SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #13,832 of 45,723
Guys, check out my WM1Z Review on Headfonia :smile_phones:

very god review , i found very useful the part where you explain the various DC Phase options as i did not know their differences

There’s also a DC Phase Linearizer, which aims to give you an analog amplifier type of bass. There are 6 settings to choose from, each affecting the character of the lows. There’s Type A and Type B, and both have 3 settings each; low, standard and high. Low setting gives more subbass emphasis, standard gives a little more kick to both mid and subbass, and high gives more midbass emphasis. The difference between Type A and B is that in Type B positions the bass is a little further back and gives more focus to mids, while Type A bass is more intimate.

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #13,833 of 45,723
very god review , i found very useful the part where you explain the various DC Phase options as i did not know their differences

There’s also a DC Phase Linearizer, which aims to give you an analog amplifier type of bass. There are 6 settings to choose from, each affecting the character of the lows. There’s Type A and Type B, and both have 3 settings each; low, standard and high. Low setting gives more subbass emphasis, standard gives a little more kick to both mid and subbass, and high gives more midbass emphasis. The difference between Type A and B is that in Type B positions the bass is a little further back and gives more focus to mids, while Type A bass is more intimate.
Thanks.

I got the idea from this thread. I don't actually remember who it was but someone wrote that kind of a thing. So I got curious and tested the settings back and forth to hear the difference. And in the end that was what I heard overall.

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #13,834 of 45,723
btw i shouldn't have read the 'wm1z has a better treble than wm1a'

this is bad news for the wallet (i think)

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #13,835 of 45,723

Good review, generally hitting the points people should consider if they are looking at investing in Sony's golden child. Lets face it, the 1Z is not a frivolous purchase - it really is an investment as far as I am concerned! The only point missed as far as I can see is that the DAP seems to play all genres with aplomb; I have yet to find a genre it can't handle and present well. I like the comparison with the Paw Gold - you've given credit where credit's due, and haven't just gushed Sony, Sony Sony - followed by a bit more, err, Sony :ksc75smile:. I wish there were a few more reviews (like yours) that didn't focus on the price, but upon what the intent of the design team was and whether they have achieved their goal! Well done. :beerchug:

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #13,836 of 45,723
Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #13,838 of 45,723

Great and informative review. Thanks and congratulations.
I see that you have similar view on wm1z portability. Each time when I'm thinking about upgrading from 1a to 1z I keep getting stuck on question: will I use 2500$, half a kilo golden brick as a portable music device? And the answer is always nope.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #13,840 of 45,723
I see that you have similar view on wm1z portability. Each time when I'm thinking about upgrading from 1a to 1z I keep getting stuck on question: will I use 2500$, half a kilo golden brick as a portable music device? And the answer is always nope.

you just answered me why i don't really need wm1Z atm - so THANX for saving me 2000$ :beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #13,843 of 45,723
Sure, wm1a is still not cheap but at least it's not golden and it's weight is managable :wink:

The fact that Wm1Z can achieve better and smoother treble is due to the usages of F-resistors in the player :). Sony engineers confirmed it. Also, the weight of Copper chassis vs Aluminum is great, not only Copper has better conductivity, but using thick and heavy Copper, this aspect is multiplied in several folds. It will come to the limit where too much is too much and it no longer carries or Express any improvements, though the overkilled weight is to make sure that even the ground-return plane for electrical conductivity is "best conducted" for the WM1Z itself. Virtually every each components of and within the WM1Z is dedicated into high quality performances

By the way, Sony engineers also confirmed that by using the OFC Copper chassis, they were able to achieve Deeper bass :).

Have these above explained why Wm1Z has untouchable bass performances and treble reach in comparison to others just yet ?

Excellent review :) thank you so much

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back