SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #4,022 of 45,723
Nov 8, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #4,023 of 45,723
Going off the capped topic slightly , it's the first Walkman I've had since the cassette version :grinning:, some of you will obviously know this but can you get line out from the 1A/1Z with the bottom / docking connector and any links to leads would be appreciated, might just be a nice match with my RSA blackbird.

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #4,025 of 45,723
Going off the capped topic slightly , it's the first Walkman I've had since the cassette version :grinning:, some of you will obviously know this but can you get line out from the 1A/1Z with the bottom / docking connector and any links to leads would be appreciated, might just be a nice match with my RSA blackbird.

No. Line out is removed from WM1 due to design constraints. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #4,028 of 45,723
I have tried once an EU capped WM1Z.
Unfortunately on SE, power is weak, I plugged even my low impedance earphones, I have to set the volume at max.
On balanced, I tried their new headphone, not enough power, too congested. Btw, their new desktop Dac/amp sounds very analytical, that pairs better with their new cans.
I was told balanced output is 6x more powerful. And it was no more LO via usb, only as transport via usb.
The main asset would be its balanced output which is very well built inside but you'll need 4.4mm plugs.
Even the sony official advised me to prefer the non-capped version from Asia to have more power.

Besides, on SQ, the WM1Z is one the best soundings daps I've ever heard (901s+balanced card, LPG, plenue S, qp1r, ak380), it has a wide, detailed, delicate sound and tubesque warmth.
I think it's the new king of daps for balanced iems :D with its long-lasting playtime, micro sd slot, UI and connectivity.
But you need a huge pocket and the wallet has to be full and it's not my case.

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #4,029 of 45,723
I have tried once an EU capped WM1Z.
Unfortunately on SE, power is weak, I plugged even my low impedance earphones, I have to set the volume at max.
On balanced, I tried their new headphone, not enough power, too congested. Btw, their new desktop Dac/amp sounds very analytical, that pairs better with their new cans.
I was told balanced output is 6x more powerful. And it was no more LO via usb, only as transport via usb.
The main asset would be its balanced output which is very well built inside but you'll need 4.4mm plugs.
Even the sony official advised me to prefer the non-capped version from Asia to have more power.

Besides, on SQ, the WM1Z is one the best soundings daps I've ever heard (901s+balanced card, LPG, plenue S, qp1r, ak380), it has a wide, detailed, delicate sound and tubesque warmth.
I think it's the new king of daps for balanced iems :D with its long-lasting playtime, micro sd slot, UI and connectivity.
But you need a huge pocket and the wallet has to be full and it's not my case.
So if your dap didnt have the volume cap it would be perfect ?

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #4,030 of 45,723
Well, if my wallet was full of cash, that would be the one I'd buy purely on my SQ preference and as a standalone dap, although for my use the weight and no LO would be an issue for me. But I've never tried AK380+amp..

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #4,031 of 45,723
There are lots of negative things about the UE version...but two things in the UE are better , to keep us from being deaf (those who are not yet), and if the normal batery last 30 hours the batery on the UE version should last 60 or 90 hours:sweat_smile:

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #4,032 of 45,723
On the subject of volume on the WM1A, there is a setting for High Gain.  In Settings/Output Settings/High Gain Output: You can select Stereo Mini Jack and Balanced Standard Jack to have High Gain.  I was trying the WM1A in the store, comparing with the WM1Z, and noticed that I was going to volume of 110 on the WM1A, while the WM1Z was only around 70, so checked the settings, and the WM1Z had the High Gain on, and the WM1A had the High Gain off.  So I turned it on, and the two were then more similar in volume setting.

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #4,033 of 45,723
On the subject of volume on the WM1A, there is a setting for High Gain.  In Settings/Output Settings/High Gain Output: You can select Stereo Mini Jack and Balanced Standard Jack to have High Gain.  I was trying the WM1A in the store, comparing with the WM1Z, and noticed that I was going to volume of 110 on the WM1A, while the WM1Z was only around 70, so checked the settings, and the WM1Z had the High Gain on, and the WM1A had the High Gain off.  So I turned it on, and the two were then more similar in volume setting.

I believe EU capped Walkman do not have this option.

Direct quote : high-gain feature.

(The menu item is only available on models sold in certain countries or areas.)

http://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1/v1/en/contents/TP0001154052.html

Look around for it in here

http://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1/v1/en/contents/TP0001154740.html

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #4,034 of 45,723
HI All;

Here are my thoughts on the 1A

Here it is charging in the cradle I bought for my ZX2, it isn't exactly a secure fit but is does charge, although I never tested the digital output.

Once charged, I first tried it with my Noble K10s, fitted with Black Widow silver cables from Toxic cables, terminated in a TRRS plug; I had formatted 2 micro sd cards with identical tracks and put one in each player; the first track was "Breathe (2AM)" by Anna Nalick; in all honesty my aging ears couldn't ascertain any difference between the two machines. Then I listened to Springsteen's "Backstreets" and the drums and sax were certainly more forward on the 1A; I was impressed and decided to switch the cables from the K10s to my Fostex TH 900 Mk IIs and the same track was suddenly dull and almost distant, so I turned up the volume and after two presses on the + button, I heard a beep and the warning flashed on to the screen. I dismissed it, but even at full volume I hated the sound. So I switched to the ZX2 (US spec) and immediately it sounded better, and I made the decision to return the unit, after having had it for less than 10 hours.

So, yes, I didn't give it time to 'burn in' but, whilst the sound signature of the ZX2 changed after a while, the volume never did; so I don't feel that I was too hasty.

I will be in the US soon & will pick up a US (uncapped) 1Z when I am there.

Good Luck
James

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #4,035 of 45,723
I believe EU capped Walkman do not have this option.

Direct quote : high-gain feature.

(The menu item is only available on models sold in certain countries or areas.)

http://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1/v1/en/contents/TP0001154052.html

Look around for it in here

http://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1/v1/en/contents/TP0001154740.html

Actually on the EU version I've tried, there was 2 settings of gain, it was set on the higher gain, on SE and max volume, just enough to enjoy sensitive and low impedance earphones. That's why SE on EU version would be kind of useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back