SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #7,321 of 45,723
First hour into the 1Z and it's sounding really friggin' awesome, even straight out of the box. Controls my Vega's with real authority and gives the best separation and emotion I've heard out of them to date. No critical listening yet, just immersing myself to start, but good stuff!

The 1A will have a hard show to follow when it gets here on Monday from the UK and has to go under the hacking knife.

Cheers 

PS - All listening has been done SE as my 4.4mm adapter doesn't come until Monday.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #7,322 of 45,723
  XBA-Z5 sing with 24 bit masters, + WM1A, the WM1A knows how to extract the juice even from lowly 16/44... but 24-bit is just wow

Charpentier Messe et Tedeu a Huit Voix /Le Concert Spirituel 24/176.4Khz ashtonishing details, testing with Z7s

​Z7 fared OK but not as WOWing as Z5s... that was until i ticked HIGH GAIN output and wow, def. Z7 need high gain to rock nice

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #7,323 of 45,723
Listening again to my 1A, this time the purpose was to aim to listen as if I am writing a review. So far I like single ended far more than balance out. As I stated before I will blame the kimber kable till I have a different cable to test it.

What I notice on 1A is improved soundstage, much wider and bass is more detailed. Improved layering and soundstage basically is what 1A has over 4.4 connection.

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #7,324 of 45,723
Listening again to my 1A, this time the purpose was to aim to listen as if I am writing a review. So far I like single ended far more than balance out. As I stated before I will blame the kimber kable till I have a different cable to test it.

What I notice on 1A is improved soundstage, much wider and bass is more detailed. Improved layering and soundstage basically is what 1A has over 4.4 connection.
perhaps you have burned in 3.5 mm until pretty good and sudden change to 4.4mm which is not burn in yet giving you the feel of un smooth and not so nice?

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #7,326 of 45,723
Actually 4.4mm with Kimber will be still smoother than 3.5mm with 200hrs of burnt in from my experience.

Just the details will decrease, soundstage wise, it will become not so wide but it goes deep in the front.

Also Kimber Kable need a bit more power in volume.

My setup is [ALO 3.5mm Ref 8 + Andromeda] -> [4.4mm Kimber Kable + Andromeda]

I am at 250hrs mark on my 4.4mm Kimber, I would say everything clears up, details still a bit lacking/or i should say softer/not as audible compare to ALO. The sparkle is still good with Kimber Kable from the start.

I will probably looking for a 4.4mm Silver cable.

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #7,328 of 45,723

​Z7 fared OK but not as WOWing as Z5s... that was until i ticked HIGH GAIN output and wow, def. Z7 need high gain to rock nice

I found the same out when I tried both out of the PHA3.  The Z5 in balanced actually beat out my old JH13pro before.  Time to go balanced man...you won't regret this.

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #7,329 of 45,723

Not surprised, Z7 were just a pleasant set, but really not enough for its price. I have to find time for a Z5 vs Vega, but lets also give 1A some 100 hours at least, been playing non stop, must be on over 20 now...
Im also getting AT ath r70x which are insanly great value, amazing cans and paired great with a non capped 1A.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #7,331 of 45,723
Listening to the 1Z in balance 4.4 seriously for the first time as I just received my Kimber 16 cores Axios AG, picture to follow later. Only about 10 hours into burning but wow the difference is big from 3.5 SE out. The sound is cleaner, more open up, more airy, and authoritative. The resolutions and layering increased as i can hear an artist's interpretation and idiosyncrasies very clear through emotional accentuation. Second and third harmonics are also clearer. Complex and fast passages are clearly resolved and presented. I have a feeling the balance sound is what the Sony team intended to create originally when they say they have a sound in mind. Very musical and immersive. Very much in vivo experience, Ces la vie Ces la mor.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #7,332 of 45,723
Do these players give balanced out through a 3.5mm trrs or is it just the 4.4 jack?

Only 4.4mm is balanced.

The reason the 3.5mm support TRRS cause SONY have iem that have TRRS plugs. So they make their players compatible to those iems but not balanced.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #7,333 of 45,723
Listening to the 1Z in balance 4.4 seriously for the first time as I just received my Kimber 16 cores Axios AG, picture to follow later. Only about 10 hours into burning but wow the difference is big from 3.5 SE out. The sound is cleaner, more open up, more airy, and authoritative. The resolutions and layering increased as i can hear an artist's interpretation and idiosyncrasies very clear through emotional accentuation. Second and third harmonics are also clearer. Complex and fast passages are clearly resolved and presented. I have a feeling the balance sound is what the Sony team intended to create originally when they say they have a sound in mind. Very musical and immersive.

I never go back to 3.5mm anymore.

Jan 14, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #7,334 of 45,723
I never go back to 3.5mm anymore.

Yes, I am deluding and asking myself why are the singers all singing TO ME :D not even sex can keep me up at 4:00 am in the morning yet I am listening to the 1Z, I need to check with my therapist :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back