SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #10,966 of 45,723
A day late for you guys isn't bad, unlike I had to wait a a month and add another month of wait because it arrived when I was boarding the flight to Berlin :grin:

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #10,967 of 45,723
Of course. However for new comers and some less experienced people, when presented with different phones/models they are usually more easily convinced that more BA units is the better one because they do not have the understanding and knowledge to truly determine which one they like, some less honest sales people at the shops will also try to push people towards that as well (because the more BA units cost more, so more profit to them), and it takes a lot of testing out different models/sounds and studying how things works to get out of that mindset, heck some people even never get out of that mindset at all.

I've personally gone through that stage of gunning for more BA units (JH16Pro) and now have gone back full circle to the a basic single dynamic driver or a simple hybrid now that I finally know what my sound preference is.  Took a lot of learning to get to that point.

Good post.. I went through the exact same experiences. People don't understand the real differences in BA and dynamic and they also assume the more BA drivers the better. It just takes time and experience to figure out the truth.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #10,968 of 45,723
Good post.. I went through the exact same experiences. People don't understand the real differences in BA and dynamic and they also assume the more BA drivers the better. It just takes time and experience to figure out the truth.

It's all down to implementation. Some multi BA's are better than some single BA's and vice versa

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #10,969 of 45,723
It's all down to implementation. Some multi BA's are better than some single BA's and vice versa

Yea noble audio talks about that a lot. How it's the implementation and the tuning and design of the drivers themselves that matters. The quantity doesn't matter. Also to compare dynamic to BA is pretty silly in some cases too. Both can be totally flagship and high end or either can also be garbage.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #10,970 of 45,723
I'm also a single dynamic driver addict. Thought about buying the Campfire Vega for the 1Z, but I'm not sure it's worth it since my IE800 came to new life. Z single ended sounds fantastic to me.

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #10,972 of 45,723
Hi,
I've been lucky to get a KSE1500 to test for few days, I 'm wondering which the bets way to connect with the WM1Z?

I I've trying to connect it through the USB port but without any positive result.

Based on Whitigers experience I would guess that using a cable from the headphone out would work very well

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #10,973 of 45,723
Hi,
I've been lucky to get a KSE1500 to test for few days, I 'm wondering which the bets way to connect with the WM1Z?

I I've trying to connect it through the USB port but without any positive result.
try thru headphone out (3.5mm)

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #10,975 of 45,723
HELP.
God, I'm really torn between getting zx2 or wm1a.

The things in favor of zx2 for me are:
1. Android device. Translates to known vs unknown (to me). I know for sure I can search for songs. The story about disappearing album art due to jpg been progressive or baseline is non-existent, so I won't have to go through re-embedding my album arts.
2. Local streaming over my network (don't care for spotify nor tidal). I have about 1.5 Terabytes of music and been able to stream any track when I'm at home is a plus. Not a must but a definite thing I would love.
3. Copying 1 or 2 new albums or edited albums/tracks over network instead of having to attach wm1a to pc everytime I need to copy.

I guess what I'm looking for is how much improved is wm1a over zx2 to skew me in this direction. 
Wm1a is also a beautiful device.

What say you owners of wm1a. I know most of you have used zx2 before moving on to the latest.
Haa, don't suggest wm1z please (just can't afford it).

Thanks.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #10,976 of 45,723
NoMythsAudio

Excellent post and you perfectly sum up the, imho, two major issues of the 1A and 1Z - the inability to do local streaming over the network of one's ripped collection AND the inability to stream TIDAL uncompressed

So I to am waiting for some feedback comparing the ZX2 and WM1A.  If the quality difference between the two is rather significant - then the decision becomes much easier (for me)

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #10,977 of 45,723
  HELP.
God, I'm really torn between getting zx2 or wm1a.

The things in favor of zx2 for me are:
1. Android device. Translates to known vs unknown (to me). I know for sure I can search for songs. The story about disappearing album art due to jpg been progressive or baseline is non-existent, so I won't have to go through re-embedding my album arts.
2. Local streaming over my network (don't care for spotify nor tidal). I have about 1.5 Terabytes of music and been able to stream any track when I'm at home is a plus. Not a must but a definite thing I would love.
3. Copying 1 or 2 new albums or edited albums/tracks over network instead of having to attach wm1a to pc everytime I need to copy.

I guess what I'm looking for is how much improved is wm1a over zx2 to skew me in this direction. 
Wm1a is also a beautiful device.

What say you owners of wm1a. I know most of you have used zx2 before moving on to the latest.
Haa, don't suggest wm1z please (just can't afford it).

Thanks.

The much better power output of the WM1A or Z over the ZX2 is worth either one over the ZX2 but the sound, IMO, is also better on either over the ZX2. You do at least have a bluetooth ability with the WM1*. I don't do streaming so I guess it isn't a big thing to me but sound is. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #10,978 of 45,723
Jamato8

16k posts - seems like you have been around the block a few times!

How do the Sony's stack up against the other DAP's currently in the marketplace - TOTL?  Any others to consider?  

Comparisons between the A and Z?  I have the Utopia and am in the process of getting the Z1R (I also need a closed back).  A WM1A + Z1R costs just about the same as the WM1Z!

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #10,979 of 45,723
I already knew about today's arrival date as stated by Jason - that was the purpose of my question. I am curious to know if units were released today or if they are delayed
The Walkman has arrived in USA *crowd cheering hysterically*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back