SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #42,916 of 45,723
It has a totally different hardware though, so not really possible. :)
Is it hard to say which one truly has better hardware, marketing BS aside?

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #42,917 of 45,723
It has a totally different hardware though, so not really possible. :)

Just like the 1A has different hardware than the 1Z? Huh? What?

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #42,918 of 45,723
Dude, if any machine can surpass the DMP-Z1, wouldn't that be a bunch of money saved for someone who wants to experience that technology?
Definitely!!
If Hardware limitations isn’t existed.
It is like saying that I could have a flying pig as a pet if reality doesn’t apply
However, I have seen these Similar instances in many other hobbies, including Car modifications. They call it replicas, an MR2 from Toyota can be converted to Ferrari, and that automatically makes it a (Ferrari in the believers mind) :wink:

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #42,919 of 45,723
giphy.gif

Yep.

It actually has the same S-Master HX chip, as well as the same 512MB of RAM, and the same SoC (CPU). :)
I know there might be a couple of limitations, but still, always wondered how would it be to have a modded firmware for this platform, anything you share with us will be truly appreciated, it would be funny for people to jump into the nw series cause of a new firmware, price wise is waaaaaay more affordable than a wm1, i dont expect it to have the same wiring, nor the elegant chasis with all the details that make the wm1 such a high end player, but! imagine the possibilites:

1597154240565.png

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #42,920 of 45,723
DSEE HX for PC does exist:

https://musiccenter.sony.net/en/instruction/inst013.php

It could be AI enchanced:

http://sonymusiccenter.blogspot.com/2018/10/sony-music-centre-gets-ai-strengthened.html?m=1

Sony Music Centre Software gets the THIRD VERSION OF DSEE HX which incorporates AI - you can see it in the AVLib folder with Metallic Database Library and Music Mining Library. Of course, we still don't know if this version might be an older or intermediate version...of course it's not the 2nd version with 5 presets, and the first version only supported up to 24/192.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #42,922 of 45,723
DSEE HX for PC does exist:

https://musiccenter.sony.net/en/instruction/inst013.php

It could be AI enchanced:

http://sonymusiccenter.blogspot.com/2018/10/sony-music-centre-gets-ai-strengthened.html?m=1

Sony Music Centre Software gets the THIRD VERSION OF DSEE HX which incorporates AI - you can see it in the AVLib folder with Metallic Database Library and Music Mining Library. Of course, we still don't know if this version might be an older or intermediate version...of course it's not the 2nd version with 5 presets, and the first version only supported up to 24/192.
So meaning the DSEE HX in theory can or cannot match the DMP-Z1?

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #42,925 of 45,723
Does anyone have video showing the UI speed improvements with mrwalkmans firmware? Really curious to see it in action.

It’s been a jump since 1.00 that’s for sure. If MrWalkmans is faster (like it seems) also 3.02 regular is fast too, faster than 1.00.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #42,926 of 45,723
It’s been a jump since 1.20 that’s for sure. If MrWalkmans is faster (like it seems) also 3.02 regular is fast too, faster than 1.20.

I'm probably buying one of the used wm1a currently for sale here, so just curious to know how much better it’ll be than all of the YouTube video reviews which show the kind of laggy performance. FYI, I got an ibasso dx160 yesterday and I think it sounds really good but Android is killing me...just hoping the 1A doesn’t make me regret getting rid of the ibasso.

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #42,927 of 45,723
HQPlayer does a blanket upsampling on the entire waveform, while Sony DSEE HX AI does sound source separation, which analyzes and splits up music into different elements and apply different upsampling method for each element before remixing back into one waveform again.

With this kind of sound splitting technique, I believe that is why Sony is able to add Soundstage height effect that is not possible with conventional upsampling algorithms like HQPlayer.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #42,928 of 45,723
HQPlayer does a blanket upsampling on the entire waveform, while Sony DSEE HX AI does sound source separation, which analyzes and splits up music into different elements and apply different upsampling method for each element before remixing back into one waveform again.

With this kind of sound splitting technique, I believe that is why Sony is able to add Soundstage height effect that is not possible with conventional upsampling algorithms like HQPlayer.
Does it mean it could sound better directly off the PC using Sony Music Center?

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #42,929 of 45,723
Just like the 1A has different hardware than the 1Z? Huh? What?

Well, it's a different story with the Z1 :)

I'm probably buying one of the used wm1a currently for sale here, so just curious to know how much better it’ll be than all of the YouTube video reviews which show the kind of laggy performance. FYI, I got an ibasso dx160 yesterday and I think it sounds really good but Android is killing me...just hoping the 1A doesn’t make me regret getting rid of the ibasso.

It's not laggy anymore on latest versions of the firmware. Those videos are probably with pre 3.0x versions.

I have no idea if 2.0x is still as fast as 3.0x, but 1.xx versions were surely laggy.

I had a FiiO M11 Pro, Android, and the OS was a real let down. It was a good reason why I decided to try WM1A and not ZX507 - and I'm really glad with the choice!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #42,930 of 45,723
Been listening to some tracks on Youtube and they are great! Funny I've never heard of them but remember Steve Arrington having hits in the 80s.

Hi Bill , glad you liked them - yeah these cats went kinda unnoticed which is a shame , as i have been VERY impressed by their body of work between 1977-83 (7 or 8 albums)

btw , i also managed to download the steve arrington discography and it's very enjoyable (although not as pure funk as Slave were)

Btw , if you want a more 'boogie'/disco sound that has Slave connections , check out this band as well - Aurra (4 albums in the 80s)

all these can be found on platforms like Deezer or just search via amazon/discogs for their albums in physical form

Let me copy/paste a post i just did in Steve Hoffman forums , about Slave and 2 other hugely fantastic old-school funk bands/artists ....

======================================================================================================================

So covid made me quit smoking (weed and tobacco) , quitting smoking made me start running , running made me start listening to old-school funk again and these 3 artists are the ones whose (fantastic) discography i have been playing nonstop those last few days/weeks

Slave (more about these cats down the post)
Bootsy Collins / Bootsy's Rubber Band
Graham Central Station

Slave especially have become top-3 favorite funk artists - fantastic body of work, these cats have like 7-8 albums between 1977-83 which really SLAY - and zero corny ballads , which has always been the Achilles' heel of funk music/albums

ps: It's also very convenient , that there are those amazing 'Original Albums Series' 5-albums-in-1' bundle for all 3 artists i mention , which cover 85-90% of their peak body of work (all 5 albums in each bundle is great)

All 3 bundles are Rhino Reissues , so you know that the sound is gonna be real good.....

https://www.discogs.com/de/sell/release/4559644?ev=rb

R-4559644-1596016359-1757.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2112154?ev=rb

R-2112154-1264681322.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/5155467?ev=rb

R-5155467-1386002268-1344.jpeg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back