SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #13,922 of 45,723
Apparently from what I have heard there are only 2 DAC's capable of doing this right now, but to expect to see DAPS and such to have it next years CES, also MQA actually has to be built into the board its not a simple "stick on the board and it works or a software push".

Sony doesn't use off the shelf DACs anyway, if they support MQA they'll be coding the support themselves.

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #13,923 of 45,723
My wm1a burn in journey is a true roller coaster. Brightness and over accentuated highs that started at around 400 hours and peaked around 500 are basically gone at almost 600 hours. It's brighter than it was at 200 hours but it's no longer fatiguing :)

I appreciate the information, because I am on that same journey. My NW-WM1A is playing with my balanced Audioquest Nighthawks attached. I am not wearing them, because I need to hear the doorbell. FedEx is delivering my AKG K812s today.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #13,924 of 45,723
A40 and ZX300 do not have streaming capabilities, but MQA support is official now.
Also, the hardware is pretty much the same, for decoding part, so it will be very unpleasant supprice for me if Sony do not update their TOTL DAPs.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #13,927 of 45,723
It is stated in the next tab, Features.
I see, now I understand why it feature MQA. That is because online retailers are using it for streaming, even though ZX300 can not stream by itself, you can enjoy it by transporting another device upon Zx300 as an external DAC due to the USB-DAC feature.

If, the WM1A/Z will see an upgrade in firmware for this, then it would support both.....however, if it was not hardware built-in from the beginning, then WM series won't see either features

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #13,929 of 45,723
I see, now I understand why it feature MQA. That is because online retailers are using it for streaming, even though ZX300 can not stream by itself, you can enjoy it by transporting another device upon Zx300 as an external DAC due to the USB-DAC feature.

If, the WM1A/Z will see an upgrade in firmware for this, then it would support both.....however, if it was not hardware built-in from the beginning, then WM series won't see either features

DONT KILL OUR DREAMS!!! lol.....\crying

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #13,930 of 45,723
IMG_1820.JPG Well, eventhough the Zx300 is now with all the glory and marketing features. I will start debunking some stuff now

There is no coil-inductors to strengthen up the Current stability and delivery for amplifications circuitry

IMG_1818.JPG

Yet, it uses some F-resistors and film Capacitors but is no where near the counts on the WM1A or Z. The crystal clocks don't look as large as 1A/Z. There is no shot to show DAC block, which is very beefy from the look on Wm1A/Z

S-Master is so close and right on the opposite site of those MOSFET for analog amplification circuitry though....unlike WM1A/Z which has it separated and away

This is supposedly a Zx100 successor, and yet a Baby-WM1A. It does have additional features such as Apt X HD, which is associated with Qualcomm, and this is more like a test bed for the next iteration * of Walkman. Sony wants to see howmuch people crave for this Apt X stuff.

USB DAC, sure. Don't know if the WM1A will receive a firmware, but if Zx300 seems to be a Baby WM1A, then the WM1A shall be able to get this feature via Firmware upgrade. Keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #13,932 of 45,723
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back