SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #45,136 of 45,723
Like you install the FW, then Chameleon for it to fully work besides whatever the next steps are after Chameloen?
The new installer will have the new sounds built in to it. So all you have to do is just install that new version of chameleon when it’s released and you will have the latest and greatest. Nothing else to do.

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #45,137 of 45,723
I have beta firmware to try for 1A. Read the instruction carefully before try! >> Here
Any error or problem installing it let me know since it's still in beta.

Also for OrionV2 stage7 for 1Z. Read the instruction before install >> Here

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #45,138 of 45,723
I have beta firmware to try for 1A. Read the instruction carefully before try! >> Here
Any error or problem installing it let me know since it's still in beta.

Thanks, Robert.

I think it would be a good idea if we could start differentiating between SWUpdate.xml tuning mods and actual firmware mods, now that we have firmware mods available.

Also, you're again using the SWUpdate.xml "swapping" thing, which was proven that it doesn't work as you think, at all.

It's mind boggling that you're just ignoring facts (that you can check yourself) and you just continue using some method that is not working...

Exactly what I was thinking. The SWUpdate.xml file is loaded only at startup, and it's never loaded again afterwards.

What is the Software Update tool doing in the image?

1. (red color) When you first start it, it reads the "SWUpdate.xml" file and the "disclaimer_en.txt" file (depending on your computer's language)
2. (green color) After you go to the second step and then you start the update process, the Software Update tool reads the "NW_WM_FW.UPG" file, which is the firmware, and then it sends it to your Walkman device (the "I:\NW_WM_FW.UPG" in the screenshot, in my case)

The difference in seconds, from 16 to 36, is the time I took to enable the Mass Storage mode on my player. I then went to the second step, and started the update process.

And that's the only thing that the Software Update tool reads from the folders.

Feel free to test it yourself, the Process Monitor executable can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

With that being said, I'm really not sure what you guys witnessed...

Edit: I welcome anyone to download the Process Monitor software from Microsoft (LINK) and see for themselves that the SWUpdate.xml file is only read once, and it's not read again.

So the file is read once, then the XML is swapped by the .bat file, and then nothing else happens, no additional readings of that file. Only the content of the first XML file is used.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #45,139 of 45,723
Thanks, Robert.

I think it would be a good idea to differentiate between SWUpdate.xml tuning mods and actual firmware mods, now that we have firmware mods available.

Also, you're again using the SWUpdate.xml "swapping" thing, which was proven that it doesn't work as you think, at all.

It's mind boggling that you're just ignoring facts (that you can check yourself) and you just continue using some method that is not working...
Swap the xml file does work. I have been using this method to build and experiment on firmware for couple months now. I wouldn't keep doing it if it doesn't work.

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #45,140 of 45,723
After return from @Nayparm my modded 1Z has now played 20 hours and only dropped one segment on the battery indicator

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #45,141 of 45,723
Swap the xml file does work. I have been using this method to build and experiment on firmware for couple months now. I wouldn't keep doing it if it doesn't work.

How could it work when it doesn't?

It's ok if you don't want to believe me, absolutely no problem. You can just download the Process Monitor software from Microsoft, which clearly shows that the XML file is only read when you start the Software Update tool, and only then.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

There is a difference between "I think it works" and "Here is the proof that it works" (which doesn't exist).

The Process Monitor thing is something anyone can use to check this fact. I invite everyone to use it and prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #45,142 of 45,723
Bruh...im with you on this. This is why I use daps..early on in my journey, I kept getting interrupted by updates, emails, texts etc. And I noticed on my commuter bus that everyone was doing the same crap like lemmings...thats when I made the break to separate my music from my phone for the better. I enjoy music listening on my commutes, at work and at coffeeshops alot more now.

Also just downloaded Chameleon...all I can say is wow. Its way better than 1A/1Z+..man, Im gonna hook Mr. Dub with more beer at the end of the week. This is night and day difference from the other mods.

29AEAA01-CB09-485E-98C6-1C06C61E7471.gif

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #45,145 of 45,723
MDR-Z1R and 1A are one of my preferred combos. Go figure

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #45,146 of 45,723
@RobertP, regarding the instructions which are saying that you should restore to factory configuration if you used any of my firmware mods, I'm not sure on what you're basing your info on.

Installing the firmware mods is no different than installing a stock firmware. The SWUpdate.xml file is the same as in the stock firmware, and all the changes are coming from inside the firmware.

The partitions in which the firmware is stored are always read-only, so restoring to factory configuration does nothing special if you used any of these firmware mods. Installing the stock firmware will completely replace the modded firmware, and nothing is left behind or anything like that.

There are people around here who returned to the stock firmware, and they did not have any kind of issue, so maybe the issue you had previously was caused by your experimenting with countless tuning mods.

Thanks, and if any of the information provided in this post is unclear to you, feel free to let me know.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #45,147 of 45,723
@RobertP, regarding the instructions which are saying that you should restore to factory configuration if you used any of my firmware mods, I'm not sure on what you're basing your info on.

Installing the firmware mods is no different than installing a stock firmware. The SWUpdate.xml file is the same as in the stock firmware, and all the changes are coming from inside the firmware.

The partitions in which the firmware is stored are always read-only, so restoring to factory configuration does nothing special if you used any of these firmware mods. Installing the stock firmware will completely replace the modded firmware, and nothing is left behind or anything like that.

There are people around here who returned to the stock firmware, and they did not have any kind of issue, so maybe the issue you had previously was caused by your experimenting with countless tuning mods.

Thanks, and if any of the information provided in this post is unclear to you, feel free to let me know.
I went back to stock without problems. True story.

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #45,148 of 45,723
To further clarify, restoring to factory configuration will delete the contents of the internal storage partition and then recreate it, and it will also wipe the place where things like Settings and probably info about the tuning is stored.

The modified firmware is not changing the tuning that SWUpdate.xml tuning mods are changing, hence the conclusion that the issue RobertP had could most probably be from experimenting with tuning mods.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #45,149 of 45,723
Sep 16, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #45,150 of 45,723
I went back to stock without problems. True story.

Countless times with no issues, revert to 1A then load Stock 3.02. I'll reset device settings from time to time, equally that's due to changing regions and recommended by the Rockbox team, no BT remote versus having the feature etc.

Q-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back