SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #14,688 of 45,723
Hi Matrix, I am in Perth, where are you located? :)

Hi, rtjoa

I am in Vilnius, Lithuania. By virtual audiophile emigration to Australia I meant that I decapped my WM1A from EU version to Australian. Please believe me, Australian sounds much better and louder. :)
By the way, maybe good idea to emigrate in flesh - getting colder here in Lithuania, despite all that global warming. :)

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #14,689 of 45,723
Can somebody please share their experience with remote control for WM1? Worth to buy?

What can I say - it works! If you want to leave your DAP to one side its great. Similarly, if you want to leave your DAP in your pocket or bag - its great. However, only basic controls are available, but as long as you are happy with these limitations its worthwhile.

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #14,690 of 45,723
Hi, rtjoa

I am in Vilnius, Lithuania. By virtual audiophile emigration to Australia I meant that I decapped my WM1A from EU version to Australian. Please believe me, Australian sounds much better and louder. :)
By the way, maybe good idea to emigrate in flesh - getting colder here in Lithuania, despite all that global warming. :)
Ups I didnt read it properly :grin:. That's what happen when reading forum at 3AM :L3000:

Sep 23, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #14,691 of 45,723
Can somebody please share their experience with remote control for WM1? Worth to buy?
I can't live without the remote after i had it.

My WM1A is set to All Songs + random.
So depends on mood i will skip songs.

I had finished 2 battery since i bought it. I am on 3rd remote battery.

Sep 23, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #14,693 of 45,723
Recommended ear tip the new spinfit twin blade, never could get the right seal with the original ones but these are on point the isolation is that good I've dropped around 15 clicks on average. 15061544431041205923723.jpg

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #14,694 of 45,723
Hi guys
I must say balanced output with 1A just sucks , i have experienced terrible background hum , also when i play to dsd files i get pop noise every each time i scrolling or changing a track , second thing is another pop / crackling noise when i change files formats for example from dsd to flac or flac to dsd or frequency is changing it happen even on both outputs !!! Last issue always appear when changing volume level pop sound each time i click on volume button , very weird is that only can hear this between 0-50 , then 50-70 pop sound while channing volume doesn’t exist at all , and the. back on 70-120 What , what is wrong wih that device ....

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #14,695 of 45,723
Hi guys
I must say balanced output with 1A just sucks , i have experienced terrible background hum , also when i play to dsd files i get pop noise every each time i scrolling or changing a track , second thing is another pop / crackling noise when i change files formats for example from dsd to flac or flac to dsd or frequency is changing it happen even on both outputs !!! Last issue always appear when changing volume level pop sound each time i click on volume button , very weird is that only can hear this between 0-50 , then 50-70 pop sound while channing volume doesn’t exist at all , and the. back on 70-120 What , what is wrong wih that device ....

Sounds like a faulty unit. The pop you get between flac and dsd is not actualle changing fileformat but happens when you change between the 2 clocks so between multiples of 44 or 48

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #14,696 of 45,723
Hi guys

What headphones / earphones are You getting those issues on?

I'm getting low clicks while changing volume over 70 but audible only when music paused. Also getting clicks when changing format / clock.

MDR-EX1000 and SE

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #14,697 of 45,723
Hi guys

My 1A and 1Z behave exactly the same as you are experiencing. I can hear each volume level click while wearing sensitive phones. In addition to the audible mechanical sound of the relay clicking, I also hear an electrical click every time the relay activates. I cannot hear any of this with the HD800S's, but it's obvious with the SE846. I have solved the relay clicking problem by converting all my music to 48/192 FLAC. The volume adjust click I just live with.

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #14,698 of 45,723
Sounds like a faulty unit. The pop you get between flac and dsd is not actualle changing fileformat but happens when you change between the 2 clocks so between multiples of 44 or 48
I don’t think so , if other people have a same experience . It’s really shame that expensive device behaves so odd .... Also same here i haven’t got any hum or pop / crack sound with my HD800 ( except balanced ) , even HD800 on balanced behaves same as other my iems ... I’m currently on Rose BR5 mk2 , they are very sensitive iems , but that much background hum i’m getting through balanced output simply disclaims me of comfort listening experience, i can easy forget about listen to the jazz because of that .... SE output no background hum ( white noise however you call it ) only those pop crack sound wih volume and dsd ... Sony has disappointed me ...

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #14,699 of 45,723
Hi guys

1/ background hum ? That is a faulty unit or so, I expect...as I never encountered it
2/ clicking upon chasing sampling rate is "mechanical relay" that is normal. Same as plugging, unplugging, or powering on/off.
3/ Pop/crackling noises ? I have never encountered the issue either
4/ Pop and click on changing volume without any music is heard from those range is normal by design. I have came through 3x WM1Z and all of them are behaving the same. Confirmed by dealers which was confirmed by Sony or so I was told

Those are my answers and take on your situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back