SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #3,106 of 45,723
  http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/1016/Sony_NW_WM1Z_Review.htm

Finally!

Great write up as always from Steven

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #3,107 of 45,723
  http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/1016/Sony_NW_WM1Z_Review.htm

Finally!

I appreciate that the reviewer offered some honest criticism when the new Sony fell short. I guess that I'll let the door open that there may be some improvement with break in, but a used zx2 is looking pretty attractive right now. 
wink.gif
  And yeah yeah, there is always some potential for the balanced output to improve the sonics also. 

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #3,108 of 45,723
I don't know if I should not be excited or to be.....either ways thanks Steve for the impressions and the unit is still not burned in. However the attack and decay don't look too good
biggrin.gif

A most humble thanks and did my listening the LAST day of CanJam Denver hoping they'd have more hours. The rep did say any time you flash/reset the unit it resets the hours used on the settings menu, so if they had the unit in pre-production firmware yet flashed to final production firmware 1.0... yet who knows. The Sony rep said he's going to be sending me both new units (jumping for joy) and my bank account is ready 
etysmile.gif

Great write up as always from Steven

Thanks CraftyClown. Truly do appreciate it. FYI guys, i tend to approach reviewing more like an 'audio scientist' than a 'music lover' in some ways. Time was sooo limited, yet look fwd to having them here so there's more time for fun play  
ksc75smile.gif
  All work and no play make Steven....  

I appreciate that the reviewer offered some honest criticism when the new Sony fell short. I guess that I'll let the door open that there may be some improvement with break in, but a used zx2 is looking pretty attractive right now. 
wink.gif
  And yeah yeah, there is always some potential for the balanced output to improve the sonics also. 

Agreed, the used Sony NW-ZX2 market should be very interesting indeed. Especially for those who love streaming, using their NAS, or have a fave Android app to organize and playback their music files.

Well guys, back to work as have the continue posting the Audio Engineering Society show report, get my RMAF / CanJam stuff going, plus waiting on Dave Hansen and Kemper Holt to send me their CanJam / RMAF reports and pics.

What is it i typed earlier? Oh yeah....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lQ_MjU4QHw

PS: The vid above is prob what my wife and Muse Heather thinks of me  
wink.gif

PPS: Maurice Washignton is going to send me CanJam London coverage to be posted soon. Hired someone and paid them to do it yet, well, they got paid and sent me Jack sh--.  So we're fixing that situation (thanks Maurice!!!).

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #3,111 of 45,723
Very good impressions given the non burnt unit and lack of 4.4mm balanced cable as of yet.Just curious when you reviewed the ZX2 did you disable the sound adjustment(thus no access to any eq)on apps menu or were you just using the k10 in trrs mode?

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #3,112 of 45,723
  Very good impressions given the non burnt unit and lack of 4.4mm balanced cable as of yet.Just curious when you reviewed the ZX2 did you disable the sound adjustment(thus no access to any eq)on apps menu or were you just using the k10 in trrs mode?

Excellent question and did 'direct' on both and also with some EQ on both units depending on what i was analyzing. Used the Sony stock app on the ZX2 and not one of the two fave Android apps for library sort / sound customization. Noble K10 were TRRS so same cable both units as the new Sony also handles TRRS on the 'unbalanced' 3.5mm jack. Wish i had a 3.5mm to 4.4mm jack adapter yet no one had one, and Kimber Kable had a 4.4mm cable, yet was for a different end connection and not 2-pin/Noble.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #3,113 of 45,723

Thanks CraftyClown. Truly do appreciate it. FYI guys, i tend to approach reviewing more like an 'audio scientist' than a 'music lover' in some ways. Time was sooo limited, yet look fwd to having them here so there's more time for fun play  
ksc75smile.gif

PPS: Maurice Washignton is going to send me CanJam London coverage to be posted soon. Hired someone and paid them to do it yet, well, they got paid and sent me Jack sh--.  So we're fixing that situation (thanks Maurice!!!).

No problem mate. It was actually your review for the Questyle QP1R that convinced me to jump ship from the ZX2 camp. Haven't looked back once 
biggrin.gif

Regarding the CanJam video let me know if you need any assistance with this. I actually filmed and edited the official 2014 event video (I run a video production company)

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #3,114 of 45,723

No problem mate. It was actually your review for the Questyle QP1R that convinced me to jump ship from the ZX2 camp. Haven't looked back once 
biggrin.gif

Regarding the CanJam video let me know if you need any assistance with this. I actually filmed and edited the official 2014 event video (I run a video production company)

We'e doing text / pics, yet would be waaaaay cool to also embed a video via YouTube. FYI: Have pro vid via TriCaster upper line unit, Canon XA-25 field cams, Sony wireless pro mics, etc. here, plus the Sony A7rii does 4K yet haven't done much with it for video. Only so many hours in the day and all that so ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated mate. You can post vids to YouTube for me or send me the 4:4:4 4:4:2, etc files via Dropbox/whatever and i can easily add entry/exit vid segment and lower thirds.

Here's something i did with Chad Kassem of Acoustic Sounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVc66YWZBTo&list=PLyIkQ9sikmHxbwnX_YfXf5L3qLMCvnQjz

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #3,116 of 45,723

We'e doing text / pics, yet would be waaaaay cool to also embed a video via YouTube. FYI: Have pro vid via TriCaster upper line unit, Canon XA-25 field cams, Sony wireless pro mics, etc. here, plus the Sony A7rii does 4K yet haven't done much with it for video. Only so many hours in the day and all that so ALL help is ALWAYS appreciated mate. You can post vids to YouTube for me or send me the 4:4:4 4:4:2, etc files via Dropbox/whatever and i can easily add entry/exit vid segment and lower thirds.

Ah sorry, didn't explain myself properly. I was offering help with the video editing if you needed any. I wasn't actually at this years event, so I have no footage of my own.

Genuinely sorry to hear someone stiffed you after you'd paid them. Not cool!

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #3,117 of 45,723

Ah sorry, didn't explain myself properly. I was offering help with the video editing if you needed any. I wasn't actually at this years event, so I have no footage of my own.

Genuinely sorry to hear someone stiffed you after you'd paid them. Not cool!

Ahhh thanks for the VERY kind offer. And yeah, someone stiff me AND CanJam/Head-Fi. He seemed so very enthusiastic too. He also reserved some gear and got fitted for custom IEMs so i had to quickly contact manufacturers to have them cancel sending him anything.

Can o' worms stuff, it happens and so very disappointed that a Head-FI'er $crewed us all. Good news is that we're 'fixing it' thanks to Maurice Washington.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #3,118 of 45,723

Ahhh thanks for the VERY kind offer. And yeah, someone stiff me AND CanJam/Head-Fi. He seemed so very enthusiastic too. He also reserved some gear and got fitted for custom IEMs so i had to quickly contact manufacturers to have them cancel sending him anything.

Can o' worms stuff, it happens and so very disappointed that a Head-FI'er $crewed us all. Good news is that we're 'fixing it' thanks to Maurice Washington.

Glad to hear it's sorted. 

@moedawg140 to the rescue 
biggrin.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #3,120 of 45,723

However, even if I was not a fan of the Hugo sound, I don't think any DAP can beat it technically at this stage. I find even the Mojo beats most DAPs, so the Hugo...

I have to agree with you on this one. Hugo is to big to fit in a pocket. But the fact that I cannot find a reasonably-sized transport for the mojo is frustrating. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back