its brighter than neutral tone, and that extra bit of sparkle, clarity and excitement.

The WM1Z’s bass is more neutral by comparison, and doesn’t seem to be particularly enhanced. Especially the upper bass is slightly laidback, in order to create a cleaner stage. However, this also takes some warmth as well as depth from the presentation. In contrast to the LPG, it has its main energy around an upper midrange peak at 6 KHz, followed by a slightly attenuated treble to balance the tone and maintain its naturalness. But its not necessarily a dip in the treble, it’s closer to linear. The 6 Khz peak is tuned to put more emphasis on the articulation of notes, and effectively increase its resolution. Both the instrument and vocal size is fairly large, creating a nicely full presentation. But as @EagleWings mentioned, while larger in size compared to the LPG, vocals aren’t denser. The LPG’s lower midrange is more prominent, giving it that bit of extra vocal power and solidity. The 1Z’s vocals in turn are centered on articulation, although it’s nevertheless nicely balanced throughout the vocal range. In addition, the tone of the midrange is quite accurate, and overall its pace seems to be very good.

As is, I wouldn’t necessarily classify it as a particularly smooth player due to its upper midrange emphasis, at least not as a defining trait; but I’m counting on it to settle in a bit more after burn. I was mainly expecting it to be warmer and more forward; more emotional perhaps. But these expectations were shaped relative to my AK, which is bassier, and accordingly, warmer, thicker and smoother. I would say the Sony is a mildly warm player with a focus on a realistic portrayal of tone. It's a beautiful player to see and hold btw, despite that its quite heavy. But weight doesn't bother me much.

These impressions are based on SE; I’m going to have to wait a short while for some balanced cables unfortunately, but I’ll let it burn for a while and come back to it in a bit.

IMAG0921.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #12,156 of 45,723
After using the WM1A for a couple of months bit the bullet and bought the 1Z !! I much prefer the sound signature of the 1Z and can't wait to start the burn in process over the weekend. What's been the average burn in time generally? Is it around 200 hours given the 1Z capacitors?

May 18, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #12,157 of 45,723
Curious as there is as menu screen to set the date and time however once set I do not see the time appear anywhere

Does anyone have the time display on the screen?

May 18, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #12,159 of 45,723
Curious as there is as menu screen to set the date and time however once set I do not see the time appear anywhere

Does anyone have the time display on the screen?
Funny you asked that even I was wondering what was the point I couldn't see time anywhere

May 18, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #12,160 of 45,723
Very thankful for all your help. Wish I look before I leaped. This is my first DAP so it's a learning process, which I enjoy. I did go through about 40 pages but I am only up to the 1st of January posts from this year. I did get both the adapter from Moon then realized after reading this thread it might be not the ultimate way to go. Right away I called the HK based Labkable and ordered the full monty 4.4 to 2.5 cable to fit the PM2 and the HEX and that Nighthawk which I only watch movies with. Now the sound, wonderful after 35 hours in. The HD800s on SE just don't play classical music you are good to go. On the 4.4 side with the Z1R now the treble is still a little sharp but I think with a few more days that should calm down. Next week I should have all the new cables coming to Saigon to fit all the cans I have. Cheers friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back