SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #11,911 of 45,723
Anybody who owns the WM1Z also have the PHA-2A amp?

I currently have the WM1A and the PHA-2A. The PHA-2A has a darker, more impactful sound than the 1A. I'm wondering how similar this is to the WM1Z and if this combo is a way to enjoy the best of both worlds at a fraction of the cost of WM1Z...
does it eat the battery in 7 hours like previous Walkman zx2 or zx100?

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #11,913 of 45,723
4.4 female to 3.5 male

Excellent cable, by the way!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #11,918 of 45,723
To anyone that wonder how the DC phase linearizer feel like ? It is rather strange. There are 6 modes

Type A (low, standard, high)
Type B (Low, standard, high)

Low: shift the phase toward the sub-bass. It is not exactly the sub bass that got boosted, but it feel like the energy and dynamic density is shifted toward the emphasis of sub-bass

Standard: similar effect, but is spread out to all bass spectrum instead of focusing in low

High: my most non-favor effect, still the same effect, but the shift is focusing into upper bass or even more into lower mid spectrum bass rather than the bass alone.

Type A: it feel like the bass is widely spread out in a spherical field of rendering. Easier to listen to and more general with all kind of genres.

Type B: it feel like the bass is spread from further away but pinpointed focuses toward the audiences. It results in a much more pin-point focuses onto vocal. Say, if you observe and look ahead, the bass is spread out around and behind the singer and each drum set is arranged into you from that far away with the singer stand closer to you. This is excellent for Jazz and some Ballads

My favorite effects now is

D.C. Phase linerizatoin: Type A, Low
DSEE HX: String. This focuses more into mid spectrum especially upper mid and into lower trebles...I love it for my main genres

:D. I hope it is useful....otherwise, just Direct Source for the heck of it. The WM Walkman is Excellent in DSP and EQ. It would be a waste to not use it

Dude thanks so much for this.. with type A low I am getting bass impact I felt was missing in wm1z from what I had heard from clear bass implementation on zx2n .. also strings is perfect .. makes sound soo good. Tested these settings on both k10 CIEM and oppo pm3.. and wow what a difference.. but they do drain battery ..

@whitgir - do you eq further.. if yes can u share settings.. want to give those a try too

Thanks
Pc

Apr 25, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #11,919 of 45,723
The adaptor from 3.5 mm trrs to 4.4 mm trrrs that a friend of mine has made arrived today

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #11,921 of 45,723
Dude thanks so much for this.. with type A low I am getting bass impact I felt was missing in wm1z from what I had heard from clear bass implementation on zx2n .. also strings is perfect .. makes sound soo good. Tested these settings on both k10 CIEM and oppo pm3.. and wow what a difference.. but they do drain battery ..

@whitgir - do you eq further.. if yes can u share settings.. want to give those a try too

Thanks
Pc

EQ on the Wm1z is very responsive and does not deform the overall sound too much, but it still does, and so I don't use any other EQ. The most I would do was what I shared with you :).

Thanks guys for the warm feelings :D. If I have time, I will help out, just let me know.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #11,922 of 45,723
Being silly trying HE-6 balanced from 1Z with my new adaptor and it actually sounds really good but have to have volume at 120 and they are obviusly not driven to their best but deffinately enjoyable

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #11,923 of 45,723
I now got my WM1Z and I had been worried how it would run my HD800. I just uncapped it with the instruction found from this thread (it was super simple) and I can confirm that it runs HD800 just fine! I'm currenty listening Fausto Mesolella - Live ad Alcartraz @ 83 with high gain on 3.5mm single ended, so there is more than enough room for thos who like to listen on higher volumes. Balanced side may give propably better sound, but there is no need to do that volume vise unless the record is really quiet or you want to break your ears.

And btw, first impression is that it sounds amazing
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #11,924 of 45,723
Being silly trying HE-6 from 1Z with my new adaptor and it actually sounds really good but have to have volume at 120 and they are obviusly not driven to their best but deffinately enjoyable

Haha nice! I am totally impressed that it is able to play my 800S pretty well actually. It would be cool to have an amp attachment to the 1Z like the ak380 but I think the weight would literally be laughable at that point lol it's hilarious you're using it with he-6 straight into the dap.

So balanced is 250 + 250 right? Essentially 500 total.. does anyone know how that compares with the ak attachment amp?

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #11,925 of 45,723
To anyone that wonder how the DC phase linearizer feel like ? It is rather strange. There are 6 modes

Type A (low, standard, high)
Type B (Low, standard, high)

Low: shift the phase toward the sub-bass. It is not exactly the sub bass that got boosted, but it feel like the energy and dynamic density is shifted toward the emphasis of sub-bass

Standard: similar effect, but is spread out to all bass spectrum instead of focusing in low

High: my most non-favor effect, still the same effect, but the shift is focusing into upper bass or even more into lower mid spectrum bass rather than the bass alone.

Type A: it feel like the bass is widely spread out in a spherical field of rendering. Easier to listen to and more general with all kind of genres.

Type B: it feel like the bass is spread from further away but pinpointed focuses toward the audiences. It results in a much more pin-point focuses onto vocal. Say, if you observe and look ahead, the bass is spread out around and behind the singer and each drum set is arranged into you from that far away with the singer stand closer to you. This is excellent for Jazz and some Ballads

My favorite effects now is

D.C. Phase linerizatoin: Type A, Low
DSEE HX: String. This focuses more into mid spectrum especially upper mid and into lower trebles...I love it for my main genres

biggrin.gif
. I hope it is useful....otherwise, just Direct Source for the heck of it. The WM Walkman is Excellent in DSP and EQ. It would be a waste to not use it

I think you're spot on with this one. Nice!

I hear the same, especially the difference between the low, standard and high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back