SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #45,076 of 45,723
How is the new weight?

Probably a bit heavier but it was already so heavy that I don’t really notice it and at any rate I only use it stationary

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #45,077 of 45,723
wt .jpg

At times 1A/1Z+ just adds such a closeness with the music. Like the firmware/hardware combo is completely introducing the recording goal with relaying the detail, thus achieving the tone and character. But not just only that, but soundstage has placement by being completely correct and perfectly arranged?

The opening song on this 2011 LP “A Shot In The Dark” comes out a great example. Using J on the 1Z the complete mix is almost something magic. The bass sits in the pocket yet allows a rhythm to bounce with both cymbals and hi-hats making their way out in the mix at such precision. The accents on the down beat.........amazing!

The perfect placement of her voice inside the mix. Nothing is off and it’s even more detailed than I’ve ever heard it. My favorite is the melodic guitar sound which comes off breathtaking yet in the mix. This song has all kinds of processes and synth work. There is a actually a synth syncopation under it all which is purposely left on the down low, yet the musicians know and are going along with it. Normally the feeling of the syncopated synth is known but not exactly heard through-out, yet now it is? Strangely enough it’s always been there.....buried until now? In 16/44.1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Within_Temptation

Great album, by the way. A very nice collection of songs in the style, very catchy. I definitely have to give it a try on the WM1A... I have it on CD, so it's also a good opportunity to experiment with DSEE in its different variants (both in the standard version and in the AI version brought to the table by @MrWalkman's firmwares).

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #45,078 of 45,723
For the new Walkman successor, muar save in secret, as if my husband sees my purpose of saving up he will kill me. Haha, the package cannot go unnoticed tho, unless I open the walkman and throw the packaging in the communal trash bins lol
Well, that's what you should do. :)

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #45,079 of 45,723
Great album, by the way. A very nice collection of songs in the style, very catchy. I definitely have to give it a try on the WM1A... I have it on CD, so it's also a good opportunity to experiment with DSEE in its different variants (both in the standard version and in the AI version brought to the table by @MrWalkman's firmwares).
These are my favorite bands now:
After Forever, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Edguy, Avantasia, Kamelot, Rhapsody of Fire, Alestorm, Stratovarius, Primal Fear, Theatre Of Tragedy, Hammerfall, Demons & Wizards, Firewind, Epica, Falconer, Diabulus in Musica, Edenbridge, Therion, Visions Of Atlantis, Xandria, Eluveitie, Within Temptation and...................Tristania.

But yes, that album will get arrows shot at it for being too commercial, but it was my introduction to them, so? Her voice is amazing to me. Glad you like it! To me the recording is flawless? IMO

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #45,080 of 45,723
It's not the music files they are hacking, It's location/patterns of movement they are tracking.
Algorithms that look at your meta data, can build profiles on you that know more about you than you know about yourself.
The US government carries out Drone attacks in foreign countries based on nothing but meta data. Let that sink in for a bit....
Psychological profiles are built to the point that they can reliably predict every response you will make to any given situation.
1984 has nothing on the what governments have cooking around the world today.
And the Covid tracking programs have taken this surveillance to a whole different level....The worst is yet to come.
In this case you probably not to use smart phone as the apps take more profile about you.

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #45,081 of 45,723
These are my favorite bands now:
After Forever, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Edguy, Avantasia, Kamelot, Rhapsody of Fire, Alestorm, Stratovarius, Primal Fear, Theatre Of Tragedy, Hammerfall, Demons & Wizards, Firewind, Epica, Falconer, Diabulus in Musica, Edenbridge, Therion, Visions Of Atlantis, Xandria, Eluveitie, Within Temptation and...................Tristania.

But yes, that album will get arrows shot at it for being too commercial, but it was my introduction to them, so? Her voice is amazing to me. Glad you like it! To me the recording is flawless? IMO
I've never heard of any of these bands.

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #45,082 of 45,723
I've never heard of any of these bands.

It’s pretty much European, but still some bands are very commercial. Much of this I knew about but avoided for 20 years, so it’s nice to finally learn about it. Some great female front singers, also a lot of symphonic elements almost like OSTs? Though, I’m not sure what to recommend?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #45,083 of 45,723
It’s pretty much European, but still some bands are very commercial. Much of this I knew about but avoided for 20 years, so it’s nice to finally learn about it. Some great female front singers, also a lot of symphonic elements almost like OSTs? Though, I’m not sure what to recommend?

Cheers!

Thought those were Pokémons until I saw whiting temptation..

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #45,085 of 45,723
Waiting for mrW FW
16001753981227600288873749137172.jpg

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #45,086 of 45,723
Sep 15, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #45,090 of 45,723
Exactly. Also as I remember all A&K player are overheating fast. Not as fast as iBasso 220, but pretty fast.
Yes, I had AK240 before using WM1Z. It has 3250 mAh battery, the play time is less than 5 hours (around 40% hi-res/DSD). It is very hot when playing DSD music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back