SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #5,821 of 45,723
Does a standard 3.5 cable can become a 4.4mm balanced with adaptor or it will only work with balanced cable at the beginning

I believe your question is whether an IEM cable with a TRS plug can be connected via an adapter cable to the 4.4mm balanced output from the WM1A/Z ?

Depending on what your are trying to achieve:
1. Will this make it balanced output from the DAP to the earphone?  I believe the answer is no, as balanced output needs 4 wires for L+ / L- and R+ / R- .  Your TRS plug to the IEM only has 3 wires, L+, R+, and combined L-/R-
So there does not seem to be any point in doing this, as you are not getting the benefits of a balanced out.  
2. Would you get a signal to the earphones?  Probably, but take that as a guess, as I have no practical experience doing this.  
Also,  you would need to get the adapter configured for: Male 4.4mm TRRS to female 3.5mm TRS, which means you could not use this adapter for a 3.5mm TRRS for balanced, but would need to get another adapter made for the 3.5mm TRRS 
The extra work and cost make this super unattractive.  The only logical use of an adapter is to convert an IEM cable that is already 3.5mm TRRS to 4.4mm TRRS, thus being able to use the 4.4mm balanced output without rewiring the IEM cable to a 4.4mm plug.

2. Would using the 4.4mm from 3.5mm TRS see extra power delivered from the 4.4mm output?  Would the balanced output drive the higher power into the TRS connection, even with the ground signals combined?  Don't know what would happen, and I suspect this is an area that is not worth investigating. Somebody else with knowledge experience would need to pipe in, if this is an area of interest to people.

Added some nice schematics from:
https://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide 
(see the site for much more details)

TRS
unbalancedamp2.gif

TRRS Balanced
balancedamp.gif

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #5,822 of 45,723
I want to buy a nice cable for my 2pins iem and was wondering which type to take if I want to us it on the Sony with balanced output with an adapter. The thing is my current daps are shozy alien hm 901s and mojo. So buying a 3.5mm balanced cable and an adapter would be OK if I understand well. Will then need 2 adaptors for 3.5 ttrs to 3.5 se and 3.5ttrs to 4.4 balanced if it exists
Don't know if it's a good choice

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #5,823 of 45,723
I want to buy a nice cable for my 2pins iem and was wondering which type to take if I want to us it on the Sony with balanced output with an adapter. The thing is my current daps are shozy alien hm 901s and mojo. So buying a 3.5mm balanced cable and an adapter would be OK if I understand well. Will then need 2 adaptors for 3.5 ttrs to 3.5 se and 3.5ttrs to 4.4 balanced if it exists

Sorry, read your needs again.  You want to keep TRS for the other DAPs.  I think you need a new cable just for the Sony 4.4mm.

Trying to use the same cable for a DAP needing TRS, and another DAP needing TRRS, is not possible.
Unless you really want to go to the trouble of reterminating the current cables to 3.5mm TRRS plug, then getting 2 adapters,
- adapter 1: 3.5mm female TRRS to 3.5mm male TRS for use on the DAPs that only have TRS out
- adapter 2: 3.5mm female TRRS to 4.4mm TRRS balanced, for use on DAPs that have 4.4mm balanced out

********************************************************************************************
Only need female 3.5mm TRRS to male 4.4mm TRRS.  Not worth the effort to convert 3.5mm TRS.  

Other options are to:
1. reterminate the 3.5mm TRS plug with a 3.5mm TRRS
  a. add the adapter cable.  But this only makes sense if you have other DAPs that could use 3.5mm TRRS.  As you are talking about a 3.5mm TRS cable, then you do not have a need for a 3.5mm TRRS, so use option 2
2. reterminate the 3.5mm TRS plug with a 4.4mm balanced plug.
3. get a new cable, terminated with 4.4mm balanced.  Doing away with the extra adapter cable should be the best option.  Simpler, straight path connection.

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #5,824 of 45,723

If you already have a 3.5mm TRRS balance cable (HiFiman/Sony pin configuration) then the most economical way is just get the Brise Audio converter cable.
http://briseaudio.jp/store/product/portable/upg001convto544.html

This means you can use the same cable for both 3.5mm and 4.4mm on the Walkman without changing and just use the converter plug.

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #5,826 of 45,723
maybe you can get a small camera bag like the one I got for my alpha 5000

Yah, that is a good idea - definitely need to shop around... I was hoping one of the Bellroy cases would fit the 1z plus accessories...

So hard to window shop stuff like this anymore, with most inventory being online only.

Dec 18, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #5,827 of 45,723
It depends how hard you want the case. I use a Moleskine Journey Hard Pouch Small, it fits the WM1Z with a care, and small iems. Not sure it would fit the Layla.

https://store.moleskine.com/usa/en-us/Accessories/Hard-Pouches/C245

Ah, thank you! I'll definitely check that out... I just need something to protect the 1z when it is in my backpack - I'm usually careful about not slamming my backpack or gear, but with frequent travel you always have to worry about the people around you, so looking for something that will absorb shocks.

Dec 18, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #5,828 of 45,723

If you already have a 3.5mm TRRS balance cable (HiFiman/Sony pin configuration) then the most economical way is just get the Brise Audio converter cable.

This means you can use the same cable for both 3.5mm and 4.4mm on the Walkman without changing and just use the converter plug.

yep I'll do that for the moment, just have to find a way to buy this converter and ship it to france
Thanks @ttt123 for your help and you explaination.

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #5,829 of 45,723

Hi Nanaholic

Can you please recommend a store in Tokyo / Osaka where I can purchase this converter cable. I will be in Japan in March and would like to get it in person. Buying online is a bit of process as I do not understand the Japanese.

Thanks much

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #5,830 of 45,723
Is there any online store to get the tourist version without volume cap? Thanks!

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #5,831 of 45,723
Good news for those who have Toxic Cables, Frank just confirm me that he will have 4.4mm plugs within the next weeks.
The plugs will only be used to reterminate Toxic Cables, or to be used on new orders

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #5,832 of 45,723

Hi Nanaholic

Can you please recommend a store in Tokyo / Osaka where I can purchase this converter cable. I will be in Japan in March and would like to get it in person. Buying online is a bit of process as I do not understand the Japanese.

Thanks much

If you look at the front page Brise Audio seems to be taking direct orders from outside of Japan now (http://briseaudio.jp/index.html).  Shoot them an email and see what they can do for you.

Else I think e-earphone at Akiba would be the best bet, though they may not necessarily stock that particular converter cable.

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #5,833 of 45,723
Well I tried at the above Brise audio link and even though they say they will sell worldwide but their contact form are mostly in Japanese and after filling out the info, it does not send.

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #5,834 of 45,723
Well I tried at the above Brise audio link and even though they say they will sell worldwide but their contact form are mostly in Japanese and after filling out the info, it does not send.

If you really can't wait then use a proxy buying service then, like Buyee.  

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #5,835 of 45,723
I just noticed jaben.com.my has the MUC-M12SB1 so I grabbed one since they are at a great price.  I got it to use with my incoming Fitear Togo 334, so I can grab one of the fitear to mmcx adapters around to use these or ideally find someone to re-terminate them to fitear connectors.  Anyone know anywhere who offers to re-terminate cables, as this isn't something I could do myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back