SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #9,406 of 45,723
To be completely honest, the only reason that I still own both the 1A and 1Z is the fact that I got the 1Z for 34% off retail, and I don't think I'll ever see that deal again. For that reason, I just can't let it go. I find myself grabbing the 1A more and more, due to the more practical weight. Can't take the 1Z to the gym, as it pulls down my sweatpants and shorts, and nobody wants to see that. 
biggrin.gif
  The 1Z is reserved for quality, relaxing "me" time.

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #9,407 of 45,723
To be completely honest, the only reason that I still own both the 1A and 1Z is the fact that I got the 1Z for 34% off retail, and I don't think I'll ever see that deal again. For that reason, I just can't let it go. I find myself grabbing the 1A more and more, due to the more practical weight. Can't take the 1Z to the gym, as it pulls down my sweatpants and shorts, and nobody wants to see that.  :D   The 1Z is reserved for quality, relaxing "me" time.
Are you sure the 1Z is a 1Z inside it ?

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #9,409 of 45,723
  I listen to both players pretty much every day. They sound exactly the same through my SE846's, HD800S's and MDR-Z7's. I don't allow my wallet or emotions make me hear things that aren't there. If you hear a difference, that's great. I do not. I decided to keep both of them and love them both.

​I am pretty happy with my 1A, for me it the best walkman (and DAP) i've owned over my 12 year period with digital audio players

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #9,410 of 45,723
I listen to both players pretty much every day. They sound exactly the same through my SE846's, HD800S's and MDR-Z7's. I don't allow my wallet or emotions make me hear things that aren't there. If you hear a difference, that's great. I do not. I decided to keep both of them and love them both.

To each their own, and we all hear differently and have different SQ preferences, but I also own both the 1A and 1Z and on my Vega's and EC Flows the two Sony DAPs sound similar, but not the same. The 1Z has more emotion and refinement, more of an analog versus digital feel to me. And I know a number of company owners of very respected brands that also count the 1Z as their portable reference. Is the 1Z worth the considerable $ difference? Depends on your personal circumstances and preferences. Cheers

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #9,411 of 45,723
If I could have gotten the 1Z for around 1k more than 1A I would have bought it, to me 1Z is slightly warmer sounding than 1A which is what i like but as is 1A has killed all desire for DAP upgrade. Tried the current Cowon flagship dap again, tried the DX200 and the AK380 Cu, all great daps but boy I am happy with 1A. Ofcourse 1A isn't perfect. I still like the AK tile album display a lot more than 1A which is too spread. Come one Sony, give us a better UI!

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #9,412 of 45,723
Looks like gold/silver

It look that way, but silver gold plated wires also look the same as gold :). Interesting to see how it sound like

Oh yeah that is a mix isn't it?

Yes, gold silver.

so you think wm1a > PS , which is supposedly to be >P1

and a guy who owns P1 and DX200 says that P1 > dx200

so wm1a > PS > P1 > dx200

but another person thins that dx200 > wm1a 

gotta love subjectivity here :p  

Lol... That would be me. I own Cowon S and P1, 1z,and dx200. They are all better than the DX200 (IMHO before someone has a heart attack, quotes me, and corrects me. As if anything anyone here says is a fact when comparing kit).

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #9,413 of 45,723
Each time you post poedros I feel like I'm seeing a subliminal message asking me if you can borrow my wm1a @_@
Trust me if you don't use or need the streaming or video playback, you gonna love the wm1. And since you are part of the EE fam already and also wanna try the Zeus one day, you need the much lower noise floor of the wm1 series haha. It's time to pass the zx2 onwards my friend

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #9,414 of 45,723
Getting my Norn Therium 8 cable back this upcoming new week, reterminated to 4.4mm. The prodigal son returns!

Staying on the Wm1a for now, can't wait to try it out with the MrSpeakers Aeon in April at the UK headfi meet (also got one pre-ordered). No doubt there will be a WM1Z at Canjam London where I can compare both and see which I prefer with the Aeon and the Zeus R.
musicday will you be coming to the meet too? You're more than welcomed to try my wm1a there. Highly likely someone else will have one and even the wm1z maybe yeah? :)

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #9,416 of 45,723
Yes, gold silver.

That will be a great cable pairing.
Will retain the room-filling lows and extends the highs.

Which i am waiting for my Gold silver alloy cable from Effect Audio to be ready for collection.

I am currently using 4.4mm Kimber Kable which i felt didnt go high enough for my liking.

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #9,417 of 45,723
Have a Questyle QP1R that I'm very fond of at this point. Haven't been able to find a WM1A to listen to it. Has anyone compared the two? Is it worth the difference to buy a WM1A? Only problem with the QP1R is the UI.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #9,418 of 45,723
Have a Questyle QP1R that I'm very fond of at this point. Haven't been able to find a WM1A to listen to it. Has anyone compared the two? Is it worth the difference to buy a WM1A? Only problem with the QP1R is the UI.

I have both, if you are fine with Ui and battery on qp1r, its not worth spending on 1a. I only got it because it pairs well with my iem and good battery for daily use outside. 1a is lacking behind in Sq. If you can, get 1z instead.

good pairing even on se

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #9,419 of 45,723

so you think wm1a > PS , which is supposedly to be >P1

and a guy who owns P1 and DX200 says that P1 > dx200

so wm1a > PS > P1 > dx200

but another person thins that dx200 > wm1a 

gotta love subjectivity here 
tongue.gif

I think it's down to the fact I've now got the perfect synergy for me with the WM1A paired with the Inear P8 in balanced. It's all subjective to what you like and want to hear
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #9,420 of 45,723

I think it's down to the fact I've now got the perfect synergy for me with the WM1A paired with the Inear P8 in balanced. It's all subjective to what you like and want to hear
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah i was joking with how hard it is here to decide what to buy as almost everything sounds good after a price point 

i think wm1a will pair amazingly with my NT6 , whereas dx200 should be great with my EE athena

choices, choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back