SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #10,592 of 45,723
Mar 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #10,593 of 45,723
My mind is starting to get fried with all of these cable/adapter combinations

Are there any "commercially" available headphone cables terminated for the Utopia on one end and the proprietary 4.4mm balanced plug on the other end?

AND

if someone wanted to test out how the Utopia does with the WM1A - but does not have a balanced cable as above - would they get a could idea of the WM1A's capabilities using the stock Utopia cable with a 3.5mm adapter on the end going into the WM1A?

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #10,594 of 45,723

Are there any "commercially" available headphone cables terminated for the Utopia on one end and the proprietary 4.4mm balanced plug on the other end?

AND

if someone wanted to test out how the Utopia does with the WM1A - but does not have a balanced cable as above - would they get a could idea of the WM1A's capabilities using the stock Utopia cable with a 3.5mm adapter on the end going into the WM1A?

If your cable is not already balanced there is no way to use the balanced output from the WM players with an adapter.

The 4.4mm is not a proprietary plug but a JEITA standard, Sony are just the first to use it.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #10,595 of 45,723

No I understand that an unbalanced cable cannot be converted.

I am referring to testing out the WM1A in unbalanced mode just to get a "feel" for the flavor of the player and how it would do with the Utopia.
After that, if happy, I would have a balanced cable made up.

I do know that the 4.4 is not Sony proprietary.  Curious to know if someone like Kimber already has 4.4 plugs  - I just received an Axios balanced cable for my Utopia so they could make up a XLR>4.4 dongle

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #10,598 of 45,723

I am referring to testing out the WM1A in unbalanced mode just to get a "feel" for the flavor of the player and how it would do with the Utopia.
After that, if happy, I would have a balanced cable made up.

I would say no; the difference between SE and balanced is distinct enough, to my ears at least, to result in two different "flavors", to use your words.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #10,599 of 45,723

I would say no; the difference between SE and balanced is distinct enough, to my ears at least, to result in two different "flavors", to use your words.

Thanks.  So basically one needs to first have a custom made cable to determine if the WM1A passes the test.

Not so easy to evaluate it then!

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #10,600 of 45,723

Thanks.  So basically one needs to first have a custom made cable to determine if the WM1A passes the test.

Not so easy to evaluate it then!

Not necessarily; Of course your ears are always the best to make a final decision IMO, but I believe there are at least a few in the discussion here who have the Utopia and balanced connection to the player, and could share some feedback re: that setup.  I don't have, or have heard the Utopia.  I was merely referring to my experience with the same headphone across both SE and balanced connection... 
smile_phones.gif

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #10,601 of 45,723
Hi,

I've just picked up one up from amazon warehouse. Love the sound but its not powerful enough to drive all my headphones with the EU volume cap on etc. I've had a quick look and wouldn't really know where to start! Would you be able to talk me through this? 

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #10,602 of 45,723
Hi,

I've just picked up one up from amazon warehouse. Love the sound but its not powerful enough to drive all my headphones with the EU volume cap on etc. I've had a quick look and wouldn't really know where to start! Would you be able to talk me through this? 

Just follow the instructions here

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool#Changing_destination_settings_and_sound_pressure_regulation

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #10,603 of 45,723

AND

I know moon audio sells Utopia/4.4M cables and so does lqicables on eBay (not sure how good they are though).

Might want to PM Whitgir on Head-Fi. He has tried his Utopia with the WM1Z using the 4.4M cables

Also not really sure if the SE ended from WM1A/WM1Z will be good enough to drive the Utopia. But does not hurt to try it out with the 3.5mm adopter first.

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #10,605 of 45,723
100 hours single ended reached, listening 3-4 hours every night and running IsoTek burn in cd during the day. Will start on the 4.4mm tomorrow when I get home to the waiting Z1R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back