SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #1,201 of 45,723

I've provided the data before, Asia is not only the biggest headphone/portable market but also the only growing market so naturally businesses will cater to them first.  Probably not a coincidence that the biggest DAP makers now are also all Asian companies (AK- Korean, Sony - Japan, Fiio/HiFiman - Chinese etc).  Just accept that the Western market for once is not a priority and move on ok?  The constant moaning about not being served is getting really tiring. 

Yeah says the guy living in Asia, if you were living in any other part of the world you would not be happy either.  So stop telling us how we should feel about the state of things in our part of the world.  

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,202 of 45,723
  Yeah says the guy living in Asia, if you were living in any other part of the world you would not be happy either.  So stop telling us how we should feel about the state of things in our part of the world.  

His posts have been good but I agree with yours as well.  Plus, this is a North American forum after all and everyone is entitled to their opinion/preference.  

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #1,203 of 45,723
You can also ...
... quote several posts together by using the "Multi" button, so you don't have to make four posts of yours in a row.
wink.gif

Well, in that case, call me Stephanie!

I do multipost sometimes but I also run my own business so I only jump on periodically.  Thus I typically only get on long enough to respond to one post at a time. Besides not all responses are related to multiple posts.

Oh and I am only Stephanie on special occasions when I feel the urge to wear high heels and makeup. The rest of the time I am just plain old Stephen. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #1,205 of 45,723

The ZX1 also outputs 15mW+15mW, runs Android and has about half the battery time of the ZX2, but also uses a smaller battery due to the much slimmer chasis (Japanese users had calculated it to be under 1000mAH), while the ZX2 gets double the battery life with an industry person confirming that its battery capacity is double that of the ZX1 at 1880mAh - and it gets roughly double that of the running time of the ZX1.  So to get double the battery life such that the device meets the requirement of CEO Kaz's "must last a cross Atlantic flight on one charge", they put a bigger battery of double capacity in there and that's about it, is all pretty straight forward maths/engineering. Of course Sony's not going to tell you "well we didn't increase the power output of the headphone out to meet our CEO's request" because that would be extremely bad PR, but again if you look at the spec it's straight forward maths/engineering.

Now that we know the WM1A/Z outputs 4 times as much power on SE in a body that is roughly the same as the ZX2 - battery tech certainly hasn't improved that much since the release of the ZX2 and we are already able to see the internal of the WM1A/Z already from all the photos and they haven't hollowed out all the components to put in the biggest battery in there, so the reduced power drain must be attributed to the things that did change even in light of the massive increase of power output.  Which means it's either the removal of the WiFi radio (unlikely - test conditions almost never turns on WiFi for DAPs) or the OS (very likely, since you can't turn off the OS).  So by logical deduction it's going to be the OS, there's almost no other way to get around this conclusion. 

Plus it's no secret that Android is a battery hog in the IT world, and pretty much all the DAPs which runs on Android on the market now struggles with more than 10hrs playback time.  So it's pretty obvious what is to blame here.

Well Pioneer and Onkyo figured it out as they are both rated at 16 hours for 24 bit 96Khz FLAC files.  Most DAP makers customize android for their DAP's needs so some optimization is possible to improve battery life.  Power output on Pioneer/Onkyo  is rated at 75 mW per channel and 150 mW per channel balanced mode on the Onkyo.

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #1,206 of 45,723
  His posts have been good but I agree with yours as well.  Plus, this is a North American forum after all and everyone is entitled to their opinion/preference.  

Giving an opinion is one thing but telling others how they should feel about their situation when they have never experienced it themselves bugs me.  

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #1,208 of 45,723
Well, apple ditched the ubiqutuos 3.5mm Jack from their latest iPoophne... making headphones obsolete DAMN YOU APPLE, still love my Headphones tho

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #1,209 of 45,723
I am very tempted by the WM1Z as I said but hesitant as it did sound a bit warm overall. Today I went to a couple of shops in Shanghai, none had it of course, but trying the Ak380 again, is does seem to be more sparkly in the highs. I am now wondering which to get...because the WM1Z is more powerful with deeper bass and more engaging overall. The guy at one of the shops who had tried both preferred the Ak380 as he found the bass on the WM1Z slightly too present. Of course he had the Ak380 to sell so...

​I'm a basshead, so now I'm definitely getting the WM1Z rather than AK380cu haha. xD
(Not having to worry about copper oxidation and fragile 2.5mm plugs are pluses too)

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,210 of 45,723
​I'm a basshead, so now I'm definitely getting the WM1Z rather than AK380cu haha. xD
(Not having to worry about copper oxidation and fragile 2.5mm plugs are pluses too)

I am getting the 1A, i am a Classical Music head
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #1,211 of 45,723
I'm leaning toward getting the new headphones or ES amp instead.  My ZX2 + PHA3 serves me quite well actually.  I wonder if the 1Z can even come close to the ZX2 + PHA3 combo.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #1,212 of 45,723
Sony's choice to go with copper and gold plating on the 1Z could create issues with the long term longevity of the casing on the 1Z.  Firstly, gold is a soft metal and although it is gold plated the casing could tarnish over time much like gold plated jewelry does.  It could also be more scratch prone since gold is a soft metal.  Copper tends to be more dent prone than aluminum so if you drop the 1Z it is more likely the casing will get damaged.  I would say that a high quality case is a must for the 1Z and that the 1A casing should hold up better over time. Especially if you plan to use it outside.

Probably why you don't see much copper or gold plated portable audio products.  

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,213 of 45,723
  Sony's choice to go with copper and gold plating on the 1Z could create issues with the long term longevity of the casing on the 1Z.  Firstly, gold is a soft metal and although it is gold plated the casing could tarnish over time much like gold plated jewelry does.  It could also be more scratch prone since gold is a soft metal.  Copper tends to be more dent prone than aluminum so if you drop the 1Z it is more likely the casing will get damaged.  I would say that a high quality case is a must for the 1Z and that the 1A casing should hold up better over time. Especially if you plan to use it outside.

Probably why you don't see much copper or gold plated portable audio products.  

I had the same thought, but you can use the 1Z as a weapon. Don't drop it on your foot though.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #1,215 of 45,723
  I had the same thought, but you can use the 1Z as a weapon. Don't drop it on your foot though.

The weight of the 1Z coupled with the copper casing almost assures denting if dropped on a hard surface.  I would be interested to see how much drop testing Sony did with the 1Z if any at all.  If Sony still offers AHD (drop protection) on their extended warranties I would say it is a must to get it for the 1Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back