SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #10,261 of 45,723
It's a Sony Kimber copy. Why not get the Sony Kimber for less money? Also the Sony Kimber uses brand name high quality Pentaconn connectors rather than alternate factory made connectors. Being that Ray Kimber licensed his name to Sony makes me believe the Sony Kimber is going to be better overall ....just a thought

SONY Kimber is actually not bad, the only bad thing is the MMCX need to change. It get loose easily. Probably going to send mine to some shop to get better MMCX plugs.

Cable wise been running it for about 200hrs. It's still the more comfortable and easy cable to listen to. The thick lows added to the vocal is just sexy and sweet.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #10,262 of 45,723
SONY Kimber is actually not bad, the only bad thing is the MMCX need to change. It get loose easily. Probably going to send mine to some shop to get better MMCX plugs.

Cable wise been running it for about 200hrs. It's still the more comfortable and easy cable to listen to. The thick lows added to the vocal is just sexy and sweet.
Really? Got loose? I'll need to check that. I used the SKK for a few days and didn't experience that. Overall the Sony is realy very nice. Enjoy it!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 13, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #10,263 of 45,723
It's a Sony Kimber copy. Why not get the Sony Kimber for less money? Also the Sony Kimber uses brand name high quality Pentaconn connectors rather than alternate factory made connectors. Being that Ray Kimber licensed his name to Sony makes me believe the Sony Kimber is going to be better overall ....just a thought

That is quite a statement. Do you have any proofs to prove that they are making copies of Kimber cable? If you mean the look, there are many other brands offering the similar looks too, not sure why it's being labeled "copy".

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #10,264 of 45,723

I saw the sony one about $209.99. It's a little more expensive than the cable i said. And i saw someone said sony kimber is easy to get loose with the mmcx. Well i just give a suggestion for the cable. I used it with my old flc8s before. Right now im using EA Thor Silver II+ with my vega and waiting a copper cable from plussound.
​Tnx mate, do you know how much they take to make it? UPDATE: checked their page and saw the handle sony XBA-Z5 but don't have for MDR-Z7 bummer

I think it take around $190, and you can get $5 off on their website. For me i can get cheaper cus i heave a 15%off coupon from them. But i gonna use it with aaw w900 soon :D.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #10,265 of 45,723
I saw the sony one about $209.99. It's a little more expensive than the cable i said. And i saw someone said sony kimber is easy to get loose with the mmcx. Well i just give a suggestion for the cable. I used it with my old flc8s before. Right now im using EA Thor Silver II+ with my vega and waiting a copper cable from plussound.
I think it take around $190, and you can get $5 off on their website. For me i can get cheaper cus i heave a 15%off coupon from them. But i gonna use it with aaw w900 soon :D.
My point was more about with Sony its been made and decided by Sony it meets a standard they elected best for their headphone and obviously Ray Kimber agreed or the use of his brand name wouldn't have happened.,I've known Ray since 1979, he wouldn't lend out his name to a bad product.

I didn't say knock off, I said copy meaning "look alike"

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 13, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #10,266 of 45,723
My point was more about with Sony its been made and decided by Sony it meets a standard they elected best for their headphone and obviously Ray Kimber agreed or the use of his brand name wouldn't have happened.,I've known Ray since 1979, he wouldn't lend out his name to a bad product.

I didn't say knock off, I said copy meaning "look alike"

I got you, I actually care-less about the looks but SQ speaks different story for each of them . 

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #10,267 of 45,723
That is a fair statement, but I feel it is irresponsible to recommend that people spend their hard earned money on something that results in a placebo effect. It's also important to note that the people recommending the use of these stickers make no mention of the fact that you will have to open up your equipment to install them, which will void any warranty you may have. That is also very irresponsible.

May be you read too much into my post. I was just talking about placebo in general. I didn't recommend anyone to do anything. I specifically said with regard to the sticker, whether a person believes it or not, it is up to him. I have no horse in the race one way or the other. I have no opinion whether it works or not. All I was saying if a person wants to use it, "regardless whether it works or not" his believes that it works may alter his perception. Nowhere in my post to suggest anyone to use it. It is more a discussion of the issue of placebo than the logistic of twitching the1Z. That's all.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #10,268 of 45,723
Really? Got loose? I'll need to check that. I used the SKK for a few days and didn't experience that. Overall the Sony is realy very nice. Enjoy it!

It was a loose fit for my IEM, initially was ok. But after i remove it a few times (probably less than 10 times)... it just disconnects so easily that when i try to put on my iem it just drop off. 
I do enjoy the sound.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #10,269 of 45,723

It was a loose fit for my IEM, initially was ok. But after i remove it a few times (probably less than 10 times)... it just disconnects so easily that when i try to put on my iem it just drop off. 
I do enjoy the sound.

Isn't that common with MMCX in general? That's why I try to avoid IEMs with that termination if possible.

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #10,270 of 45,723
Does anyone know if the new 4.4mm plug "standard" is going to be adopted by any other manufacturers? Any "word on the street"? I really like the new plug, but am beginning to wonder if it is nothing more than a marketing ploy to lock people into the Sony brand. I know that I am less likely to buy another brand of DAP any time soon, as I just upgraded all my phones with 4.4mm cables.

This is not a "standard" or a Sony thing but an actual JEITA standard that Sony are just the first to use

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #10,271 of 45,723
  Isn't that common with MMCX in general? That's why I try to avoid IEMs with that termination if possible.

I think it depends on the quality. I have Some Sony that are fine and the iBasso IT03 have been used a lot, taking the connector on an off, at least 100 times most likely more because I have balanced and SE cable and both cables are fine and solid. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #10,272 of 45,723

I do enjoy the sound.

+1.  While I love the right-angle 4.4mm connector, not a fan of the mmcx; they seem kinda... not robust??  Mine aren't quite that loose, but having read your experiences, I've also tried to minimize connecting/disconnecting them, as even the very first time I connected them they weren't all that tight.

Quote:

I think it depends on the quality. I have Some Sony that are fine and the iBasso IT03 have been used a lot, taking the connector on an off, at least 100 times most likely more because I have balanced and SE cable and both cables are fine and solid. 

Most definitely; the litz cable that came with the Andromeda's seems to have really sturdy mmcx.  I even have a relatively cheapo cable from aliexpress of which I've connected/disconnected at least 50 times, and still very much makes a rock solid connection.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #10,273 of 45,723

I do enjoy the sound.

Never had this issue - and I've been swapping the cable between a bunch of my IEMs (Justear, Sony, Beyer/AK) constantly.

Perhaps the female jack of your headphone may be the issue?  It's not necessarily the male side that poses the problem.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #10,274 of 45,723
Never had this issue - and I've been swapping the cable between a bunch of my IEMs (Justear, Sony, Beyer/AK) constantly.

Perhaps the female jack of your headphone may be the issue?  It's not necessarily the male side that poses the problem.

My other cables all have more solid fit than the Kimber i own.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #10,275 of 45,723
My other cables all have more solid fit than the Kimber i own.

I have a bunch of other cables including DIY ones and they all fit the same.

You may have a bad one I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back