SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #1,081 of 45,723
I wish sony would have made two version like this: one clunky high powered one for people who want to use hard to drive headphones portably (why?) and one small svelte lower powered version for people who use IEMs.

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #1,082 of 45,723
  To be honest for me it is more about the ability to download music on the go vs actually streaming internet audio.  I am picky about what I listen to and I listen to alot of different genres so internet streaming audio doesn't float my boat. I won't pay for streaming audio when I might only hear a song I like once every 10 songs or so.

Pioneer/Onkyo: both have 32 GB internal storage and dual microsd card slots, support MQA for HiRes streaming audio (to be supported by Tidal and others). Rated at 75 mW per channel into 32 ohms (Onkyo 150 mW per channel balanced mode).  All better than the ZX2

Approx 16 hours (96 kHz/24 bit,FLAC playback), not as good as the ZX2 but pretty good. I listen to mostly16 bit FLAC so I might be able to do slightly better than 16 hours.  Pioneer/Onkyo have better hardware and software across the board compared to the ZX2.

By my estimates the only thing the ZX2 has over the Pioneer/Onkyo is better battery life.  I found the operation of the Pioneer/Onkyo DAP's were just as smooth if not slightly better than the ZX2. All for less money, at least in Canada.

My other concern with the ZX2 is since it looks to be discontinued what do you do if it needs to be serviced out of warranty?  Sony could say sorry but that model is discontinued and we don't provide service anymore. Providing service for discontinued products is at Sony's discretion.  I would not want to end up with $1200.00 paper weight.

Of course you can choose those DAP's based on their capabilities, price and basically they're fresher than ZX2.

I just wanted to mention what I've experienced with X7 and DP-X1. It was annoying for me.

Just a correction: ZX2 has 128GB memory so with 32GB they're not better than Sony. You have to purchase Micro SD cards but having 128GB onboard is very convenient.

Another plus for them is you can use them as DAC's right?

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #1,083 of 45,723
Makes you wonder about the future of the ZX2, is it staying or going?

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #1,089 of 45,723
To Wi-fi or not to wi-fi that is the question ! ?

It doesn't bother me whether these new players have streaming capabilities or not, because i don't stream music. I have a ZX2, and i do like the fact, that you have the option to do other things with it, but i very rarely do. I bought it as a music player, not something to access the internet. ( I've downloaded one app, where i can control my Sony HAP-S1, which i find very useful, but other than that, i don't use it to access other stuff. )
For me personally, i'm of an age, where i stick to what i know, what i'm use to. I always buy the physical CD. The only time i buy a download is when the music is not physically available. Even though my CD's are rarely played now, once purchased, ( I rip everything and transfer to devices. ) i could never not own the physical CD !
I'm all for being able to access music on the internet, and it's great that you can access & discover music immediately, and music that you wouldn't have heard without the internet. ( The days when you only had the radio & record shops, to listen to music ! )
Everyone's a different age, and that can influence your needs. The bottom line is, there's only one fact, and that is Sony have decided not to have all the bells & whistles, and purely concentrated on the best audio possible, hopefully ! So all the complaining /  disappointments for those that want other things, isn't going to change anything !!
Just be thankful that companies like Sony continue to produce quality products & that consumers enjoy them ! 

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #1,091 of 45,723
  I wish sony would have made two version like this: one clunky high powered one for people who want to use hard to drive headphones portably (why?) and one small svelte lower powered version for people who use IEMs.

and what about people who want both of the worlds
biggrin.gif
?

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #1,094 of 45,723
  I would like to warn you guys on something here. I've tested the Onkyo and also FiiO X7. When Wi-Fi is on, there's a noticable background noise on the X7 and you can do nothing about it. Whenever the Wi-Fi is on, it doesn't matter whether you're streaming or just listening your files with the built in music app, there's noise. It's annoying to me.

And DP-X1. Well, there's also a hissing sound on that as well, when you streaming with Wi-Fİ. But I think maybe the problem on the Onkyo is somewhat different which is when you use another app instead of the stock music app, it starts hissing. Not sure which is the exact problem because I didn't have a chance to test for a long period, but the sure thing is those 2 DAP's have a background noise issue. 

Never tested the Pioneer DAP, so can't say anything about that one.

ZX2 is still the best DAP for me in terms of battery life and having no problems like hissing on Wİ-Fi and so on... I agree it's beginning to get old and Android version is JB, but it still runs fairly smooth and with the unrivalled battery time, it's still the number 1 to me.

you are wrong with Onkyo DP-X1 but I can not say about Fiio X7 because I do not have one but I use DP -X1 with balanced out JH Angie II and have black background and of course anything that have no noise at all when you use the DAP in airplane mode and wifi is a must have option in 2016 .I agree with you on  ZX2 and it is also good sounding without any noice even when the wifi is on,thanks

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #1,095 of 45,723
  Of course you can choose those DAP's based on their capabilities, price and basically they're fresher than ZX2.

I just wanted to mention what I've experienced with X7 and DP-X1. It was annoying for me.

Just a correction: ZX2 has 128GB memory so with 32GB they're not better than Sony. You have to purchase Micro SD cards but having 128GB onboard is very convenient.

Another plus for them is you can use them as DAC's right?

Okey so I buy two 128 GB microsd cards for $120.00 including tax (yes I can get them that cheap) and now I have 288 GB storage and it is still cheaper  than the ZX2. Or I can get two 200 GB microsd cards for 432 GB (confirmed XDP-100R can handle in specs) and cost about the same as the ZX2 by itself.  I can do this all day my friend.

Outside of battery life there is nothing that the ZX2 can offer over the XDP-100R. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back